Mask replacement frequency

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Mask replacement frequency

Postby zephyr » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:03 pm

How often do people replace masks? I know the manufacturers and companies selling equipment will say twice year but if your mask is working and seems to be in good shape I have to question the need to replace it.

What are you guys an gals doing in that respect?
Resmed S9 Elite / Humidaire H5i Heated Humidifier
Swift LT nasal Pillow mask
diagnosed Sept 2010
zephyr

Re: Mask replacement frequency

Postby woocrew2 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 pm

My company and insurance company say every 90 days, so thats what I do
Fisher & Paykel Icon Auto
Flexifit 407 nasal mask
woocrew2

Postby Perrybucsdad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:52 pm

Do you replace the who mask, or just the foam/gel parts?
Perrybucsdad

Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby woocrew2 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Everything, mask foam and gel parts I will often change style of masks so that I have a variety like a full face mask for when I have a cold it is almost impossible to use a nasal mask or nasal pillows while stuffy. I also keep the old masks and sometimes use them but I really keep them as backup hope this helps.
Fisher & Paykel Icon Auto
Flexifit 407 nasal mask
woocrew2

Postby CrohnieToo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:50 pm

If it has been three months and you see your stats creeping up, AHI getting a little higher, it is definitely time to replace at least the mask cushion.

Altho most insurances allow for a new cushion every 30 days, new mask every 90 days and new headgear every 180 days, most will last longer. The problem w/replacing cushions every 30 days and mask every 90 days is that most local DME providers will not bother to keep mask parts in stock, they want to provide only the entire mask.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby glennaa11 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 pm

back when I was using a mask with replaceable parts I would change the cushion part every 3 months or so. But since I switched to the Hans-Rudolph mask I have been using the same one for over a year.
glennaa11

Postby snoreaholic » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 pm

I used a Mirage Quattro for 2 and a half years, I did change the cushion out every three months. The mask is still in great shape and I keep it for a spare. I also wanted to see how long a hose would last, Yep, it also lasted 2+ years and is a spare now.
snoreaholic

Year Diagnosed: 2008

Postby CrohnieToo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm

When you are eligible for a new mask and headgear, even if you don't need them, its a good idea to go ahead and let your insurance pay for the new mask and headgear and then keep it on hand as a backup for that inopportune time when a part of your current mask will break or give out on a weekend or holiday. Who wants a stockpile of unused masks and headgear laying around??? But one extra as a backup is always rather reassurring.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Caroline Gaibel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:07 pm

I agree, that having a spare is useful and wise. I recently did surgery and took my CPAP in with me and my wonderful respiratory therapist recommended that I obtain a spare to use at home to make sure that none of the nasty hospital bacterias travel home with me in the tubing or mask as unwelcome guests.
So every 3 months is when I get a replacement. Make sure that you are aware of getting the SLIMLINE hosing which is much lighter than the regular kind.
I write about how important it is to find specific heroes to guide you in this crazy sleep apnea journey and invite you to check it out.
Caroline
Caroline Gaibel

Year Diagnosed: 2

Postby Bearded One » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:25 pm

I have a number of spare masks and a drawer full of old masks. I have been using ComfortGel masks for several years and I used to replace them when the headgear attachment point broke. They have since upgraded the headgear attachment point and I think that I have been using my current mask for close to a year -- and I don't anticipate replacing it for a long time. BTW, I don't bother with washing my mask or hose (I don't use a humidifier), and have had no problems with that. I just keep the filters clean and dust my machine..
Bearded One

Postby Janknitz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Most people do not need an entire mask as often as most insurers will replace them, but it's ALWAYS good to have a spare, so I suggest in the first year you get "replacement supplies" according to your insurer's schedule (but you don't have to start using the new mask or cushion until you need it). Then you will have a stock of spare parts and you can use a mask for as long as you like and it's working for you.

I do think it's wasteful to continue to get regular replacements after you have a decent stash of "just in case" spares.
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

• Site Supporter