Non Rebreathing Valve???

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Non Rebreathing Valve???

Postby jenn52 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:22 pm

I tried to use the Flexifit 432 full face mask last nite but so much air was blowing out of the Non Rebreathing Valve, I couldn't handle it. It was so loud. Is air supposed to blow out of it like crazy?
jenn52

Postby ApexAZ » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Yes. Different masks have different levels and direction of ventilation.
Brian
Severe OSA
19/15 cmH2O
PR SystemOne BiPAP Auto
F&P Forma Full Face Mask
ApexAZ

Postby Catnap 59 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I have the Flexfit 431 the one I just received seems to have a 'leak' or something
with rebreathing value too- it sounds like a wind tunnel....
I went back to the old mask- same model, there is some air movement, but no noise...
Can't see any difference between the two, they look identical.
I'm going to contact my DME company and see if I can replace it.
Catnap 59

Flexifit 431

Postby Len514 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:43 am

I just started using the Flexifit mask also. Everything was going well until I also recently noticed the same annoying hissing sound of air leaking through the Non-Rebreathing Valve. Its the type of noise that your brain can tune out if you forget about it, but once you think about it, its there and annoying. I called my DME and they told me its probably defective and gave me a new mask. But, the new mask did the same thing. When I put my fingers over the two holes of the non-rebreathing valve the noise goes away and the mask would be super quiet.

Can anyone let me know if I should try a different mask brand, or just get used to this.

I use Resmed S9 on #13.
Len514

Postby Bons » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:27 pm

I started on a 432 last night after having leak issues after my first two CPAP nights on a quattro. The 432 is way louder than the quattro and in the middle of the night, have asleep, it's easy to convince yourself you are not going to be able to breathe because all the air is going out the vent and not into your mask. I'm hoping it's supposed to be that noisy because there's nothing to be done about it until after the holiday weekend.
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Which Vents?

Postby Len514 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Bons wrote:I started on a 432 last night after having leak issues after my first two CPAP nights on a quattro. The 432 is way louder than the quattro and in the middle of the night, have asleep, it's easy to convince yourself you are not going to be able to breathe because all the air is going out the vent and not into your mask. I'm hoping it's supposed to be that noisy because there's nothing to be done about it until after the holiday weekend.

Which vents? The group of tiny holes at the top of mask or the two vents in the non-rebreathing valve? Lots of air comes through the tiny holes by design. Jury seems to out on whats acceptable on the non-rebreathing valve.
Len514

Re: Which Vents?

Postby Bons » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 pm

[quote="Len514"

Which vents? The group of tiny holes at the top of mask or the two vents in the non-rebreathing valve? Lots of air comes through the tiny holes by design. Jury seems to out on whats acceptable on the non-rebreathing valve.[/quote]

The two holes on the non-rebreathing valves are the ones that bug me. Sometimes it seems like the air is coming so fast out the valve that it doesn't get into the mask..... there are times when I can't feel the air blast from the pressure when I inhale. I guess I'm just still new at this and nervous....I'm eager to see what the smart card shows when the doc prints it out in three weeks.
Bons

Re: Which Vents?

Postby Len514 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:33 pm

My non-rebreathing valve leaks air too and it bugs me, though only a little air passes through both vents constantly making a light SSHHHHH noise. I did call my DME about it and they said it shouldn't leak and gave me a brand new mask which did the same excact thing. So it looks like its probably a normal thing to leak a little air. They said they will contact the manufacturer of the mask to get clarification, if they ever get back to me I will let me know what they say. Please keep me updated on what you find out. If these masks are all from a defective lot of inventory and we don't have live with this additional noise then we shouldn't, or in your case you are missing needed oxygen.
Len514

Postby Bons » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:25 pm

I sent an email off to the company itself, and hope to talk to my DME staff tomorrow. Last night there was no air coming from the valve when I went to sleep, but it was flowing out when I woke during the night.
Bons

Postby Bons » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:56 am

Product description for the 431 says: "The exhaust diffuser is a group of small holes which quiet the exhaust flow. There is a valve in the mask elbow that will open if the airflow stops and allow you to breathe room air."

The DME "therapist" told me that the air is SUPPOSED to flow out of the neck to remove the exhaled air. So I'm on my way over to visit her with the printout in hand.... :evil:
Bons

Postby Bons » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:28 pm

I just got an email from the manufacturer. The valve should NOT be releasing air when the machine is operating correctly. They told me to download the email from them and bring it to my DME who is to replace the valve. Just for fun, since this DME is not a good one, I think I'll bring in the mask this afternoon to show them the problem. When the RT tells me that it's supposed to be releasing air, I'll hand her the letter.....
Bons

Flexifit Non-Rebreathing Valve Leak

Postby Len514 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Bons wrote:I just got an email from the manufacturer. The valve should NOT be releasing air when the machine is operating correctly. They told me to download the email from them and bring it to my DME who is to replace the valve. Just for fun, since this DME is not a good one, I think I'll bring in the mask this afternoon to show them the problem. When the RT tells me that it's supposed to be releasing air, I'll hand her the letter.....

Thank you for confirming this and sharing the info. I am going to get mine replaced again.
Len514

non-rebreather valve problem

Postby marknbert » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:16 pm

I have had a CPAP machine for 3 1/2 years. Recently I replaced my face mask (FlexiFit 431) and soon as I turned it on I could hear alot of air coming out of the 2 holes on the non-rebreather valve. So I went back to my medical supplier (Peru, IL) and got another one. Same thing. I wound up trying 2 more and still the same thing. I have a 2 year old and 3 year old valve that work fine with very little to almost no air leaking out. I contacted Fisher & Paykel and they said there should be no air coming out of the non-rebreather valve with the machine on. It's like having a leak in the hose. Something wrong here. They told me to return the valve and have my supplier return the valves to them. The supplier got new valves in and they are doing the same thing. Fisher said they are looking into this. This problem must have been in the last 2 years because I see other complaints across the country. My old ones work better than the new ones. The reason for these holes is when the machine is running there are 2 flaps that close the holes to seal them from leaking and air would go into your mask. If your power goes out your machine stops and flaps would move and open up the holes and allow you to breathe in room air. That is the purpose for the valve. With the valve leaking as it is, you're not receiving the correst amount of air that it is supposed to provide you. Plus the additional air noise is annoying and would affect my sleep and my wifes sleep. I will post any additional information from Fisher if and when I receive it. I do believe their engineers need to really examine what is going on with the valve in the last 2 years.
marknbert

Re: Non Rebreathing Valve???

Postby marknbert » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:32 pm

jenn52 wrote:I tried to use the Flexifit 432 full face mask last nite but so much air was blowing out of the Non Rebreathing Valve, I couldn't handle it. It was so loud. Is air supposed to blow out of it like crazy?
No, the air is not suppose to come out of the holes in the valve when the machine is on. According to the manufacture. They have changed something in the valve in the last 2 years. I'm having the same problem with many valves that I've tried. I'm using my 2 year old valve that works fine. Mark
marknbert

Postby Bons » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:04 pm

I've gotten to the point that I wrap my top sheet around the dang thing. I figure that if the power goes out I can breathe through the normal exhalation port in the mask itself until I wake up when my body senses the pressure drop.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions