Newbie...Nose Pressure Sore from mask... Help!

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

• Site Supporter

Newbie...Nose Pressure Sore from mask... Help!

Postby sleepatlast! » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:35 pm

Hi there! I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I just don't have the energy to go searching through all the posts! I recently began CPAPing & had GREAT results! I also have Fibromyalgia & my pain levels decreased dramatically after days of using the CPAP! My energy improved & even my Gastritis stomach pain went away! This has been a miracle for me!

The challenge is that I developed a pressure sore on the bridge of my nose. Ouch! It hurt really bad at first...I was using a full face mask because my mouth always drops open when I sleep. The DME guy brought me a 2nd full face mask to try...It seemed more comfy & had less leakage. Unfortunately, my nose sore got worse & finally I called my Sleep Clinic about it. They said to stop using the CPAP until my nose is totally healed.

Meanwhile, I was to try using a chin strap & Nasal Pillows. Tried that for 2 nights & it was not working due to my mouth opening. So now I'm just waiting for my nose to heal before returning to the full face mask.

The clinic mentioned using moleskin to protect my nose...Any other suggestions? I'm crushed that I can't use my CPAP while my nose heals...I'm back to feeling cruddy again! I've had headaches for 3-4 days too! Maybe my brain is in oxygen withdrawal!

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

sleepatlast!
sleepatlast!

Postby rested gal » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi sleepatlast,

The only way I can use the more comfortable interfaces I prefer (like the Aura nasal pillows and Breeze nasal pillows) or a good covers-the-nose nasal mask like the Activa is by taping my mouth to prevent mouth air leaks. Works fine for me.

Check out these topics:

Sep 15, 2005 subject: Time for the big Tape Arguement Join In

Sep 02, 2005 subject: weird mouth thing
Last edited by rested gal on Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rested gal

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:25 pm

Dunno how the fibro is going to do with tape tho... What type of full face mask are you using? You might try one that has an air cushion type seal like the Ultra Mirage. Many folks seem to think that this is one of the better ones, but everyone is different.
Mike

Machine: Respironics Remstar Auto
Mask: Resmed Swift
Humidifier: Yes, Aussie Heated Hose
Year Diagnosed: 2005

Thanks for replies!

Postby sleepatlast! » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:35 pm

Thanks to rested gal & Mike...

The mask that I liked & that I have waiting for me is the ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask. I thought it worked well. I am hoping that once my nose sore heals, & I use some moleskin to protect the skin on my nose; all will be fine.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas about protecting the bridge of my nose from future irritation. My poor nose got in BAD shape pretty fast. It's a good thing that I was advised to stop using the mask because it was close to really being infected. It's been a week since using the mask & I'm still not healed fully...

Is this a common problem from the masks?

I can not wait til I can use my CPAP again! I have been feeling awful without it! My hubby, who was complaining about my CPAP machine & swish-swish sounds, even told me he would prefer the CPAP to my snoring! Guess I was really shakin' the walls last night!

Thanks again. Any input is greatly appreciated!

sleepatlast!
sleepatlast!

Re: Sore Nose

Postby airfieldman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:24 am

When I first started using my CPAP I developed a severe irritation on the bridge of my nose too. As it turned out it I have a reaction to latex. Never knew about that prior, but as soon as I switched to a non-latex mask it cleared right up.

Food for thought.
airfieldman

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions