Is sleep apnea overall a really bad disorder ?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Is sleep apnea overall a really bad disorder ?

Postby KsUp » Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 pm

I mean I'm 18 with it and I have loads of other problems but some people I've seen talk about it like its a death sentence and it kinda trips me out
KsUp

Re: Is sleep apnea overall a really bad disorder ?

Postby Bons » Wed May 22, 2013 8:31 pm

It is definitely NOT a death sentence. It is just about entirely manageable and as long as it is being treated will not cause damage. UNTREATED sleep apnea can lead to a whole host of health problems concerning the heart, kidneys, etc or cause accidents due to exhaustion. And, let's face it, no one without sleep apnea would choose to sleep with a cpap and having a mask attached to their face. But after awhile strapping on the mask becomes as routine as brushing your teeth and other bedtime preparations.

My husband, daughter and I are all using different machines (cpap, bipap and ASV). She was diagnosed at your age, and has many other issues (polycystic ovary syndrome, hypothyroid, asthma to name a few). Sleep apnea is the least of her problems.

Have you had a sleep study yet to try out different masks and get a pap prescribed? There are lots of hints, like being sure to try a variety of masks, and knowing that you have 30 days to return one to try something else if you need to. Also, be sure that you get a machine that will monitor your treatment: if a ResMed machine, make sure it has "elite" in its name and do not accept anything with escape in its name. The escapes do not measure the effectiveness of the machine.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby bubbles90 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I was diagnosed at 22. Everything I had heard was bad. I was very scared but when I got on this forum I learned that it wasn't all that bad. I'm just glad that I was diagnosed so that I could get treatment and feel better. After I got my CPAP it was like a whole new world! I feel a lot better when I wake up in the morning.

My CPAP has help a lot with my allergies, asthma and claustrophobia.
Mild OSA (AHI 77)
PR Remstar System One with A Flex, 560P
Heated Humidifier (Love It)
Swift FX For Her Nasal Pillows Mask
*~Stomach Sleeper For Life~*
bubbles90

Postby aspen31 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 pm

you will be surprised how smart you are, when you get cpap working for you. i can easily shave 20 points off of my i.q. by having a bad sleep night over a good night.

untreated, it is a very severe condition.

rick
aspen31

• Site Supporter