Marijuana and sleep apnea

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Postby ima16 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:36 pm

The worst thing you can do is form an opinion

pot -> kettle -> black (pun intented :lol: )
ima16

Re: venomous blast

Postby pamunkey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Nelson Mandella wrote:Don't read this unless you want your blood pressure to rise.

1) How about, "Don't WRITE this unless you want your blood pressure to rise." You seem to have been on the verge of a major coronary event by the time you ended with a 137 word sentence. As for my blood pressure, don't worry. I thought your post was hilarious.

2) Say hi to Winnie for me.
pamunkey

Cannabinoids and sleep apnea

Postby JMartin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 pm

I know the majority of you may disagree. I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea about two years ago. During my study I had 21 apneic episodes per hour. I was nearly non-functional during waking hours. Still have a CPAP and pretty much can't sleep with it more than an hour or so. I tried marijuana in high school, but that was more than 20 years ago. Well after reading a few articles that marijuana may help sleep apnea I decided to to try it. I won't debate the science, or disagree on the studies that indicate that marijuana may make OSA worse. But I can tell you I have no more night sweats, wife says I don't snore and gasp all night, I feel great in the morning, and my CPAP is in the closet.

It seems to help.
JMartin

Postby Sea Pappy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:52 am

Here is an except from a study done on Delta9THC. Basically the study suggest that pot reduces sleep apnea.

Serotonin, acting in the peripheral nervous system, can exacerbate sleep-related apnea, and systemically administered serotonin antagonists reduce sleep-disordered respiration.

Because Cannabinoid receptor agonists are known to inhibit the excitatory effects of serotonin on nodose ganglion cells, we examined the effects of endogenous (oleamide) and exogenous (delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol; delta9THC) cannabimimetic agents on sleep-related apnea.

MEASUREMENTS AND RESULTS: Our data show that delta9THC and oleamide each stabilized respiration during all sleep stages. With delta9THC, apnea index decreased by 42% (F=2.63; p=0.04) and 58% (F=2.68; p=0.04) in NREM and REM sleep, respectively. Oleamide produced equivalent apnea suppression.

This observation suggests an important role for endocannabinoids in maintaining autonomic stability during sleep. Oleamide and delta9THC blocked serotonin-induced exacerbation of sleep apnea (p<0.05 for each), suggesting that inhibitory coupling between Cannabinoids and serotonin receptors in the peripheral nervous system may act on apnea expression.

CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates potent suppression of sleep-related apnea by both exogenous and endogenous Cannabinoids. These findings are of relevance to the pathogenesis and pharmacological treatment of sleep-related breathing disorders.
Sea Pappy

Postby pseudonym » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 am

Hi SeaPappy,

I searched and have found the exact quote you've given here, but all the sources I could find were websites promoting the use of legaized marajuana and none were from published medical journals or institutions.

These sources state the study was published by the University of Illinois in "sleep 2002" but so far I cannot find the published study.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'd prefer to see the full published study details and not just a quote from a non-medical website. If you know of such a link would you please post it?

Blessings,
--pseudonym
pseudonym

Postby Vicki » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:51 am

Here it is:

Functional role for cannabinoids in respiratory stability during sleep.

The principle investigator (PI), M. Radulovacki then published 19 more peer reviewed research articles on the "neurochemistry and neuropharmacology of sleep-related changes in respiratory pattern generation and modulation" which are extremely deep.

With this being the most recently published in July:
Pharmacology of vagal afferent influences on disordered breathing during sleep.

The PI only used cannabinoids simply as a tool (because its action on brain chemistry is known) to point to a direction to follow to further understand brain neurochemistry and physiology and identify potential and potent drugs. The PI is still working on it BTW.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby Sea Pappy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:09 pm

pseudonym wrote:Hi SeaPappy,

I searched and have found the exact quote you've given here, but all the sources I could find were websites promoting the use of legaized marajuana and none were from published medical journals or institutions.

These sources state the study was published by the University of Illinois in "sleep 2002" but so far I cannot find the published study.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'd prefer to see the full published study details and not just a quote from a non-medical website. If you know of such a link would you please post it?

Blessings,
--pseudonym

I would put my trust in natural Marajauna before I trusted presriptions that changed brain chemistry. There was a book written in Edmonton Canada called the Black Candle. It was a stupid little book written by an uptight preachers wife. This book is what started the paranoia about Pot in the states in the first place. There shouldn't really even be a debate about the usefullness of medical marajauna. The fact that it can help Chemo patients eat is enough of an advantage to end the legal and moral debate.

P.S. I don't smoke pot. Being a Canadian from Edmonton I have seen the medical uses first hand however.
Sea Pappy

Re: Marijuana and sleep apnea

Postby extraterrestrialfish » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:13 am

Hello, I use marijuana to help fall asleep and it works great as long as it is medicated one to four hours before sleep and I always wake up refreshed. Smoking cannabis can make obstructive sleep apnea worse due to the pressure smoke puts on the throat and lungs, but THC can be taken in edibles or pills to eliminate that factor, or more concentrated and potent forms of THC, like hash can be smoked so that smoking can be minimal. Therefore, prescriptions for medical marijuana can be given to sleep apnea patients.
extraterrestrialfish

Machine: ResMed
Mask: Fisher & Paykel
Humidifier: no
Year Diagnosed: 1997

Postby mariathc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 am

Yes, it can help.
And if you have already seen a doctor about those problems and are currently taking prescription medications, then you would qualify for medical marijuana.
mariathc

Postby blueh2o » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Personally, this is a very interesting subject as I have experience with sleep apnea and marijuana use having grown up in Norcal.

1. I can say personally that marijuana is the best drug to mitigate sleep deprivation symptoms during the daytime.
2. I can also say that it does nothing for my sleep apnea or quality of sleep.

My interest, at this point, is regarding the fact that I know many habitual marijuana users that also have sleep apnea. The percentage is amazingly high, thus I wonder if there is some correlation between the habitual, long-term use of marijuana and development of obstructive sleep apnea. I plan on discussing with my ENT...after he performs my sleep apnea surgery.
blueh2o

Machine: Resmed CPAP S9
Mask: Quattro Fx Full Face Mask
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Dianne » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:01 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2442418/

Looks like discontinuance of MJ use can cause sleep disturbance, too.
Dianne's: Remstar Auto M, C-flex, smart card. Mask: Swift LT. AHI- 23, lowest blood ox 80%.

John's: Resmed S8 Autoset II w/EPR, Mask: Respironics Profile-lite
severe apnea, Cpap user for more than 20 years.
Dianne

Postby LetsFaceIt--ImTired » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Medical-Marijuana caused me to overcome my inability to tolerate my mask months after i first got the mask.

I really regret the disinformation the world has been fed about marijuana [by vested interests] with

respect to it's effectiveness for this illness and many others.

Specifically, I chose the most sedating strain from my local dispensary. Months later now

I no longer need to use it to fall asleep (I only use it for sleep, never otherwise).

However, on nights when I do have

trouble sleeping I use it to help me sleep. Some of you wonder why I don't use

the (corporate) pharmaceutical industry's drugs. I don't because they give me

incredibly uncomfortable side-effects like extreme fatigue but inability to sleep,

very uncomfortable throbbing sensations in my feet, and severe fogginess of

consciousness the next day, and headaches. Positively horrible stuff.

I told my Sleep Dr about all of the above and he replied something like well, so long

as you using (he named the sleepy strain much to my surprise) I see no problem with that,

just avoid alcohol. (yet alcohol is the legal drug, go figure)

Also, the Medical-Marijuana licensing office here in the SF Bay Area CA specifically advises all

patients to use a vaporizer to avoid the health risks of smoke inhalation. They go for $100-200

Where i live this is legal so please respect that.
LetsFaceIt--ImTired

Postby Asphyxium » Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 am

I know this is an old thread but it comes up in google searches about sleep apnea and cannabis and I want to set the record straight.

Recent research shows that the active cannabinoid THC "stabilizes autonomic output during sleep, reduces spontaneous sleep-disordered breathing, and blocks serotonin-induced exacerbation of sleep apnea".

In other words, there is a "significant" result when treating sleep apnea with natural and synthetic (Dronabinol AKA Marinol) THC.

For those inexperienced in cannabis matters, this is the chemical that gets you high. You cannot get effects from smoking strains high in other cannabinoids.

It should be noted however that smoking the dried flowers of the cannabis plant produces effects that only last a couple of hours so it is critical that the patient consume butane hash oil, which lasts 2.5 times as long and perhaps even longer.

The research is available from the National Center for Biotechnology Information. My account does not have the ability to post links. Sorry about that.

I hope this post is not deleted as for some of us cannabis is the only option left. I cannot sleep with a CPAP machine, even with sleeping pills.

In seeking this option for therapy you might run into obstacles due to overly conservative medical marijuana laws. I believe only the state of California allows you to get a doctor's recommendation for sleep apnea despite the severity of the matter due to a lack of awareness as to the medical effect. Most states have chosen to only allow a strictly limited list of conditions wheras the state of California allows ALL conditions that are treated by cannabis to be acceptable as long as the prescribing physician agrees that cannabis treatment is a good idea.
Asphyxium

Previous

• Site Supporter