NIGHT SWEATS

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

NIGHT SWEATS

Postby chewbacca007 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:10 am

I am a new member, just joined yesterday. I'll be starting my initial consultation next week. I know now night time sweating is one of the many symptoms of Sleep Apnea. Does anyone know what causes the sweating? There were nights where my pillow was drenched in sweat, and that I would have to rotate pillows just to sleep on a dry one. Thanks again for the support.
chewbacca007

Re: NIGHT SWEATS

Postby Linda » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:52 am

Hi there!

I always heard that there can be night sweating with untreated sleep apnea. But your question prompted me to search more about it, some.
There isn't much explanation. Stanford describes it as a function of movements during sleep for people with sleep apnea. I found parts of the American Academy of Family Medicine (AAFM) interesting, some of it quoted below. I would imagine that some sweating can be due to more than one cause for untreated sleep apneacs, if suffering from other things such as thyroid problems. The AAFM article lists hyperthyroidism as one cause for night sweats. I developed some thyroid problems during my untreated apnea (with cpap therapy my thyroid levels returned to normal). And the article mentions acid reflux, and I know many who have OSA have this condition as well. And I do know that your heart rate can go way up during the night with untreated apnea. I would guess those experiencing a racing heart at night, as I had, is not unlike jogging and sweating. That ticker is working overtime to jumpstart your breathing. So who knows, maybe there is more happening in addition to the movements.

Night sweats are a common outpatient complaint, yet literature on the subject is scarce. Tuberculosis and lymphoma are diseases in which night sweats are a dominant symptom, but these are infrequently found to be the cause of night sweats in modern practice. While these diseases remain important diagnostic considerations in patients with night sweats, other diagnoses to consider include human immunodeficiency virus, gastroesophageal reflux disease, obstructive sleep apnea, hyperthyroidism, hypoglycemia, and several less common diseases. Antihypertensives, antipyretics, other medications, and drugs of abuse such as alcohol and heroin may cause night sweats. Serious causes of night sweats can be excluded with a thorough history, physical examination, and directed laboratory and radiographic studies. If a history and physical do not reveal a possible diagnosis, physicians should consider a purified protein derivative, complete blood count, human immunodeficiency virus test, thyroid-stimulating hormone test, erythrocyte sedimentation rate evaluation, chest radiograph, and possibly chest and abdominal computed tomographic scans and bone marrow biopsy. (Am Fam Physician 2003;67:1019-24. Copyright© 2003 American Academy of Family Physicians.)

Click here for article from American Academy of Family Physicians
Click here for link to a physician's comments
Click here for Stanford article

Thanks for helping me to learn more about it too.

Linda
Linda

Postby chewbacca007 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:39 am

Thank you Linda for your quick and comprehensive reply.
chewbacca007

Re Night Sweats

Postby Danny » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:00 am

Hello 007

I have been on cpap since February 28 2006. I am feeling much better (The first 1/2 -3/4 of the day) and geting longer all
The time

The most immediate & dramatic change I noticed (1st week) was that I no longer had the drenched pillow that I had to turn for a dry spot several times during the night, my covers were not in a big knot and I did not have to get up the usual 8-10 times to go to the bathroom

Almost my entire life I have struggled to get out of bed (10 or 11 am) and then always laid on the sofa or something, just could not get started. Now I am one of those obnoxious morning people (6:30 am and raring to go)

Its nice sleeping on a dry pillow GOOD LUCK

Danny
Danny

Postby Madre » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:41 pm

And here I thought the night sweats were just due to my female private summer thing. Cool another thing to blame it on. lol

Madre
Believe in yourself--you are fantastic!!
Madre

Night sweats

Postby Woof_man » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:40 pm

Chewie - -

Oh yeah, did I ever have pre-pappian night sweats!

My normal drill was to flip the pillow each (of the many) times I arose during the evening to locate a dry spot. Yuck.

Of course, each time I awoke, I had no idea that I had just somehow managed to fight my way out of being smothered in my sleep. (I told my doc that I slept just fine.)

Much better now. (Although I'll be raising my PAP pres about one cm H2O in about a week).

It continually amazes me just how many different symptoms can be traced to OSA. Equally as amazing is that I never saw any big health issues, even though I probably developed the beginnings of OSA approx 40 yrs ago.

Good luck with your treatment.

Regards all - - Woof
Woof_man

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks to all the replies. It is quite evident that I'm not alone in going through this. For the longest time, through ignorance about this condition, could not figure out why I was sweating so much. As I reflect now, the nighttime sweating became progressively worse. I would try to sleep with light blankets thinking it would help. It didn't. As I learn more and more about these symptoms it is scary to think how severe my Sleep Apnea may be, and yet also concerned when my Sleep Study is conducted, they won't diagnose it. I still sweat for time to time, but there'll be a period when the profuse sweating will start again. Is this cycle common? And does it indicate a progressively worsening of my condition?

Postby chewbacca007 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:16 pm

PS The above was posted by me, chewbacca007. I forgot to log in.
chewbacca007

Postby JeanMA » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:34 pm

I still sweat, but have not been able to get a good fit back for a few weeks. I noticed lastnight there was no sweating; however I was sweating previously. Heck, before getting diagnosed, I was convinced it was menopause, LOL!!!

Is the sweating supposed to stop immediately?
Jean
4 months on c-pap and experiencing a new life:)
JeanMA

Postby pauly » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:16 pm

I don't think mine did. And it was a while before they stopped completly. I think all the symptoms that I have noticed that went away, took some time. I think it's like taking a new prescription the doc gives you. It takes a while before all that new oxygen your breathing gets into your system to work and correct what you have been missing for so long. Could be a few weeks, or a few months or longer. It's been almost four months for me. I'm still seeing different benefits!!!
pauly

Postby damnidunno » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:55 pm

just think of it as stress. When you're working on and stressing your body: you sweat. If your sleeping and if you have sleep apnea, you can only imagine the amount of stress your body is going through. I'm not a doctor and really have no scientific facts to back me up or even knowledge, i m just saying what it seems like.

So since your body is working so hard and everything is crazy when you're sleepin, your produce sweat.

I sleep with a fan right on me full speed. I cannot sleep hot. Never could. So if I'm completely freezing i can sleep a lot better.
damnidunno

Do you find it cyclical or consistent?

Postby chewbacca007 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:46 pm

For those who have night sweats, do you find it to come in cycles or do you consistently have night sweats? My last period was a couple of months ago with the heavy sweating (pillow and shirt drenching sweat). Since then I haven't had it that bad, although from time to time I'll sweat lightly to moderately. The temperature in the room is not an issue, I usually keep it cool and/or sleep w/ a light blanket.
chewbacca007

Postby BillD » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:52 pm

Prior to cpap I would wake up with my head sopping wet. Would roll the pillow for a "dry" spot and return to sleep. This was consistant for at least a decade. Would have to wash the pillow at least every other day. But the first thing I noticed after starting cpap was that this immediately stopped. I don't think I have woke once with a wethead. I have also noticed that I rarely get up to use the bathroom during the night now. Previously was at least a couple times a night. It appears I may have been one of the lucky ones...

Bill
BillD

• Site Supporter