Mask/Air Hose Question

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

• Site Supporter

Mask/Air Hose Question

Postby Grump » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:49 am

Having been recently diagnosed with SA, I received my CPAP (Remstar M Series Plus with Cflex and a Comfort Gel Mask) yesterday and last night was my first night since my sleep study on a CPAP machine. I woke up this morning with a tender red sore on the bridge of my nose. After reading some posts here, it looks like this is fairly common. I will try a bandaid tonight and hope it helps.

I do have a question about cleaning the hose. I washed my mask and hose this morning and this evening when setting the CPAP up, I noticed that the inside of the hose was still wet. How do you dry out the hose or does it really matter?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Grump

Postby Linda » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:24 am

Hi Grump,

You have to clean those things?? ;-)

Some folks will clean their hose and hang it on the shower curtain rod to drain and dry out. Others will let the cpap run a few minutes before using it, to dry out the hose. Whatever works best for you.

Linda
Linda

Postby alanwaldo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:23 am

Just shake out the excess water by slinging the hose in a circle, hook it up to the machine, turn it on, go to sleep. It will dry it out and work like a passive humidifier for a few minutes.

Really worried? Tie a rag on a string, a weight on the other end, drop it into the hose, pull the rag through, it's dry!
Alan, W4WMM
Joined the "Club": 8-Aug-07
AHI 69.3
Respironics REMstar M-Series Model 100M (DS100H)
Pressure 11 cm-h20.
Respironics Heated Humidifier
ResMed Activa
SnuggleHose hose Cover
alanwaldo

Postby Grump » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:19 am

Linda/Alan,

Thanks for the advice, I won't worry about the little bit of water left at the end of the day. It's a good thing I read the literature that came with the CPAP as I was told I only needed to clean the hose and mask weekly when I picked up the equipment.

I have a question about the soreness on the bridge of my nose. I tried a bandaid last night and it is more red and tender than yesterday. Is this normal? I don't think the mask is too tight, but I am evidently doing something wrong.

Thanks.
Grump

Postby Frances » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:35 pm

It's normal in that it often happens to new users, otherwise not.

Your mask needs adjusting. Probably you need to change the tilt of your mask. I see you have a Resperonics mask, so go to their website for information on what you need to do. They have an animated illustration of the problem.

In the meantime, be careful of that sore spot and don't let it become an open wound. Btw, moleskin makes a good pad.

Let us know how you get on.
Frances

Postby Grump » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:18 am

Frances,

Thanks for the information. I will give moleskin a try tomorrow.

Other than this irritation, I think I have taken to the CPAP fairly well. I have worn the mask three nights, all night. Now I'm just waiting to feel it working.
Grump

Postby Frances » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:18 pm

Grump, I forgot to mention that Resperonics masks can be adjusted at the forehead piece to change the tilt of the mask. I'm not sure that their website makes that clear.

This problem happened to my husband too and we found out about the adjustment quite by chance.

It's great that you are adjusting well; this is not an easy therapy to get used to.
Frances

Sore nose

Postby Grandma » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:42 am

Grump,
I don't know if this will help you but I will pass on what I learned in a long email I got from a nurse who works for ResMed Corp. when I wrote them about some problems I have with my Quattro full face mask. She said for people who have a sensitive nasal bridge, you can use foam tape over the bridge of the nose to cushion it and still obtain a good seal from most masks. She recommended 3M "Microfoam" tape which can be purchased from them on their website or in drug stores and pharmacies. You can even use more than one strip of tape over the nasal bridge to cushion it. Good luck!
Grandma
Grandma

Postby pseudonym » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Grump,

All the advice here on adjusting mask or using padding like the microfoam tape is excellent advice, and do give these things a try.

HOWEVER, if the sore on your nose is not noticably improved during any of these experiments DO NOT CONTINUE WITH THIS MASK. Contact your DME/doctor and get a nasal interface like pillows, direct-seal, or prongs so you can get the mask off your nose and allow the sore to heal. Then try this mask again, perhaps in a different size or with padding from the onset to see if it will still work for you.

I got a red mark from my first nasal mask, no big deal, put a bandaid on it the next night and kept going. This worked for about a month, the mask was comfortable and I only had a little red mark that persisted for a few hours each morning.

Then one night I awoke to a stab of pain on my nose, and it throbbed the rest of the night. I looked under the bandaid and it only looked a little worse, but it sure it did hurt a lot.

You think I would quit? Nope, kept going, this time doubling the padding, trying tape over it first followed by padding, trying silicone putty earplugs, tried theatrical latex 'fake wound' gop, after another couple of weeks I had an angry oozing pressure sore, and my entire nose was bright red. Did I mention it hurt like a SOMBCH.

I finally got some sense and got a nasal pillows mask to use so I could let my nose heal. Even with doctor's treatment my nose took almost 3 months to heal!!! Even now my nose is still light pink, like a bit of sunburn, my doctor told me this type of redness sometimes never goes away, I may very well have a permanently pink nose now. :-(

So please do not continue these experiments for your nose spot UNLESS you are seeing obvious improvement. Night after night of that spot having pressure applied and you may very well end up where I did, and incur permanent damage too.

I really don't care for nasal pillows so my hunt was on for a different nasal cushion. The ComfortLite 2 cushion was OK (I had been using the CL2 nasal pillows while I let my nose heal). I don't require a Full Face mask as I'm not a mouth breather, but before this wound happened I had already ordered one to have on hand for when I have a cold or other reason I can't breathe through my nose.

The FF mask I ordered is a Hans Ruldolph FF (model 7600). Well I am really liking this mask. It hits my nose in a completely different spot, and my nose is not at all sore or even red there. The mask is very very quiet, virtually silent. So far it is not leaking except in unusual situation (and I'm working on that one).

So for now I've abandoned my hunt for another nasal cushion mask and am continuing with HRFF, it might very well be my regular mask now. We'll see, I haven't had it long enough to know for sure but so far it is working out really well.

Best of luck to you with this Grump, change masks if you have to, either to let the red mark/sore heal and then try again with this mask later, or look for a different mask after your nose clears up. DON'T keep going thinking it will get better, it won't.

Blessings,
--pseudonym
Last edited by pseudonym on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pseudonym

Re Nose Soreness

Postby bdz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Well, I have tried a number of things. The best so far for me:
1. A foam bandaid on which I put some Lansinoh (lanolin ointment for breast feeding mothers)
2. Thin moleskin with the same lanolin. I attach the sticky side of the moleskin (1 inch sq) to some tape then place it on my nose.
3. The very small bubbles like in bubble wrap (1/4 inch diameter) Cut two or more (1 inch sq worth), attach to tape and tape to nose.

I have to be careful with the tape and found 3M Transpore tape and the Johnson and Johnson tape the nurses always use that tears. Could not find the name on the tape's tube. I only let a small amount of tape touch my nose...just enough to keep it in place.
Peace begins with each of us, as individuals
bdz

Machine: Fisher Paykel Premo CPAP
Mask: Oracle
Humidifier: Premo
Year Diagnosed: 2007

Postby llb » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:18 pm

The adjustment of the forehead piece is critical for proper fit. It can force you to over tighten the top straps, which then pops out the bottom of the mask, requiring even more tightening (kind of a teeter-totter effect) :lol:

I have heard good things about the Resmed Activa - which also requires a proper adjustment of the forehead piece.

First and formost tho - follow pseudonym's advice!!

HOWEVER, if the sore on your nose is not noticably improved during any of these experiments DO NOT CONTINUE WITH THIS MASK. Contact your DME/doctor and get a nasal interface like pillows, direct-seal, or prongs so you can get the mask off your nose and allow the sore to heal.
llb

Postby Maria7 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:24 pm

I really liked the ComfortGel but I had to give up on it. I tried every possible adjustment, tape, silicone and moleskin but could not prevent the sore spot on the bridge. I now use the Ultra Mirage II and the Optilife alternately, only because I have both. It's not easy finding the best mask for you, some of us have had to buy several. If you can go to a supplier that will let you try different ones, you may find one that suits you better. There are some on this forum that use the CGel successfully, I just wish I had been one of them.
ResMed S8 Elite, F&P Flexifit 406, Optilife
AHI 54/hr, Pressure 10, desat. 73
Maria7

Postby Frances » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 pm

I echo Pseudonym's comments about the nose sore. Any open area on the skin can become infected and there is always the possibility that it could make you seriously ill with a skin infection called cellulitis (from staph or strep, I forget which). It is better to go without the mask, or find a different kind, rather than risk it. (Someone did post quite a few months ago that he had a cellulitis infection from just such a sore).
Frances

Re: Mask/Air Hose Question

Postby ToHellAndBack » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:56 pm

Grump wrote:Having been recently diagnosed with SA, I received my CPAP (Remstar M Series Plus with Cflex and a Comfort Gel Mask) yesterday and last night was my first night since my sleep study on a CPAP machine. I woke up this morning with a tender red sore on the bridge of my nose. After reading some posts here, it looks like this is fairly common. I will try a bandaid tonight and hope it helps.

I do have a question about cleaning the hose. I washed my mask and hose this morning and this evening when setting the CPAP up, I noticed that the inside of the hose was still wet. How do you dry out the hose or does it really matter?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldnt even bother putting a band aide on it, just leave it alone and let the air get to it. :-) I went through the exact same thing and after several weeks it goes away on its own.

As far as my hose, I disconnect it every morning and just lay it across my bed, out of the direct sunlight. I dont hang it anywhere. I wash my hose and mask once per week with mild liquid hand soap, plus disinfect with vinegar water solution once per week.

I wash my humidifier chamber EVERY DAY with Dove unscented soap and disinfect it with a vinegar/water solution once per week. The humidifier is warm, wet place rife for bacteria and mold buildup, so I wash that sucker every day.

This approach has so far kept me from getting too awful congested and has probably prevented some sinus infections.

Fred
"We don't need socialized medicine, what we need is insurance reform."

Resmed S8 Autoset Vantage, HumidAire 3i, Resmed Quattro ffmask
ToHellAndBack

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions