• Site Supporter

I stop breathing day and night, asleep or awake.

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

I stop breathing day and night, asleep or awake.

Postby Davescave » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 am

I stop breathing day and night, asleep or awake. I had my sleep study done on Sunday. The technician had one other patient that night, and got off to a bad start right away with the comment ... I have two to beat up on tonight then! The other gentleman was elderly and had a black eye. Several times he was less than professional, however that is not my issue, other than I was disinclined to discuss much with him, and wrongly chose to wait until I had spoken to my doctor. Since the study, I have become more aware of my breathing which is something I have always assumed to be normal , and noticed that I do not have a regular breathing pattern. When I turn over in bed I hold my breath. When I am awake , and especially when focussed or concentrating, reading quietly or preoccupied I simply stop breathing. It may be mid exhale, inhale, or at any point in.my cycle. YeArs ago I had sarcoidosis which affected my lungs and breathing,, and my liver. During that time i was very confused and unwell, but on reflection, I believe that time is about when my irregular breathing started. The sleep study people have expedited a prescription for a bi pap machine, and as yet I have not had the opportunity to talk to my doctor about this. I do intend to talk to him as soon as he can see me, however, the clinic is not aware of the full picture. What is normal breathing? I used to do a lot of snorkle diving up until i came to Iowa, and obviously, holding ones breath under water is a normal thing. I was in touch with the medical supply house, and was told the basic bi pap machine will cost my insurance, plus my co pay will be $300 per month for ten months. Is this the normal price of such equipment? My real question is this... I sleep in the recovery position to keep my away open, and that works... I do not snore. I do stop breathing, but that is not just in my sleep so: do I need a 24 hour machine? Is there such a thing? Do i need to go back and speak to my doctor before I fill my unaffordable prescription? Any help you might have will be very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Davescave

Machine: Not y
Mask: not yet recieved
Humidifier: not yet recieved
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: I stop breathing day and night, asleep or awake.

Postby greatunclebill » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 am

you clearly need to see your doctor so he can explain to you what you probably misunderstand about your breathing. remember in your cpap journey, to just do it and not over-think things. there is no 24 hour cpap machine because you do not sleep 24/7.

now, as to the cost, you need to get some exact numbers. i'm not clear about the $300 a month. is that the amount you will pay out of pocket or is it the total you and the insurance will pay together? how much will you personally pay out of pocket for 10 months?
greatunclebill

Machine: RP sys one auto w/a-flex model 550P
Mask: quattro fx full face
Humidifier: yes sys one
Year Diagnosed: 1990

Postby Davescave » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:19 am

That is the monthly out of pocket payment which i would be liable for, and it would give a total of $3000 for the 10 month rent to own. On top of that is the tubing, mask, humidifier, and any other items.

Thanks for your reply and I will be seeing my doctor.
Davescave

Postby greatunclebill » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:00 pm

the top of the line phillips respironics automatic system one bi-flex is sold on line for $1100 total cash price brand new in the factory box at a highly respected on-line store. when you get serious about spending the money, give me a pm and i'll send you where you need to go. tell your doctor you are paying 100% out of pocket and would like your prescription for an automatic machine which he knows works better and gives you better data about your treatment. if he is unwilling to write for an automatic, you could get any other doctor or dentist to write the prescription. you want an automatic machine. you probably just don't know it yet.
greatunclebill

Postby Davescave » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Thank you greatunclebill, I was fairly sure i was being ripped off!
Davescave

Postby greatunclebill » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:40 pm

a normal cpap/apap thru my insurance and dme using round numbers would be 1500. insurance would pay 1200 and i would pay 300. like i said, round numbers. it works out to my cost 17 a month for 13 months. biflex would be higher, but i can't image that much higher. your insurance normally sets the contract price regardless of what the dme wants to charge. the dme tells them what they will pay and what you will pay so don't go off on the dme. notice i said nomal and normally. all insurance companies are different.

you can also get gently used auto bi-flex on line in the 7 or 800 range.

the thing about any doctor dentist writing the prescriptions is when you go thru insurance they normally want the machine justified with a sleep study or something from the prescribing doctor. when you go on line, they don't care. if a doctor or dentist writes a prescription, they fill it.
greatunclebill

Postby robysue » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Davescave wrote:Since the study, I have become more aware of my breathing which is something I have always assumed to be normal , and noticed that I do not have a regular breathing pattern. When I turn over in bed I hold my breath. When I am awake , and especially when focussed or concentrating, reading quietly or preoccupied I simply stop breathing. It may be mid exhale, inhale, or at any point in.my cycle.

I'm only a patient. But from what I've read you are describing normal WAKE breathing patterns here. It's not uncommon at all to hold your breath a bit when you are highly focused on something---including turning over in bed. And focusing attention on your own breathing definitely alters the breathing patterns---usually when we are focusing our attention on our breathing, it becomes both slower and deeper, but not always. The fact that paying attention to our own breathing alters its patterns is why nurses distract you (by taking your pulse) when they are measuring your respiration rate by counting your breaths.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby Davescave » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you for your comment. I went for a sleep study as part of a series of tests which have been ongoing since the end of April. Nobody seemed to know what to do with me because my symptoms were so random. My meds were changed and that did help a little, but i am so confused sometimes that i had more or less concluded that i had early onset alzhiemers, which was what i was being tested for when a cardiologist sent me to the sleep clinic. I have no clue about sleep apnia. I did not know what to expect at the sleep clinic, so I am indebted to all of you who have taken the time to read my post and reply. Sincere thanks. I doubt I will have a job to go to when I get out of the other side of this, but that is another issue for another day. Thanks again.
Davescave

Postby Dude » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Holding your breath while turning over seems normal to me. It stiffens your core and makes it easier to move.

$3,000 seems like a ripoff.
Dude

Postby Bons » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Dave,
I join those who are thinking that because of your sarcoidosis history you are panicking needlessly. NEARLY EVERYONE stops breathing while they are exerting themselves, which is why trainers, therapists, etc are constantly reminding their patients to breathe. Once you get your pap, you can almost see the breathing cessation on your data, and they can register as false central apneas, which can cause newbies to get overly concerned: it is normal to stop breathing when turning over, when flipping a pillow, and when falling asleep or changing sleep levels.

My breathing is totally irregular, which is perfectly normal for me. I can sometimes go as long as 30 seconds from finishing an exhalation to beginning an inhalation. My sleep doctor was amazed when he first started looking at my data because my breath rate actually increases while I am asleep, which is very unusual (not a sign of a medical problem, but unusual).

Here's the thing: the more you worry about it, the more you will notice your irregular breathing or pauses in breath, and then you will worry even more. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, as they say.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby Davescave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Hey there Dude and Bons, thanks for your replies. I have an update. I got a Philips Resperonics System One bi pap auto biflex machine on Friday, and am more than delighted to tell you that I am starting to get used to it and it cost much less than what was quoted. I saw my cardiologist today,and he gave me the all clear on all the cardio tests I had been for. It was he who ordered the sleep study. He gave me another month off work, and if we can only figure out what causes the endless tiredness and confusion I will be ready to go back to work.... That will be a happy day. My blood oxygen level had a low of 85% and an average of 92% for the duration of the study, most of which was with a bipap mask on. Was my low, low enough to do damage? I imagine it isn't all that bad. Anyway thanks guys. I shall be reading a lot here during the next month.

Best wishes... Davescave
Davescave

Postby greatunclebill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 pm

if the o2 during the sleep test was low enough to require supplemental o2, you would have probably had it that day or the next. normally insurance pays for an o2 concentrator if the level is below 88 for a certain number of minutes. my guess is that your o2 is fine, based on the doc not ordering o2 or discussing it.
greatunclebill

Postby Bons » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Was your blood oxygen sat in the 80's WITH cpap or during the diagnostic? As long as it was in the 90's while using the cpap they probably won't prescribe oxygen at home.

My kid hit the mid-70's during her diagnostic sleep study. As soon as the insurance company's minimum of 2 hours for diagnosis was reached they woke her up and put a cpap on her.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby Davescave » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 am

I will have to contact the clinic for either a copy of the study or a better explanation, because I honestly do not know what point in the observation my oxygen level went low. Thanks.
Davescave

• Site Supporter