Noisy CPAP?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

Noisy CPAP?

Postby mikeyboy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:33 pm

I have been using a resmed s7 cpap machine and recently insurance replaced it with a respironics remstar M series. This respironics machine is a lot smaller than my older s7 but much louder. I hated the c-flex option so I had it disabled.

Also, when I breathe in and out, my wife says the breathing sound from the machine sounds like a snoring sound. It drives her nuts. The s7 was a consistant air normal breathing sound with no fluctuations of sound when breathing in and out. Is that normal with this respironics m series model? The technician said this is the latest model. Is anyone else having the same issue?

Resmed's website has an s8 model. Which one is good? I would like one that is easy to travel with, have a humidifier option with a smart card capability. And most importantly, VERY QUIET replicating a normal breathing sound.

Please help...Thank you!
mikeyboy

Postby nitro71 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 am

I don't know about the noise of the Resmed vs the Resperonics but I've found running a small fan at night helps immensely in masking the breathing sound.
nitro71

Postby lynn543 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 am

it may help to place CPAP on a soft rubber base, dont cover it as it needs to suck air in
resmed S6 lightweight, respironics comfort gell mask using CPAP since 1995, no humidifier
during my many years of undiagnosed severe fatigue, no doctor ever asked me if I snored
lynn543

Postby mikeyboy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:58 am

Can anybody compare the resmed remstart m series that I have to the s8 elite II CPAP machine?
mikeyboy

Postby TXLadybug » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:23 pm

I had the Respironics Remstar M series model 510, which was supposed to be the newest Autopap out. I hated the noise and got me DME to exchange it for the ResMed AutoSet II w/EPR. It is as silent as a mouse and no big blue lights! I can't tell you about the ResMed cpap models exactly, but mine is in CPAP mode, not Auto mode and I have pushed the on button multiple times because I couldn't tell for sure it was working! This one's a keeper.
ResMed Auto Set II w/hi4 Pressure 9 - 20 EPR at 3 Mirage Softgel or , FitLlife
Orig AHI 30.4 RDI 36 & RLS/PLMB
TXLadybug

Postby mikeyboy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:59 pm

I have the respironics 510 model too. Who recommended the Redmed Auto Set II to you? When I called Resmed, they recommended the s8 Elite II model.

Does anybody know if the S8 Elite II make the breathing noise when you inhale/exhale like the Respironics M series model 510?
mikeyboy

Postby sleeping_now » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:04 pm

mikeyboy wrote:Can anybody compare the resmed remstart m series that I have to the s8 elite II CPAP machine?

I have had both. The respironics is much noisier. Mine sounds like Darth Vader. There is an accessory which dampens the noise. I wear ear plugs as my mask is much noisier.

Sleeping
sleeping_now

Postby mikeyboy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:18 pm

What do you think about the Resmed S8 Elite II product? Do you hear yourself breathing in/out with the Elite II?

Did that accessory work for the Respironics? I was thinking there has to be a problem with noise with this one if they're selling a part to reduce noise. Just weird why they wouldnt include it with the CPAP already.
mikeyboy

• Site Supporter