My Sleep Study Results

This area is for discussion of Sleep Studies used in the evaluation of Sleep Apnea.

My Sleep Study Results

Postby skullmonkey714 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:18 pm

mcbrian33 / Daniel.....THis is what I got. I can make some stuff out, but most of it is greek to me. :) Like I said, it felt like I didnt sleep at all, but I guess I did.

POLYSOMNOGRAPHIC DATA:
Overnight polysomnography was performed in the usual manner using the technique described above. By pulse oximetry the patient's baseline oxyhemoglobin saturation while recumbent and awake was 97%. The initial sleep latency was noted to be 7.5 minutes, which is a normal range.

The patient demonstrated mild obstructive sleep apnea/hypopneas with an index of 10.3/hr. Oxygen saturation was noted to fall as low as 88% from a baseline of 97%. Mild to moderate snoring was noted independent of sleep position.

ECG showed mild cardiac oscillations with obstructive breathing events. EEG channels showed no abnormalities. Anterior tibialis EMG monitoring showed no periodic leg movements during sleep (PLMS).

Total bed time (minutes):509.0
Latency to sleep onset (minutes): 17.5
Percentage of sleep: 53.5%
Total Sleep Time (minutes): 272.5
Latency to REM (minutes): 394.0
Sleep Efficiency: 53.5
Number of REM periods: 1

RESPIRATORY EVENTS:
The baseline obstructive apnea/hypopneas index was 10.3/hr. The patient demonstrated mild obstructive sleep apnea/hypopneas. The index based upon 13 obstructive apneas, 1 central apnea, and 33 hypopneas. Maximum duration of obstructive apneas was 44.0 seconds; central apneas 10.5 seconds; hypopneas 49.0 seconds. The patients respiratory events were significantly worse in REM sleep. Oxygen saturation fell to as low as 88% from a baseline of 97%.

BODY POSITION:

SUPINE:
Time (min): 284.0
Sleep (%):53.3
REM (%): 4.4
SWS (%): 18.5
AHI (#/H): 13.9

RIGHT:
Time (min): 169.9
Sleep (%):71.2
REM (%): 0.0
SWS (%): 13.5
AHI (#/H): 6.0

AHI:
REM #/hr: 81.5
NREM #/hr: 6.9
TST #/hr: 10.3

Summery and conclusions:
1. Mild Stage REM predominant obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea: AHI=10.3/hr (REM AHI=81.6), desaturation to 88% (ICD 9 CM code 780.53)

2. It should be noted that respiratory distrubaces increased toward the latter portion of the study, when the patient slept on his back during stage REM sleep.
skullmonkey714

Re: My Sleep Study Results

Postby Daniel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:21 pm

POLYSOMNOGRAPHIC DATA:
Overnight polysomnography was performed in the usual manner using the technique described above. By pulse oximetry the patient's baseline oxyhemoglobin saturation while recumbent and awake was 97%. The initial sleep latency was noted to be 7.5 minutes, which is a normal range.

The patient demonstrated mild obstructive sleep apnea/hypopneas with an index of 10.3/hr. Oxygen saturation was noted to fall as low as 88% from a baseline of 97%. Mild to moderate snoring was noted independent of sleep position.

ECG showed mild cardiac oscillations with obstructive breathing events. EEG channels showed no abnormalities. Anterior tibialis EMG monitoring showed no periodic leg movements during sleep (PLMS).

Total bed time (minutes):509.0
Latency to sleep onset (minutes): 17.5
Percentage of sleep: 53.5%
Total Sleep Time (minutes): 272.5
Latency to REM (minutes): 394.0
Sleep Efficiency: 53.5
Number of REM periods: 1

Your sleep efficiency was poor at 53.5%. Not of huge concern as being hooked up to all the wires etc is not conducive to a good nights sleep.
Sleep latency is OK.
REM Latency is very extended (usually 90/100 minutes). This is the time taken to reach your first period of REM Sleep.
The usual progression to REM Sleep (first period) is Stage N1 to Stage N2 to Stage N3, back to Stage N2 and then REM. Each cycle lasts 90/120 minutes (average) with the period spent in REM Sleep getting longer as you go through the cycles. Depending on time spent asleep, you should go through 4 to 6 cycles per night...........this constitutes your sleep architecture.
In your case you only achieved 1 period of REM Sleep.

RESPIRATORY EVENTS:
The baseline obstructive apnea/hypopneas index was 10.3/hr. The patient demonstrated mild obstructive sleep apnea/hypopneas. The index based upon 13 obstructive apneas, 1 central apnea, and 33 hypopneas. Maximum duration of obstructive apneas was 44.0 seconds; central apneas 10.5 seconds; hypopneas 49.0 seconds. The patients respiratory events were significantly worse in REM sleep. Oxygen saturation fell to as low as 88% from a baseline of 97%.

Mild Apnoea.
Don't be concerned about the 1 central event.
It would be interesting to know the length of time your SAO2 was below 90%.

BODY POSITION:

SUPINE:
Time (min): 284.0
Sleep (%):53.3
REM (%): 4.4
SWS (%): 18.5
AHI (#/H): 13.9

RIGHT:
Time (min): 169.9
Sleep (%):71.2
REM (%): 0.0
SWS (%): 13.5
AHI (#/H): 6.0

AHI:
REM #/hr: 81.5
NREM #/hr: 6.9
TST #/hr: 10.3

Summery and conclusions:
1. Mild Stage REM predominant obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea: AHI=10.3/hr (REM AHI=81.6), desaturation to 88% (ICD 9 CM code 780.53)

2. It should be noted that respiratory distrubaces increased toward the latter portion of the study, when the patient slept on his back during stage REM sleep.

It is 'normal' for an increase in events during REM Sleep.
The fact that you had so little REM Sleep could lead to a question.........is your apnoea more severe than reported ? I haven't time to go over earlier posts.....but were you taking any meds on the night of your trst, or during that day or previous day ?
The REM AHI of 81.5 seems strange......as you only had a total of 47 events ? Maybe a typo ?

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby RAM_Sleep » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Daniel wrote:The REM AHI of 81.5 seems strange......as you only had a total of 47 events ? Maybe a typo ?

Nope, no typo.

He had 17 events in 12.5 minutes of REM sleep.
RAM_Sleep

Postby Daniel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:33 pm

RAM_Sleep wrote:
Daniel wrote:The REM AHI of 81.5 seems strange......as you only had a total of 47 events ? Maybe a typo ?

Nope, no typo.

Thanks RAM.........gotta look at these figures closer :lol: Must be my age.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby RAM_Sleep » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Daniel wrote:
RAM_Sleep wrote:

Nope, no typo.

Thanks RAM.........gotta look at these figures closer :lol: Must be my age.

Daniel.

That is assuming that I didnt make a typo! Haha. 8-)
RAM_Sleep

Postby skullmonkey714 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:01 pm

I didnt take any medication during my sleep study (or before), although I did ask for it. I felt like I hadnt slept 5 minutes and was concerned that my sleep study would be pointless without getting actual sleep. They denied my request for a sleep aid because it would skew my test results. I'm kinda glad that my apnea is catagorized as "mild", but sometimes I wonder if its more severe than reported due to the amount of sleep I got at the clinic.

Whats the difference between sleep apnea, central apnea and hypopnea?

Like I posted on another section of this forum, recently I have felt more tired than I did about 3 weeks ago. I did gain about 3lb during the holidays. Is it reasonable to say that I'm feeling worse due to weight gain?

I appreciate your input.
skullmonkey714

Postby RAM_Sleep » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:08 pm

skullmonkey714 wrote:I didnt take any medication during my sleep study (or before), although I did ask for it. I felt like I hadnt slept 5 minutes and was concerned that my sleep study would be pointless without getting actual sleep. They denied my request for a sleep aid because it would skew my test results. I'm kinda glad that my apnea is catagorized as "mild", but sometimes I wonder if its more severe than reported due to the amount of sleep I got at the clinic.

Whats the difference between sleep apnea, central apnea and hypopnea?

Like I posted on another section of this forum, recently I have felt more tired than I did about 3 weeks ago. I did gain about 3lb during the holidays. Is it reasonable to say that I'm feeling worse due to weight gain?

I appreciate your input.

Not sure if you want my comments, but:

Are you on ANY medications? It appears that you are not, however I wanted to be sure.

I doubt that 3 lbs had much of an impact, however mild to large amounts over time can certainly impact the severity of sleep apnea.

To be brief:

Sleep apnea can be one or both of: Obstructive Sleep Apnea and/or Central Sleep Apnea

Hypopnea is partial collapse of your airway, where as an Obstructive Apnea is a complete closure. Central sleep apnea doesnt collapse the airway, as it is more of a problem with getting the appropriate signals to the muscles involved with breathing.
RAM_Sleep

Postby skullmonkey714 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Ram...your comments are very welcome.

No medications for me. I was taking supplements (vitamins) in case I was in some sort of depression or something. So hypopnea is not a full closure of the airway? This makes sense since I also noticed that I wake up every once in a while needing to take a deep breath. I have never actually woken up choking or anything. As far as weight gain. I have a small body frame, and have always held a weight of about 140 to 142 and was skinny. Im at 157 right now. Im still skinny, only my gut got big due to lack of exercise and sitting all day in front of a computer. I think I may have also developed a second chin. Haha.......ugh. I can pretty much say that Im out of shape....big time.
skullmonkey714

• Site Supporter