OSB-Oral Systemic Balance

This forum is for the discussion of approved dental devices.

• Site Supporter

OSB-Oral Systemic Balance

Postby fredhughes » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:08 am

Has anyone had direct experience with OSB Oral Systemic Balance dental appliance invented by a dentist in Tacoma, Farrand Robson? My dentist is convinced she can get me off of cpap using this device along with a host of other supposed benefits. But I can't find a single it of information on it realting tests or sleep studies with patients using it. Just anecdotal information on the various websites of the dentists doing it. It's very expensive but if it worked it could be worth it.
fredhughes

Re: OSB-Oral Systemic Balance

Postby Daniel » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:16 am

fredhughes wrote:Has anyone had direct experience with OSB Oral Systemic Balance dental appliance invented by a dentist in Tacoma, Farrand Robson? My dentist is convinced she can get me off of cpap using this device along with a host of other supposed benefits. But I can't find a single it of information on it realting tests or sleep studies with patients using it. Just anecdotal information on the various websites of the dentists doing it. It's very expensive but if it worked it could be worth it.

Interesting concept. Not a lot of information, with the exception of patient testimonials and statements from 'qualified/certified OSB practitioners'.

I have a number of concerns:

Treatment appears to be over an extended period (6/8 weeks).
There doesn't appear to be any input from a 'sleep doctor'.
It appears to be a 'franchise' type of set up. Practitioner is approved by the manufacturer (probably for a fee).
Not sure on how long the device lasts......some statements indicate that the lifetime could be short (this will lead to insurance problems).
Treatment/Device is NOT covered automatically. YOU have to pay up front and YOU have to deal with the health insurer. In this regard I am somewhat sceptical about recovering the outlay.
I can't find any reference to FDA Approval.
I can't find any references to 'independent clinical trials' (not funded by the manufacturer).

It appears to be quite an expensive option........with no clearly published clinical trials results.

IMHO, stay clear until some hard facts appear.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

OSB

Postby fredhughes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Thank you Daniel for your input and I mostly agree. Although the dentist I've seen is rather convincing in terms of holding out hope for curing OSA with OSB. I am still searching for ANY independent tests and have found none. If anyone out there has tried the Oral Systemic Balance system for any maladay or for sleep apnea, I'd love to hear from you.
fredhughes

Re

Postby Nelsonn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Oral Systemic Balance is a patented therapeutic system that employs oral appliances or orthodics to facilitate greater ease of oral function, particularly breathing Denstist believe that it may address the root cause of many chronic health conditions including chronic fatigue and fibromaylgia syndromes, chronic Lyme disease, TMJ, sleep apnea, insomnia and anxiety disorders.
Mechanicsburg PA Dentists
Nelsonn

OSB

Postby fredhughes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Nelsonn,

Thanks for the reply but I've seen many of these claims but so far nobody, not the practitioners, the inventor or anyone else back them up with any clinical studies, just anecdotal evidence.

Fred
fredhughes

Postby Katterbach » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

I have actually had one of these mouth appliances for about 10 years. Well, I've had 2 since the first one wore out. My husband is a dentist and heard Dr. Robson speak. I love my appliance and am now trying to figure out what to do since my second one is wearing out and I no longer live near Tacoma. It is basically called a jaw extender and helps me breath at night. My medical insurance paid for it. I'm not sure how they submitted a diagnosis. I had mild snoring and didn't get too much into Dr. Robson's philosophy about pain etc. etc, but he knows what he is doing with TMJ and my appliance has been wonderful. He is definitely a serious dental practitioner and not a fraud. As for claims as to what this appliance helps, I can't speak to that except that for me it was wonderful.
Katterbach

Former Patient

Postby bagelboy1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm

I have tried the OSB treatment and found that it provided good results for my TMJ but fell far short of ever relieving me from my sleep apnea. I was sold into trying out the day time device to deal with my TMJ. Which honestly it seemed to help quite a bit. The problem was the night device sucked. It broke numerous times and guess who was paying for it to get fixed. That's right me! I have honestly given up hope on finding an appliance for my sleep apnea. I broke off ties with my dentist and now I am looking for an appliance that deals with my TMJ. Honestly OSB has one thing right. The idea behind the device is it puts your mouth in the best position so you can breath more effectively which then relieves stress from the rest of the body. It works! I see a PT to deal with my aches and pains in my back. Before I got the OSB treamtment I was not able to do really anything active. Now I am able throw a disc golf disc 300 ft, which is just incredible considering where I came from.

As far as sleep apnea goes since this is a sleep apnea forum. If you have severe sleep apnea I would highly suggest not going down this road to fix that issue. I was never able to get a sleep study because the appliance continued to break. I never felt well rested after wearing it. Stick with the CPAP as awkward as it is.
bagelboy1

Postby futureboy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:24 am

I'd like to try the OSB but treatment is minimum $8,000 and max $14,000 where I am. No money back guarantee, he doesn't take insurance, and insurance probably doesn't cover it anyway unless it can be written as some form of TMJD treatment or maybe orthodontia -- so what happens if it doesn't work? The dentist will just say sorry, but thanks for paying for contributing to my kid's school fund.

If the OSB were FDA-approved and insurance accepted it, I would be much more interested. But for now I'm calling shenanigans -- and the doctor Robson should be ashamed of himself for charging so much money for a glorified night guard.
futureboy

Postby TiredInTenn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:25 pm

i tried it and it didn't work for me.
TiredInTenn

Postby rocketman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:14 am

Whatever you do, do NOT try OSB. I tried it in late '09 to early '10 and it permanently screwed me up. The goal is to move your tongue back, but that's further into the airway. I only used it for a total of about 25 days at most out of 3 months, but it caused my tongue to keep moving after I stopped using it and now I am incredibly worse than I was when I went to see them. I went to Tacoma to see Robson and was following up in Falls Church, VA with Strauss... It was Strauss' adjustments that really screwed me up.
rocketman

Year Diagnosed: 2007

• Site Supporter