Just started CPAP, how long to feel better?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Just started CPAP, how long to feel better?

Postby sleepyatl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Hello guys and gals,
I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea this month. I havent been told how severe I have it but my mom has it severe and my dad has it moderate. I am probably somewhere in between. For many years I was misdiagnosed from doctors. My symtoms started at the age of 17 with severe depression and problems with concentrating in school. So of course I was given anitdepressants that did not work. In my early 20's, I started suffering from impotence and low testosterone. Mid 20's I started suffering from chronic sinus infections despite no allergies(confirmed by several docs) and a normal functioning immune system(confirmed by a immunologist). Despite 3 sinus surgeries, no relief to the sinusitis. Mid 20's also started suffering from heart palpitations with no known cause despite several cardiologists doing a complete workup. I am now 31 and I was at the end of my rope. I was so tired and still suffering from all the symtoms listed earlier. My family doctor recommended I go for a sleep study which I did this month and just got my CPAP yesterday. I can say my first night of sleep with it was good. I think I havent been getting enough Deep and REM sleep for years, so the feeling this morning of actually feeling good was very foreign. Dreams were very real and vivid. So my question is this, how long (a guess of course) would you guys think it will take my body to start resolving these symptoms?
sleepyatl

Machine: ResMed AutoSet
Mask: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: Just started CPAP, how long to feel better?

Postby Boxerdogfan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Welcome to the forum. Members here vary in how quick they respond to CPAP treatment, 2 weeks, 2 years, some still struggle everyday. Your symptoms possibly are not caused by sleep apnea, yet again they just might be. Most importantly, maybe you should keep a log or notate on a calendar how you are feeling each day and discuss with your physician at your next appointment. FYI, using CPAP helps my sinus problems........ Regards, boxerdogfan
Boxerdogfan

Machine: Respironics System One APAP A-Flex
Mask: Quattro FX
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2008

Postby trebons » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 pm

It just takes time with some folks. Sometimes the positive change is so gradual that it's difficult to notice it, until one day, you just realize, "hey, I feel a whole lot better than I did 3 months ago"..I guess it depends on many other factors how much brain damage has been done (if any), and if sleep apnea is the only problem .
trebons

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask: Nasal

Postby Linda » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 pm

It's a very good sign that you're already experiencing improvement. Keep noticing how things improve, any problems using the equipment, and be sure to have follow-up appointments.

As the others said, it quite varies how people improve. But you're lucky, you're already noticing improvement. I like trebons' description of one day, you just realize it. Some people won't notice any improvements, then all of a sudden they feel it. Everyone is different. The important thing is to monitor how're doing and if the equipment is working successfully for you (comfortable mask, few leaks, able to sleep longer hours with it, etc.) And yeah, sleep apnea can run in families, because many of us inherit the throat structure. Thanks folks! :) I'm sure my mother had it, and my brother has it. And one of our moderators, Okie, well, she has so many relatives with sleep apnea and using cpap, that if they all book a hotel, the electricity goes dim. teehee.

Linda
The info provided on this site is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice.
You should not use info on this website to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider...
Linda

Postby sleepyatl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks for everyones response so far. It helps and is reassuring. I feel addicted to my CPAP already because with it I know I am less likely to gasp, choke, and stop breathing like before. Last night I did not have any vivid dreams that I remember. There was one instance last night where I woke up and caught myself snoring. Not sure what that was about but my machine records information and I adjusted my mask. No leaks for the mask so far. My first follow up with my Pulmonologist is Jan. 4th.
sleepyatl

Postby graciebelle » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:06 pm

For me I felt better relatively quickly, and have noticed health improvements over the last year since I started CPAP therapy. I used to get bronchitis regularly, up to four times a year. Getting onto asthma and allergy medication did help, but I still got sick every six months or so. Now I haven't had an episode since March, and I am off one of my more potent meds, and using fewer inhalers. I told my asthma/allergy doc, I attribute this to the improvement in my health since I have been getting enough O2 when I sleep at night.

I'm glad you got a good first night's sleep. Just keep with it, you're maybe not going to be at 100 percent in the first week but I imagine you'll see incremental changes over a longer period of time that are all positive. Yay!
Mild Sleep Apnea- AHI 10.4-85% untreated oxygen sat.
Respironics M-Pro w/humidifier Pressure setting: 10
Optilife Nasal Cushions and head gear
graciebelle

Postby sleepyatl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:46 pm

That's interesting that you had bronchitis and I have sinusitis. I think the apneas just weaken everyones immune system. Your progress gives me hope because I have been living with sinusitis for over 10 years that at times is quite painful. I just think my immune system isn't strong enough to kill it. I to get sick several times a year. I have noticed that over the last year it takes longer to get over any kind of bug. Only time will tell. Thanks for the support.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
sleepyatl

Postby graciebelle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:56 am

My pleasure, and do keep us posted as your therapy progresses. Sounds like you are off to an excellent start, and there are only good things ahead.
Mild Sleep Apnea- AHI 10.4-85% untreated oxygen sat.
Respironics M-Pro w/humidifier Pressure setting: 10
Optilife Nasal Cushions and head gear
graciebelle

Postby Sleepster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 pm

sleepyatl wrote:I think the apneas just weaken everyones immune system. [ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

Well, everyone knows that sleep helps you get over things like a cold or the flu. It just plain makes you feel better about everything.
IPAP 10, EPAP 7, Bi-Flex 3, Humidifier 2
Sleepster

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Pro
Mask: ComfortLite2 Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: PR System One

Postby newpap » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Wow! You were alble to fall asleep in the mask the first night? PLEASE, what's your secret?? I am so conscious of my breathing that it is actually making my breathing out of rhythm. I was unable to fall asleep -- at all. I ended up removing the mask at 2:30 in hopes of salvaging the rest of the dark hours. I am so desperate for a night of real sleep. It's been so many years since.
newpap

Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby alarkiel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm a newbie myself just started using an auto cpap 4 days ago, I found that sitting in bed and reading a story or reading blogs helped me to ignore my breathing. I discovered that my first night and I'm glad its worked for me. I hope that maybe it helps you too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
alarkiel

Postby Raxx » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm used to a noisy room with a fish tank filter and cat fountain. But I still had to play music the first week to cover the machine's noise.
With me I had a good first week and then two weeks of pulling off my mask during the night while half asleep. I din't find too uncomfortabl ewhiel falling alseep so wasn't sure why I did that.
Took a few more weeks to get used to it. So don't be too surprise if you have a small set back in the beginning. Just stay strong and keep going. It will get keep getting better and better !
Raxx

Machine: PR Remstar Pro ds 460
Mask: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: yes, system one
Year Diagnosed: 2012

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!