Recovery from UPPP surgery

This is the forum for off topic discussions.

• Site Supporter

Day 8

Postby sapoluman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:47 am

Blane, I tried overtaking the truck and almost got hit by another truck heading in the opposite direction. LOL

This is day 8 for me, and I saw some bleeding last night. I attempted some Chili and rice the night before last, and maybe that was the problem, so I'm going back to my ice cream and slim fast drinks. I had ramen tonight and that was really good. Wife also through in bits of portuguese sausage and that really topped it.

I've been coughing a lot and started taking some cough medicine. I don't see my doctor for another few days, but I think my stitching is coming undone in the upper palate area.

Could you guys also tell me if you have/had this problem: I can breath in very well through my nose, but when I try to breath out through my nose, say when I'm lying down, I find it very hard to do so and end up opening my mouth to let the air out. Is this supposed to happen? Is it one of the problems we face during recovery? javascript:emoticon('#-o')

Pstar: Wasn't able to link to the other post, could you re-send it please? Thanks. javascript:emoticon(':-)')
sapoluman

Postby Pstar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:57 am

Sapo...links resent and working. Lots of swelling still, maybe that's playing a role...supine sleeping is not good if you're trying that.
Pstar

Re: Day 8

Postby huckflinn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Could you guys also tell me if you have/had this problem: I can breath in very well through my nose, but when I try to breath out through my nose, say when I'm lying down, I find it very hard to do so and end up opening my mouth to let the air out. Is this supposed to happen? Is it one of the problems we face during recovery? javascript:emoticon('#-o')

(not sure if i am posting this correctly)

i had the UPPP and tosilectomy 12 days ago...
and i also am very concerned about the difficulty with exhaling through my nose.
I am hoping it will get better when swelling goes down....
any input from anyone else with similar problem is greaty appreciated.

this forum is great.... wish i would have been here before i had the surgery!
huckflinn

day 12

Postby Tugger » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Still only sleeping in increments is wearing down on me. Woke up from a nap and vomitted I have maniged to go all this time with out that hope it dont happen again. Can't get the smell out of my nose. There was blood in it which I suppose is probly why it happened; Gross! Took a shower and used lots of salty nasal spray.

Oddly enough I was craving real food after; a hot dog at that? (normally would never consider after such an experance.) But craving was overwhelming so I just ate a hotdog on a bun with ketchup. Man it was good and as sadistic as that sounds the swallowing with the bread and everything felt good?

Sap & Huck
I had the works done on my nose and sinuses also I have never breathed as good through my nose as I do now so I have nothing to relate to your situation; sorry.
Tugger

Re: Day 8

Postby sapoluman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:36 pm

huckflinn wrote:Could you guys also tell me if you have/had this problem: I can breath in very well through my nose, but when I try to breath out through my nose, say when I'm lying down, I find it very hard to do so and end up opening my mouth to let the air out. Is this supposed to happen? Is it one of the problems we face during recovery? javascript:emoticon('#-o')

(not sure if i am posting this correctly)

i had the UPPP and tosilectomy 12 days ago...
and i also am very concerned about the difficulty with exhaling through my nose.
I am hoping it will get better when swelling goes down....
any input from anyone else with similar problem is greaty appreciated.

this forum is great.... wish i would have been here before i had the surgery!

huckflinn: Guess what? I just answered my problem today. I too had UPPP and Tonsilectomy, but only 9 days ago. This morning, I woke up to the same stuffiness in my nose and still having the exhaling problem as I mentioned in my earlier post. However, with excruciating pain and a lot of patience, I was able to hack up and spit out all that stuff that was "living" up in my adenoid and nose passage area. Contents consisted of mucus, milky substance (possibly from food or milk), and clunky semi-dried blood. I notified my doctor and informed him of what happened and he replied that he could've prescribed me a nose spray that would've done ALL OF THAT minus the pain, but I failed to mention anything about it at my last appointment. Man, the relief is sooooooo worth it!!!!! I guess you can just request the spray (don't know what it's called) from your doctor and avoid what I had to go through.
sapoluman

Postby huckflinn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:42 pm

wow....
that's crazy!
I can't tell you how relieved i am to hear that, (for both you and me) and i'm seeing the doc on tuesday...
and, glad that you were able to get it clear, but sorry it cost you so much pain.

Get well soon...
better every day!
huckflinn

Postby Pstar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:50 pm

If that's what it is, get one of these [commercial link deleted. Please review posting guidelines in the stickies at the top of the fourms]

Rinse at least 3x's day, more if you want. Steady, even pressure. It will loosen and remove any debris, scabs etc. and the salt solution is a great decongestant. I've been using it since my septoplasty etc 6 weeks ago. My Dr. said everyone should be doing this once or twice a day regardless, like flossing your teeth. It also helps prevent colds and allergies.
Pstar

good to hear

Postby Tugger » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:08 pm

I hope that works for both of you I did not even think about that I have a nose spray I am using once a day and use the saline alot did not put that together with what you had going on as I have not been stuffed up.
Tugger

Yup that works!!

Postby sapoluman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 am

Pstar wrote:If that's what it is, get one of these [commercial link deleted. Please review posting guidelines in the stickies at the top of the fourms]

Rinse at least 3x's day, more if you want. Steady, even pressure. It will loosen and remove any debris, scabs etc. and the salt solution is a great decongestant. I've been using it since my septoplasty etc 6 weeks ago. My Dr. said everyone should be doing this once or twice a day regardless, like flossing your teeth. It also helps prevent colds and allergies.

Yup, my wife uses that twice a week. I tried it a few times before and that stuff really clears you up.
Don't know why, but I never thought to use it, and my wife's set is here in my house. I'm gonna use it tonight. I don't know if it'll work though. If I can re-call, the muscles (from the upper palate) that was removed during surgery, is supposed to help with close the back side so you can drain through your opposite nostril. Let me know if I'm mistaken. Still trying it anyway.

Day 9 is a little better for me. Don't feel as much pain as before, and I was able to go a little longer today without the pain meds.

Hope everybody's doing good over here!!! Thanks all again for your inputs.
sapoluman

Day 13 or 12

Postby Tugger » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:45 am

Woke up again with throut full of blood yuck! Fill sick to stomoch. No profuse bleeding but not a good mixture with sleep, assumming this is normal can any one confirm that? Appears to be from right where toncils used to be have just been drinking/ gargleing with ice water and it stops

Thanks, Blaine
Tugger

Sap/ Tug

Postby Artvaldes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:40 am

Sap, it's great to see that you're starting to feel better and the "truck"is beginning to pull over out of your way. One of the things I did as soon as I was able to go a little longer without the pain meds was buy a tylenol pain reliever that was easy to swallow and start taking that instead of the hardcore pain med so as to ween myself off and not have any other issues.
Tug, I really wish I could offer you some advice but, I think if at day 12 or 13 your still experiencing bleeding its really concerning. Have you tried calling your Dr.? Have you stayed with the soft foods. Sorry really wish I could help you.
Happy healings :-D ,
Art
Artvaldes

Postby Pstar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:11 am

42 posts and this silly site still won't let me post a link. Anyways, the product is Neil Med.

I think it might work better if it doesn't flow out the other nostril in this case anyways. Keep you mouth open and exhale if you have to to keep it from flowing down your wind pipe. Let it flow out the mouth.

Blaine, did you have a nose procedure too? If so, mine bled for a while, particularly if I didn't keep up with regular nose rinses. Maybe that's the source.
Pstar

ugh!

Postby Tugger » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:26 am

Yea I did I have 2 calls into the doctors office sounds like the nurse is out sick today. The receptionist says they are all booked up I might go in any ways if I can't get a call back. the area has alot of sick folks the news is saying they are asking people to stay home for flu like symtoms and that the clinics and hospitals are packed. My ENT shares lobby with theurgent care at the clinic. had the hick ups for about 20 minutes this morning and that sucks. Thanks for the input from all.
Tugger

WE'll see

Postby Tugger » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:18 pm

The doctors office called me back want to see me at 1:15 (3 hours) I see then What the doc thinks, Yea!
Tugger

Postby Pstar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Cool. I'd bring a face mask if I were you. That waiting room is going to be a bio hazard zone with all the sickness going around and you'll probably be sitting there quite a while with people hacking all over you. What happened to the house call days? Like the old movies where they call the Dr's office and the nurse says, the DR. will be right over...yeah right.
Pstar

PreviousNext

• Site Supporter

Return to Late Night With Sleep Apnea