• Site Supporter

INFECTION FROM NOT CLEANING CPAP?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

INFECTION FROM NOT CLEANING CPAP?

Postby pain32 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:45 pm

I keep on getting these colds and infections when I use the CPAP. I've been cleaning it with hot water but not every day.
Do you use dishwasher liquid or something else to clean it? Maybe hydrogen peroxide might help.
pain32

Re: INFECTION FROM NOT CLEANING CPAP?

Postby Bons » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:49 pm

pain32 wrote:I keep on getting these colds and infections when I use the CPAP. I've been cleaning it with hot water but not every day.
Do you use dishwasher liquid or something else to clean it? Maybe hydrogen peroxide might help.

You can clean your mask, hose and humidifier with pure soap or mild detergent; don't soak anything for more than ten minutes, according to my mask manufacturer. I use ivory soap; others use baby shampoo or a mild dish detergent. My mask manufacturer says not to use anything with bleach or antibiotic ingredients (like hand sanitzer).
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

CPAP infection

Postby pain32 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 pm

I think antibacterial dishwashing detergent seems good. But why can't you use AB's or like hydrogen peroxide? the tubing and mask gets dirty after a while
pain32

READ AND FOLLOW MANUFACTURER'S CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS...

Postby truckerdad57 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:40 pm

OK repeat after me...

The folks that made the equipment know what will and will not harm the materials they are made out of. You start messing with using stuff they have not tested you can make the things brittle or break more easily.

The real trick is cleaning your mask and hose on a regular basis. My first year on CPAP I was pretty sloppy about cleaning. A bad case of broncitis taught me a tough lesson.
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Postby Bons » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Do not use antibacterial products. They degrade the silicone. Your instructions that came with your mask tells you this.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby White Beard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:29 am

There is CPAP citrus wipes and spray made for cleaning this stuff, I like the wipes to clean the seal of mask with just before putting it on. I clean my humidifier and hose every week or two, but I always use distilled water in my humidifier. But when I clean the humidifier I take it all apart and spray it down good and then wash it and rinse and thoroughly dry it. Good Luck to you.....White Beard
White Beard with a White Beard
Resmed VPAP Adapt SV Enhanced, HumidAire 2i, ResLink with Model 8000 Flex sensor Pulse Oximeter, and ResScan 3.5 software. Respironic EverFlo OPI Oxygen Concentrator 3 lpm
EEP 14.0, min PS 14.0, max PS 24.0, FitLife Mask
White Beard

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt SV enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: yes ResMed HumidAire 2iC
Year Diagnosed: 2007

Postby LTee43 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:28 am

I have a stubborn sinus infection and just switched to a nasal pillows mask. I didn't wash my old nasal mask and hose as often as I should have, so I'm going to keep up with the new set up and keep that cleaner. I change the filter in the back to keep out dust, that thing gets funky fast!

LT
No, I wasn't sleeping. I was checking my eyelids for pinholes!
Equipment: Resmed S8 Escape, Resmed Swift Fx 61500 Nasal Pillows Mask
LTee43

filters

Postby truckerdad57 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:35 am

LTee43 wrote: I change the filter in the back to keep out dust, that thing gets funky fast!

LT

Think about how fast those filters get funky when you live and sleep in a truck sleeper.

Phillips and Devilbiss both have HEPA filters that can go on the air intake in addition to the normal filter. The finer white paper type HEPA filters clog up even faster than the foam washable filters but they can help keep out stuff coming in the air intake.

I don't think ResMed has anything like the foam washable filter other brands have.
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Re: filters

Postby LTee43 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:03 pm

truckerdad57 wrote:
LTee43 wrote: I change the filter in the back to keep out dust, that thing gets funky fast!

LT

Think about how fast those filters get funky when you live and sleep in a truck sleeper.

Phillips and Devilbiss both have HEPA filters that can go on the air intake in addition to the normal filter. The finer white paper type HEPA filters clog up even faster than the foam washable filters but they can help keep out stuff coming in the air intake.

I don't think ResMed has anything like the foam washable filter other brands have.

Yeah, the filters I use look like they can be cut out of a Fram PCV breather element. Pretty coarse and mine is disposable, although I have washed it when I ran out of them. For you, I'd think you'd want the coarser filter on the outside to catch the big pieces, then let the HEPA filter do its thing.

LT
LTee43

CPAP problems

Postby pain32 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

So how much are the filters and where can you get them? Does antibacterial soap really wear away the silicone?
I just keep getting infections so I don't see any other option
pain32

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Over use of Antibacterial soap or anything will make you more prone to infections. My husband over used hand sanitizer and ended up with major skin issues. and YES...stated very clearly above...it will damage your equipment! I use plain ol' joy dishwashing soap, dove soap or ivory soap to clean my equipment. I will use white distilled vinegar on the hard plastics...diluted with water..and if I feel I have a cold coming on I will do a quick wash (no soaking) of my mask with a vinegar bath.

Your infections may be from something totally different.... as said, filters, call your DME or just look up cpap filters online..then find the ones that are made for your machine. Do you irrigate your sinuses on a regular basis? Are you using a nasal spray script? Are you using the right amount of humidity? Do you have dusty surroundings, irritants in the air or animals? What does the air intake on your machine back up to? Drapes?, carpet?, is the area clear of items?
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Re: CPAP problems

Postby LTee43 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:56 pm

pain32 wrote:So how much are the filters and where can you get them? Does antibacterial soap really wear away the silicone?
I just keep getting infections so I don't see any other option

If you have a surgical supply store locally, they should carry them. I get mine from my DME, but have bought some in a pinch. I'm sure you can find them online anywhere, do yourself a favor and get at least 12, they're dirt cheap.

I doubt these particulate filters are contributing to your problem. I'd keep the hose clean, that's where things sit and percolate. You really should replace your hose on a regular basis. Some providers go with 3 months, others 6 months.

I rinse my hose with a solution of hot tap water and dial hand soap, just pour it it, cap both ends with your fingers, slosh it around, rinse and hang it up to dry.

LT
LTee43

trouble concentrating, heart racing

Postby pain32 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 pm

The problem I'm having is I can't concentrate or rest and my heart seems to racing all the time-
I also have asthma. I was using the nose mask but it was irritating so I switched to full face mask
and it seems better but I wake up every 2 hours or so. I use Afrin and have a nebulizer. Can you irrigate with your own saline solution
with the nebulizer or some other device? Yeah there seems to be a lot of dust and allergens in the air.
What is the air intake?
pain32

steroids

Postby pain32 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:19 pm

I think steroids helped my condition but then my doctor doesn't want me to take it for longer than 14 days or so.
pain32

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:45 am

If you have asthma you may be better off with a BiPAP and not a CPAP or APAP.

You can make your own saline for the irrigation, I prefer to buy the NeilMed sinus irrigation packets..they are cheap enough.... I use a Sinus rinse bottle..some use a netti pot.
Look at the sticky's at the top of the Help Forum...there is one there on irrigation.

Sorry, the air intake is the area the filters are located...where the machine sucks in the room air.

Keep your area dust free...clean/vac often and make sure the machine is not sitting near fabric/carpets.

LTee...I found I can pinch one end of the hose and insert it into the other end...then hang onto the hose at that point and slush it all around :-)
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions