Open sore on bridge of nose... HELP!

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

Open sore on bridge of nose... HELP!

Postby Cdnjess » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm not having a good time here... took to CPAP like a breeze and I'm thankful for that but the mask is causing pain to the bridge of my nose and now I have an open sore that won't go away.

I've spoken to where I got the mask (it's still a loaner) at least 3x about the sore nose. They said to losen but if I do that my mask leaks (pressure is 15)....then they said to wear a bandaid with antibacterial cream.... but that isn't helping.. asked about other mask options (full face - I'm a big mouth breather) and they said there aren't many full face options. It seems like maybe they only have Resmed masks - I've tried the Quattro FX and mirage (mirage is what is messing up my nose). I'm thinking maybe I'll try the FX again...

Should I sleep without my mask for a couple of nights to clear this up and then start playing around with losening it up? Last night it hurt to even wear the mask. I don't know what to do!! I do know that I'm wearing it too tight... but I don't know how to stop the leaks otherwise.

I'm SO frustrated! Any advice?
Cdnjess

Re: Open sore on bridge of nose... HELP!

Postby Cdnjess » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 pm

btw, I just ordered the sample pack of those zzzz face protector things (yeah, it's late and I can't remember the name haha).

Until they arrive... skip wearing the mask and try to heal?
Cdnjess

Postby Sleepster » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Saying they have a limited number of masks is a lame excuse. Call them and tell them that the bandaid doesn't work and that you need a different mask. Maybe nasal pillows with a chin strap, or a hybrid.
IPAP 10, EPAP 7, Bi-Flex 3, Humidifier 2
Sleepster

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Pro
Mask: ComfortLite2 Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: PR System One
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby dragon672 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm having the same issue with the exact same mask. I started out with the Quattro FX as well and I thought it wasn't sealing right and blowing into my eyes too much and asked for another mask. They replaced it with the Mirage and within 2 days I've gotten an open sore on my nose. I'm going back to the Quattro FX tonight and then I don't know what to do. I need some advice as well.
dragon672

Machine: System One REMstar Auto A Flex
Mask: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Yes System One
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby Cdnjess » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Sleepster wrote:Saying they have a limited number of masks is a lame excuse. Call them and tell them that the bandaid doesn't work and that you need a different mask. Maybe nasal pillows with a chin strap, or a hybrid.

That's what I'm thinking!!!!! I have an appt on Thursday and will discuss this with them. Or maybe I'll need to switch to another provider. I'm just so frustrated. The CPAP treatment - I'm loving.. this ](*,) mask, I'm hating!
Cdnjess

Postby Sleepster » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:34 pm

Same advice. Call the provider an explain that the mask is not fitting you properly. Don't feel the need to make excuses for yourself. Getting a comfortable fit is essential to effective therapy. Doctors, providers, and insurance companies understand that the number one problem with CPAP therapy is patient compliance. They will do whatever it takes to get you into a mask that allows you to comply with the therapy.
IPAP 10, EPAP 7, Bi-Flex 3, Humidifier 2
Sleepster

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Pro
Mask: ComfortLite2 Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: PR System One
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Cdnjess » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 am

Can I use a hybrid when my pressure is 15?

I can't sleep right now. I've gone from 100% compliant to being completely distraught and not wanting to sleep. I played around with the mask and now it's leaking all over the place and I can't figure out how I've been using it for the past 3 weeks succesfully (albeit with a sore nose). I honestly don't think I could feel worse right now.

On a side note, I feel like I have had absolutely NO support from anyone. When I was diagnosed I was with the doctor for 5 min. He pretty much said "It's a good thing you came for the study, you stop breathing 85 times and hour which is severe to extreme" and then handed me RESMED brochures and sent me out the door CRYING.
Cdnjess

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!