nasal pillows hurt

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

nasal pillows hurt

Postby golden » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:40 pm

Any suggestions? Hi, I just just got my cpap machine a week ago and I am having troube. I wake up in 2 hours, and pull it off, the nasal pillows hurt my nose inside. (I have the mask that goes around the head with staps then comes down the front of my face ending ina triangle shape with silicone nasal pillows up my nostrils.

I couldn't use the mask because I have sensistive skin and got a rash and pimples for a week after one use. Any suggestions?? is there another kind of mask, or will I eventually get used to this one?

golden

Postby idzeeboo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:48 pm

I put a small amount of Vaseline around both nostrils before putting on my Breeze (w/ nasal pillows).
After about a week or so of doing that, I was able to wear it without the use of any Vaseline and I have no more soreness. (I totally feel for you... that soreness is terrible!)
idzeeboo

Re: nasal pillows hurt

Postby tbone » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:45 pm

golden wrote:Any suggestions? Hi, I just just got my cpap machine a week ago and I am having troube. I wake up in 2 hours, and pull it off, the nasal pillows hurt my nose inside. (I have the mask that goes around the head with staps then comes down the front of my face ending ina triangle shape with silicone nasal pillows up my nostrils.

I couldn't use the mask because I have sensistive skin and got a rash and pimples for a week after one use. Any suggestions?? is there another kind of mask, or will I eventually get used to this one?

I had the same problem, turns out I was using a size too small for my nose.....
My Kinda town Chicago is

Nothing in life is guaranteed, not even taxes -- you have to make money to get money back
tbone

Re: nasal pillows hurt

Postby Daniel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:44 pm

golden wrote:Any suggestions? Hi, I just just got my cpap machine a week ago and I am having troube. I wake up in 2 hours, and pull it off, the nasal pillows hurt my nose inside. (I have the mask that goes around the head with staps then comes down the front of my face ending ina triangle shape with silicone nasal pillows up my nostrils.

There are 2 possibilities:
1. The 'pillows' are too small (the parts that sit inside the nares). You probably need larger ones.
2. Failing that your dme should be able to recommend a suitable cream or gel to put inside the nares of your nose.

Daniel
The untreated Sleep Apnoea sufferer died quietly in his sleep..
Unlike his three passengers who died screaming !

The first 40 years of childhood are by far the hardest
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Nasal Pillows Hurt

Postby Amigo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:29 am

The correct size is certainly a possible cause of your problem, but if that doesn't help I strongly recommend using a light coating of vaseline. I put some in every night, and have had no discomfort after almost two years.
Amigo

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:12 am

I use a Swift. For the first few days, now problem. Then it started hurting my nose. It hurt for about a week and a half. Then the pain went a way and I don't expect it to come back. I think it takes time to adapt.

Postby Anhelo Impedio » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:42 am

Please be aware that Vaseline is a petroleum-based product that some say could irritate the lungs of folks with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). This could include emphysema, asthma, chronic bronchitis and other lung conditions.

I am not trying to push, sell or otherwise promote a product, however, please take a look at Ayr and see if it will help you without the possible irritation of petroleum derivatives.

I am inflicted with COPD and constantly (24/7) take supplemental oxygen during the day and through the CPAP in the evening. Ayr has helped me to relieve nose irritation without the irritation some say will occur with a petroleum-based substance.

More Info Here

(Above URL provided for display and reference. Product is also available OTC in most pharmacies.)
Success Nourishes Hope
Anhelo Impedio

nasal pillows hurt suggestions

Postby kitkat » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:55 pm

Hi, I have a couple of suggestions based on what my dme company did for me. They have a respitory therapist who comes to me or answers questions on the phone.

Here's what she told me:

you need to select the correct size nasal pillow that fits you. Mine came with three: s, m, lg. I use the s one. See if yours has one or more nasal pillows that came in the package with it.

my gal told me never to use vaseline or any kind of patrolium products on my nose, and no creams on my face, as it will cause the silicone to deteriorate and leak. She suggested my using aloe vera gel w/ lidocaine--just like you get for sunburn relief. she said to put a tiny little bit around the edges of the nostrils--DO NOT PUT THIS UP IN YOUR NOSE!! i have found this works very well. it sort of moisturizes that tender tissue around the nostril and just on the edge.

Also, using products like Ayr or other saline solutions help keep nose and sinuses moist.

if you have a humidifier, use it!!!! i have found it very helpful in keeping everthing in my nose, sinuses, and throat nice and moist.

and lastly, be sure to wash everhthing (take your mask apart, humidifier, hose, etc. whatever you have) and rinse it well, and often!! my gal told me that i can use any kind of gentle soap--i use a non-antibacterial, gentle dish washing liquid, only a tiny bit. Be sure to air-dry everything and keep it out of the sun.

I sure do hope these ideas help you! God bless you.

kitkat----------ps: i have only been on cpap for about 6+ weeks myself, learning stuff quickly!
kitkat

Postby Vicki » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:43 am

If your just need to use a saline mist, generic saline mists (any discount store) work fine and are probably a lot cheaper.

Another interface option is a Comfort Curve nasal interface. I tried it last Friday during a sleep study. If I didn't need a full face mask because I open my mouth, that is what I'd use. It is like a nano nasal mask that fits around your nostrils rather than your whole nose and unlike nasal pillows, there are no prongs sticking in your nostrils. It was very comfortable. Wouldn't work if you like to turn on your side though. You have to stay pretty stationary.

Vicki
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby rested gal » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:58 am

Wouldn't work if you like to turn on your side though. You have to stay pretty stationary.

Vicki, wise caveat! That was the case for me with the Comfort Curve - leaked badly when I tried to sleep on my side. Despite the minimal nose piece, the vise-like clamp feeling of those cheek slabs turned me off. Of course, everyone's mileage varies. Might work for some. Certainly didn't for me.
rested gal

nasal pillows hurt suggestions

Postby Amigo » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:04 am

Hmmmm, several issues to comment on here:

1. It is absolutely true that if you use supplemental oxygen with your CPAP you should NEVER use a petroleum-based product. Believe it or not, the reaction between the oxygen and the petroleum can cause burns!

2. At my respiratory therapist's recommendation, I have been using a thin coating of vaseline in my nostrils for almost two years, and there has been NO deterioration of my nasal pillows. I soak/wash them daily in Palmolive dish washing liquid.

3. Nasal pillows are NOT prongs that fit in your nose. They are extremely soft, pliable and extremely comfortable rubber(?) "plugs" that rest gently on the OUTSIDE of your nose. This is the only contact with your skin, leaving the rest of your face completely unencumbered (except, in my case, for a very soft cloth headband to keep the nasal pillows in place).

4. I agree wholeheartedly about ALWAYS using the humidifier, BUT with the warming setting turned on!

Of course, the point of all this is to raise awareness that there are many options available for CPAP users, and that everyone should be persistent in finding the configuration that is most comfortable for them so they will keep using it.
Amigo

Postby cornpop16 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:45 pm

I was told that secaris works well for nose iritations and it isn't supposed to harm the mask!
cornpop16

Postby Louise » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:18 pm

My nose quit hurting after I turned the heat up on my humidifier.
Louise

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:58 am

I use the nasal pillow, couldn't do a mask without feeling clostrophobic. My problem is that if I fit the straps snuggly the pillow works great but I wake up with marks on my cheeks that take a few hours to go away. I'll gladly take the marks, I am so happy to finally get good sleep.

Hang In There!

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:07 am

When I first started using the Mirage Swift nasal pillows, I had a rough first week. After the 4th or 5th night, I awoke with external nasal discomfort above my nostrils. The next night, I awoke in the middle of the night with significant nasal pain, and switched to my old nasal mask. I intended to return the Swift to my DME, but decided to give it one more night. The following morning, I awoke pain-free, rested, and with no memory of trouble.

This one-week learning curve was a change from using nasal masks; I adjusted to new masks in one night.

The moral of the story: it may take a while to adjust to nasal pillows. Hang in there!
Ridge Runner

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!