• Site Supporter

My poor sore nose

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

My poor sore nose

Postby jamjar62 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Recently, I was switched to a Mirage Quatro mask. I like it much better than my previous mask but it makes the bridge of my nose soooo sore. I've tried positioning my mask higher and lower on my face and nothing seems to help. I even put moleskin on the rigid part that seemed to be causing the problem. This only made things worse. I wear glasses and the bridge of my nose is so sore, it hurts to wear them.

When I wake up in the morning, the bridge of my nose almost looks bruised. Has anyone who uses this type of mask dealt with this before? Or do I just have an abnormally large schnoz?

Karen
jamjar62

Machine: Philips Respironics System One
Mask: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Yes Respironics System 1
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: My poor sore nose

Postby CrohnieToo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:10 am

It has nothing to do w/the size of your snozz. My snozz is relatively small and I never could get that darn thin outer cushion cover to quit slicing into the bridge of my nose.

Surprisingly I tried the newer Quattro FX, same thin outer cushion cover, BUT - NO problems w/it slicing into my tender snozz!

I would think that reading and re-reading and closely following the fitting instructions that come w/the Mirage Quattro, checking how well the headgear fits and how well you can fit the Mirage Quattro to your face w/o leaks or pulling the straps too tight. A manufacturer rep told me that I should be able to slip TWO fingers perpendicular to my face between my face and the lower straps. That blew my mind.

Resmed will replace that Mirage Quattro FREE to the DME provider that you have been unsuccessful with, or for that matter any of their masks, as will PR and F&P "if" the DME provider will fill out a form and return mask and form to the manufacturer W/IN 30 DAYS.

You don't put the moleskin on the rigid part of the mask. You stick it to the thin cushion that actually rests on your face.

I've forgotten: is there a center strap that runs over the top of your head w/the Mirage Quattro?? The headgear might be too big, that center strap too long allowing the top straps to slip lower on your head putting drag of the mask on your nose bridge.

Also, hanging your hose above your head on the headboard of your bed or w/a hose buddy or aother apparatus will reduce the tugging and drag of the hose on your mask as you move around during sleep. It will also eliminate any tendency to "rain out" if that is ever a problem for you.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby jamjar62 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:55 pm

I had the Quattro FX originally but I had problems with leaking - this was on a CPAP. My pressures were getting too high and the mask wasn't maintaining a seal. I have just switched to a BiPAP so I may go back to the FX and see if I have the same problems with leaking as I did with the CPAP.

I did not find the FX to be uncomfortable at all - it was just the leaking issues.

The Mirage has the strap that runs over your forehead with two little suction cup-like things. A plastic part come down from your forehead. over your nose to the actual mask. Very becoming.

Did you ever see "The Jerk"? Steve Martin's character invents these glasses with a part that runs from the nosepiece to sit on your lower nose. Great success at first (easy removal of your glasses) but everyone who wears them becomes cross-eyed because of this piece that runs between both eyes. I think of this movie EVERY time I put on my Mirage.

I'm gonna try the old FX tonight and see what happens.

What is a hose buddy, DME and "rain out? :oops:
jamjar62

Postby CrohnieToo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Hose Buddy is a commercial hose hanger. DME is durable medical equipment and can mean either the equipment itself or the provider of the equipment. Rain out is condensation forming in the hose, sometimes reaching the mask and your face.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby jamjar62 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:17 pm

I tried the FX again and had the same leakage problems. I think my pressures just get too high and it can't stayed sealed.

I repositioned the Mirage on my face so the bottom of the mask is just under my lower lip and the head band is closer to my hairline than my eyebrows. This has taken the pressure off my nose but the mask seems to leak a bit more when positioned like this.

I don't think the settings on my BiPAP are set right because I was at 2-3 AHIs on my CPAP and am up to 6-9 on the BiPAP. I had no idea it would take this much tweaking to get things right!
jamjar62

Postby Flame » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Are you using anything between your face/nose and the mask? I was having the same problem with pressure sores and tenderness. THen, I heard about RemZzz's and they work great.

I hope you find a solution soon!
Complex Apnea AHI: 78.1
Periodic Limb Movement: 118

REMstar AVAP
Flame

Machine: Respironics AVAP with humidifier
Mask: Resmed Quattro Full Face FX
Humidifier: Respironics

Postby jamjar62 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Flame wrote:Are you using anything between your face/nose and the mask? I was having the same problem with pressure sores and tenderness. THen, I heard about RemZzz's and they work great.

I hope you find a solution soon!

I tried putting moleskin on the part I thought was causing the problem but it only made my nose more sore. I went to the Remzz's website and I think I'm going to get a sample pack. Thanks for the information!
jamjar62

Postby Sabca » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:03 am

My 2nd night on CPAP. 1st night was with the Mirage. Leakage. Last night was with the Quattro and I, too, have a sore nose. To begin with, I have a very small nose that little fat, just skin covering the bridge. I even have problems with glasses in that area. Am going to try the Mirage tonight and see if I can get it sealing better. The Quattro worked great for me otherwise. Maybe I had it too tight.
Sabca

Machine: Philips REMstar Plus C-Flex
Mask: Respironics FitLife
Humidifier: yes

Postby jamjar62 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:14 am

Sabca wrote:My 2nd night on CPAP. 1st night was with the Mirage. Leakage. Last night was with the Quattro and I, too, have a sore nose. To begin with, I have a very small nose that little fat, just skin covering the bridge. I even have problems with glasses in that area. Am going to try the Mirage tonight and see if I can get it sealing better. The Quattro worked great for me otherwise. Maybe I had it too tight.

I discovered with some trial and error that I had the Quatrro too low on my face. Once I moved the mask up so that the forehead band was right under my hairline and the lower edge of the mask was just under my lip, I quit having the sore nose issues. However, recently my doc upped my pressure setting which caused the mask to leak again. I tightened the forehead strap and once again I had a sore nose. It's kind of a Catch-22. Loose mask - no nose issues but lots of leaks. Tight mask - no leak issues but a sore nose.

Also, I tried the RemZzzs mentioned it a previous reply to this thread and I had major leak issues and they didn't really seem to help my sore nose.
jamjar62

Postby Sabca » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:21 am

I did go back to the Mirage last night and it worked much better overall. Nose was fine this morning. Guess perseverance is the keyword with CPAPs.
Sabca

Machine: Philips REMstar Plus C-Flex
Mask: Respironics FitLife
Humidifier: yes

• Site Supporter