• Site Supporter

narcolepsy versus sleep apnea

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

narcolepsy versus sleep apnea

Postby firefitr26emt » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:27 pm

My primary doc sent me to a pulmonologist because she thought I had sleep apnea. Though she is not to smart. Anyways, a one night study, and all questions and symptoms are now leading docs to think I have narcolepsy. Of course I need more tests, in bigger city. MSLT is what they said I need now. My question is what are the primary differences between sleep apnea and narcolepsy. I do not have sleep apnea. I am only posting here because I am familiar with the board, and you people are so nice, and I know some of you have narcolepsy.
firefitr26emt

Postby Okie » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:03 pm

You might want to telephone this support group for persons with narcolepsy

http://www.advocatesforsleep.com/
Okie

Narcolepsy

Postby sleepydave » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:03 am

Hi fireftr!
Here's another informational page, this one from the gov:

Narcolepsy

So, the relationship between narcolepsy and sleep apnea is not at all, although rarely the 2 will appear together coincidently (I've seen one).

There's also a blood test

HLA

that is somewhat helpful in diagnosing narcolepsy, but you gotta be a little careful there, you need the rest of the stuff, too.

Use these guides to help you understand what's coming up in the testing, and aware that you should take some precautions now (like avoiding doing anything that could be dangerous if a narcoleptic attack occurs, like driving--auto accidents are 10 times more likely if you have untreated narcolepsy, but the rate is normal in treated patients). I know that thought is disconcerting, and if you haven't been actually diagnosed yet, well... all I'm saying is, do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe. Check back soon.
sleepydave
Last edited by sleepydave on Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleepydave

Postby firefitr26emt » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:32 am

dave I will check your link soon. I have to go out with a client right now. i am at work. Okie your site is awesome. thanks so much. dave i am being as careful as possible. the second I feel tired I pull over immediately because I know, I will fall asleep almost immediately after I feel tired. I get very little warning but at least I get some warning, FOR NOW. It has only been getting worse over the past two years. I will be 27 tomorrow. I guess the timeline is about right. anywho my shrink who I see twice a year for ADHD put me on provigil temporarily just to see what happens, because he knows it will be a while before I get tested and set up with neurologist etc. he said what can it hurt, and it is probably much safer. so cool thing is I get to try it, 100mg for a week 200mg after. then when I see neur. he can take me off when he schedules test, there is no withdrawal supposedly. In the meantime, maybe less close calls at the wheel.

well gotta go thanks for the help
firefitr26emt

• Site Supporter