NECK PAIN

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

NECK PAIN

Postby lantern4life » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 pm

I am a newly diagnosed OSA. I started CPAP about 6 weeks ago. Within the past 2 weeks, I have started having severe, persistent neck pain. I speculate this could be from positioning while I sleep with a bulky mask and possibly from incorrectly fitting headgear appliance. I have been to the home-health company person who has helped me with proper fit. It seems like I have had issues with fitting from the start, but the CPAP therapy is helping me. Has anyone else developed neck pain issues while using CPAP?
lantern4life

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:35 pm

I find I hold my head on my pillow differently. Many have said that simply changing the pillow to a fluffier one helps tremendously...I use a feather pillow that I can squish up.

I would bring up any neck, head issues with the Dr though.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby BarryKaraoke » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:19 pm

I developed sever neck pain when I started CPAP. Turns out I had a herniated disc and didn't know it.

Purely a coincidence that it started around the same time.
BarryKaraoke

Postby lynn321 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm

pain could be a coincidence, otherwise I think you need a different arrangement of pillows

in general pillows that give are good but springy pillows that fight back are bad #-o
respironics comfort gell mask,resmed S6 lightweight CPAP, pressure 10 no humidifier
NO DOCTOR EVER ASKED ME IF I SNORED
lynn321

Postby LaPopessa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:10 pm

I had shoulder pain because of sleeping differently with the mask. I finally managed to find a way to sleep (I'm a side & stomach sleeper) with pillows arranged so it is better. Still get pain once and a while, but not that often anymore.
---------
ResMed S9 Elite / ResMed Quattro Mirage full face mask
Pressure 19
---------

Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz
LaPopessa

Re: NECK PAIN

Postby Ramboaus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:41 pm

lantern4life wrote:I am a newly diagnosed OSA. I started CPAP about 6 weeks ago. Within the past 2 weeks, I have started having severe, persistent neck pain. I speculate this could be from positioning while I sleep with a bulky mask and possibly from incorrectly fitting headgear appliance. I have been to the home-health company person who has helped me with proper fit. It seems like I have had issues with fitting from the start, but the CPAP therapy is helping me. Has anyone else developed neck pain issues while using CPAP?

Lantern4Life: The name reminds me of Florence Nightingale :-D

What mask and what head gear are you using. A nasal mask like the Resmed Activa is beautifully designed that it does not have to be worn tight. and this means the strap going round the neck will not put any pressure on the cervical spine. But if you are using any of the new bulkier full face masks like the quattro or the liberty etc they will leak unless you tie them tight.

Consider the head. It pivots on the cervical spine and held in place by the muscles. When the chin goes down to the chest it is called flexion and when we toss the head back it is called extension. Normally when we sleep the neck can be is flexion or extension. but then if we are sleeping in the wrong position for long, the pain signal automatically makes us roll over. Despite this safe mechanism it is not uncommon for people to suffer neck pain and associated head aches..

I have never had neck pain all my life yet in just the last three months since I started trialling the quattro I have severe neck pain and sometimes dull head aches too. My physio says that my neck muscles are extremely stiff. She warned me that if I did not find a solution in the long term it could lead to scoliosis ( deviation from normal curvature caused by strain) of the cervical spine.

There will be a tendency for sleep apnea sufferers to use a couple of pillows or more to feel comfortable. Yet a the night progresses and we are asleep the neck muscles will relax and head will go into flexion ( chin to chest). This could be the main problem. My physio has suggested using neck rolls ( towels rolled up ) to maintain a neutral position.

Neck and shoulder pain is common with people using the computer a lot. So your neck pain may not be linked to the sleep apnea mask and harness.

Only you have to figure this out through an elimination process.
Cheers
Ram
Ramboaus

Postby lantern4life » Thu May 01, 2008 10:40 pm

Thank you Ramboaus. I will look into this! So many wonderful suggestions. Lantern4life
lantern4life

Postby Ramboaus » Thu May 01, 2008 11:16 pm

lantern4life wrote:Thank you Ramboaus. I will look into this! So many wonderful suggestions. Lantern4life

You are welcome. I am still battling neck pain in addition to my sciatica. The pain radiated from the neck down the right hand.
well life was not meant to be easy was it ?
Cheers
Ram
Ramboaus

Postby White Beard » Fri May 02, 2008 1:12 am

lantern4life I currently use the Hybrid mask, but with just about every mask I have tried, and that has been quite a few! I have had problems with neck pain, and even spasms in my neck it is always caused from pressure from the straps, I use a folded over wash cloth under the strap that goes on the neck and bottom portion of the head, it isn't a perfect fix but it does help some. I have also had a c6/7 disc fusion and my c5/6 disc is going bad so that expains a lot of my problems, but the pressure from the head gear, makes it a lot worse, often I will apply Ben Gay on my neck before putting on my mask and with the folded over wash cloth it usually works pretty well Wish you luck
White Beard

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt SV enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: yes ResMed HumidAire 2iC
Year Diagnosed: 2007

Postby Ramboaus » Fri May 02, 2008 2:57 am

White Beard wrote:lantern4life I currently use the Hybrid mask, but with just about every mask I have tried, and that has been quite a few! I have had problems with neck pain, and even spasms in my neck it is always caused from pressure from the straps, I use a folded over wash cloth under the strap that goes on the neck and bottom portion of the head, it isn't a perfect fix but it does help some. I have also had a c6/7 disc fusion and my c5/6 disc is going bad so that expains a lot of my problems, but the pressure from the head gear, makes it a lot worse, often I will apply Ben Gay on my neck before putting on my mask and with the folded over wash cloth it usually works pretty well Wish you luck

White Beard rest assured you are not alone. Black beard is here with you. May be not black now but say Grey Beard Raomboaus shares the neck pain with you.

Sleep apnea masks are not just a pain in the a** but also a pain in the neck making it a double whammy. Mask designers should leave the neck alone as it is fragile
Cheers
Ram
Ramboaus

Neck Problem wearing the Hybrid Mask

Postby Ramboaus » Fri May 02, 2008 3:41 am

Ramboaus wrote:
White Beard wrote:lantern4life I currently use the Hybrid mask, but with just about every mask I have tried, and that has been quite a few! I have had problems with neck pain, and even spasms in my neck it is always caused from pressure from the straps, I use a folded over wash cloth under the strap that goes on the neck and bottom portion of the head, it isn't a perfect fix but it does help some. I have also had a c6/7 disc fusion and my c5/6 disc is going bad so that expains a lot of my problems, but the pressure from the head gear, makes it a lot worse, often I will apply Ben Gay on my neck before putting on my mask and with the folded over wash cloth it usually works pretty well Wish you luck

White Beard rest assured you are not alone. Black beard is here with you. May be not black now but say Grey Beard Raomboaus shares the neck pain with you. Sleep apnea masks are not just a pain in the a** but also a pain in the neck making it a double whammy. Mask designers should leave the neck alone as it is fragile

Neck Problem wearing the Hybrid Mask

White Beard I just took a look at the head gear fro the Hybrid and realised it has four clips to hold it in position. The top two ensure the nasal pillows stay in place and the bottom two in fact hold the Hybrid frame in place and go around the neck and this may be what causes and exacerbates your neck problem

Here is a suggestion. Link the top and bottom clips on each side with some strap or a band of cloth what ever and pass the TOP strap from the head gear through the new strap. Try and adjust the head gear so that a single strap holds the mask in place and also keeps the nasal pillows in place. Just leave the bottom strap unattached or tucked away and see if this works.

You are such an expert with clips and rubber bands I am sure you will find this easy to do.

Try and eliminate the strap that goes around the neck totally. I am pretty sure this will work.
Cheers
Ram
Ramboaus

• Site Supporter