• Site Supporter

on oxygen; blue above upper lip; blue on lower lip

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

on oxygen; blue above upper lip; blue on lower lip

Postby newone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:55 am

hello all,

I have started on oxygen at night approximately 9/18/12. Today I see I have some blue on my lower lip. I can tell my skin above my upper lip is slightly blue, and that has been going on since starting oxygen. Some days I am extremely tired since starting oxygen and have slept a lot during the day. Somedays, I don't need a nap at all :) but that is pretty rare. My legs, hands, ankles and feet have mild swelling for approximately 8 weeks. I think I need to get to the bottom of what is causing the swelling. I am now getting really worried about the blueness.

I did a Zumba class a couple of days ago. Then I did weight lifting. After returning home, I felt ok, but tested my oxygen and found it to be 80, then it climbed up to 88. I took a nap, and oxygen was ok after that . Respiratory therapist came by later and said it can happen that oxygen levels go down after exercising. It seems my oxygen levels jump around at times.

Has anyone else experienced the blueness, and have any idea what it means?

Thank you very much.
newone

Re: on oxygen; blue above upper lip; blue on lower lip

Postby Bons » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Blue lips is often a sign of poor oxygenation. CALL YOUR DOCTOR. Get pulmonary and cardiac consultations.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby newone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:28 am

Thank you, Bons, for your reply. That is precisely what I was worried about. I have an appointment Monday with primary care. They thought I should continue with 02. Chest office closed today and will call back on Monday. Just had echocardiogram 10/1/12, but might need to a cardiologist about symptoms. Lower lip is blue all except for inside middle area. PC gave me the option of going to ER if I am short of breath/dizzy which I'm not. I plan to try to wait it out until Monday. I took 2 inhalations of rescue inhaler around noon because I thought I might have felt a bit tight in chest. That improved my peak flow and made forced wheeze better. Another possibility I'm wondering about is if Proton Pump Inhibitor med is causing the swelling...I had a bad reaction to omeprazole after I'd been on it for a couple of years...and switched to another kind. Need to let sleep study doc know symptoms... Another symptom I have had over the last week is my hands tingle when I wake up so I think they go numb when I sleep. Hopefully someone can figure out what is going on, and hopefully it is not serious. THANK YOU 2 YOU. Powdrells mañana noon 4th. I'm going to try to figure out how to work the recording pulse oximeter and try to exercise with it and wear it overnight, etc. because it may give docs some useful data.
newone

Postby newone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 pm

I went to urgent care today because I read on the computer yesterday that a blue lip can mean a severe asthma attack. Since I have not had that many asthma attacks, because I have had mental fog and stress, and because I have had asthma (seasonally) only in the last few years--and mildly (PC I haven't seen in years diagnosed it initially but at that point it turned out to be a bad lung infection), I was not even aware how to detect an attack in myself. Administering oxygen yesterday did not improve the color of my lips, but taking two puffs of ventolin did. It also helped me feel more energetic.

I went to urgent care BECAUSE I read on the internet that blue lips can be a sign of a severe asthma attack and you should call 911. Since I did not do this, because I just used some ventolin, I thought I should get checked out there since I still saw blueness today.

Over there, they thought/asked if the I'd eaten any blue food. I had not. They said my oxygen was good at 94 and said lip looked bruised. They were quite concerned with documenting the exact date of my LMP for some reason...which seemed very strange... until this afternoon when I realized I had cancelled a sleep study recently because I was bleeding heavily and had told them so. I realize due to my faulty calculation I gave them the wrong date this morning. Since I am aware that all my doctors receive my communications here, I will say I think it was October 10. I think I "get why" they were making such an issue of it today given my past accusations--which I stand by by the way!!!

I used two more puffs of ventolin after I got back from urgent care, and again the color and energy improved. I also notice during the exercising my oxygen levels were higher!!! YAY!!! Saturday morning, with no ventolin, they went down to 90 when I was exercising. The recording pulse oxcimeter is a great idea!!
newone

Postby Xney » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Glad you have a tool to check your O2% with. :)
Xney

Postby newone » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 am

So am I! :)
newone

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!