Oral appliance device vs CPAP: same effect with either?

This forum is for the discussion of approved dental devices.

Oral appliance device vs CPAP: same effect with either?

Postby morgan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Regarding apnea cases that are mild to moderate (mild > moderate), is an oral device just as effective as a CPAP machine for treating symptoms? I've been on CPAP for a number of years, and recently was retested. I wiegh 80 lbs less now than when I had my first apnea study done years ago. The lab people told me it looks like my apnea severity rating will drop to mild or moderate (it was tested at the severe level originally, years ago).

So, I'm wondering...maybe an oral device (specially crafted dental device that locks the jaw forward) may be preferable to a CPAP this time around? What are peoples' experiences and knowledge regarding this issue?
morgan

Re: Oral appliance device vs CPAP: same effect with either?

Postby a.b.luisi,d.m.d. » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:59 pm

I am a dentist working in dental sleep medicine. I must say that CPAP and oral appliances can not be considered absolutely equivalent because CPAP has consistently shown greater efficacy than oral appliances. However, the real question is whether or not an oral appliance would sufficiently treat your problems. My experience is that for patients with mild to moderate OSA, a top quality appliance, like the TAP3, will reliably treat the problem most of the time. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine has stated(see http://www.AASM.org., 2005 protocol for use of oral appliances) that either CPAP or oral appliances would be a reasonable choice for people with mild to moderate OSA. As with any medical procedure, there is no absolute guarantee of success. You need to be examined by a top-notch dental sleep medicine dentist to be sure that you qualify before making a decision. Probably about 85% will qualify. A lot of people with mild to moderate OSA seem to like the oral appliances a lot. At the very severe level, people seem pretty content with the CPAP. Good luck to you.
a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

• Site Supporter