• Site Supporter

My nose hurts! First night with pillows.

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

My nose hurts! First night with pillows.

Postby DawnM » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 am

Last night was the FIRST NIGHT with a CPAP.

I woke up at 6:30am and my nose/nasal area where the pillows go, really HURT!

I had to take it off and slept another hour or so sans CPAP.

The machine says I slept with the machine for 6.3 hours

Will I get used to this?

No, the headgear is not too tight. It seems to be just from the heavy breathing in and out of those plastic things. :-?
DawnM

Machine: S9 Elite by ResMed
Mask: Swift FX with headgear
Humidifier: S9 Elite ResMed
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: My nose hurts! First night with pillows.

Postby SolSionnach » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm

I started with a FFM, and recently switched to the pillows. Yes! My nose hurt like a MF'er! But I'm getting used to it.
I loosened the headgear to the point where it was sort of comfortable, and now if my CPAP starts blowing great gusts the pillows come off a bit and I wake up. I just restart the machine and I'm good to go.

I was very sore, and applied a bit of antibacterial ointment (US brand Neosporin) during the day, making sure that it was off at night (since I think the petroleum jelly is bad for the pillow.
Two nights ago I also switched to the FFM in the middle of the night (making sure to change the setting on the machine!) when I woke up and my nose was hurting again.

I thought my nose would be too sore for the pillows last night, but they are feeling better after just a few nights of using them. I LOVE them now!

You can do it!
SolSionnach

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset Escape
Mask: Resmed Swift FX for her
Humidifier: Resmed H5i

Postby robysue » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Try Lansinoh cream on and around and inside those sore nostrils. Lansinoh is a purified lanolin cream sold to nursing mothers to soothe sore, dry, and cracked nipples. It will definitely help with the soreness as well issues stemming from the nostrils getting dried out. Use it right before you put the mask on at night. Keep it by the bedside and reapply if you wake up with a sore nose. Lansinoh is safe for the silicone in the nasal pillows, and some people find that a bit of Lansinoh helps them get a better seal as well.

Lansinoh is found in most drug stores and grocery stores in the baby supplies. It is often located near the breast pumps and bottle supplies. It comes in a purple box and costs about $10. But a little goes a very long way---I am still using my first tube, which was bought way back in Oct 2010.

And yes, your nostrils will toughen up and you won't need the Lansinoh every night afer a while.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby DawnM » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Thank you! Good advice.
DawnM

Postby CpapSux » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:37 pm

My cpap company gave me a couple of samples of skin cream. Of course I lost them already:( Siad they could be purchased online on lots of sites. Probably cheaper just to use Aveno lotion.
CpapSux

Machine: Philips Auto
Mask: Swift for Her
Humidifier: Philips

Postby NoseHose » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am

I tried all kinds of "things" aound my nose to allow the pillows to slide instead of dragging and tearing at the skin. I tried Ayer Gel, a saline gel. It works, but at the first sign of chapness, it burns. I tried Astroglide, a personal lubricant. It dries out and gets sticky. The two items I've settled on that work for me is either Blistex, or Carmex. Neither has affects the silicone pads, and both can be quickly wiped off. I feel that you definitely need something to allow the pads to slide around on your nose and provide a good seal.
"My life was restarted on June 29th, 2007"
63 yr. male
pre-CPAP apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) of 64
Prescribed for a 6 but I like to fool with things, and prefer 7
NoseHose

Machine: Resmed S8 w/ over 11,000 hours
Mask: Resmed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2007

Postby DawnM » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks. I have completed night 4 now, but I can't seem to get past about 6.5 hours. I wake around 5-6 am each morning and rip the CPAP off and sleep another hour or two.

Hoping that magic 1 week mark will change things for me.
DawnM

Postby djap21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I got my cpap machine and pillow mask on Wednesday. I've slept like a champ each night, can't remember sleep so good, I wake up about 3 times a night cause I think I've over slept or slept the alarm cause I'm sleeping so good. The morning after first sleeping in the mask everything was fine. However yesterday and this morning my nose hurts like you know what. I'm sorry to hear others are experiencing this but so glad I'm not alone and there's support that can point us in the right direction to with the problem. Thanks again
djap21

Postby lc96 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:42 pm

I never could get used to the pillows, and found that a nasal mask was the answer. The air and pressure is diffused over a greater area.
lc96

Postby DawnM » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks. My nose no longer hurts but I am still not sleeping well. I am a tummy and side sleeper and these things just don't work well with that type of sleeping! UGH!
DawnM

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions