I hate the cpap can't use it!!

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

I hate the cpap can't use it!!

Postby jesscardona » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a yr ago, I have the cpap machine, Ive tried it with different masks, but I just can't get use to it, I can't stand sleeping with that thing on my face!
Now, I'm sleepy all day, very tired, no energy, I'm falling asleep everywhere even when I'm driving I start getting sleepy, I can't deal with this drowsiness all day and everyday..
Did any of you have this problem?
jesscardona

Re: I hate the cpap can't use it!!

Postby 49er » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:16 pm

jesscardona wrote:Hi,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a yr ago, I have the cpap machine, Ive tried it with different masks, but I just can't get use to it, I can't stand sleeping with that thing on my face!
Now, I'm sleepy all day, very tired, no energy, I'm falling asleep everywhere even when I'm driving I start getting sleepy, I can't deal with this drowsiness all day and everyday..

Hi Jess,

Have you tried acclimating to your mask and machine by watching TV or reading?

Regarding masks, some people have to go through several before they find the right one.

It is frustrating but hopefully, we can help you troubleshoot the issues.

49er
49er

Postby rsnik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi,

Yep, same with me. Started last April, have been through numerous masks. Typically the mask hits epic fail (repeated waking up until completely fed up) get up, mess with mask. Can't get back to sleep and just get up at about 4:30 AM for the day. Things were fine before the machine. I may have snored but woke up rested. Now I am an irritable and cranky person who hasn't had a night's sleep in months.

I have concluded that the only way out is to find help at a forum like this. This is my first post.
rsnik

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask: Quattro, FX; Forma; Amara
Humidifier: yes ResMed H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby jrinker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Ok, it's time once again for my plug for the Respironics Fit Life cpap mask. This is the one that looks like an oversized scuba mask. Don't be put off by the kind of intimidating look - it's really quite comfortable and is not as claustrophobic as you might think. Because of the clear face plate, you don't see that much of the mask when it is on, and it is like looking through a (vey close) window.

It also has a very substantial seal, which stands up well to high pressures, and does not tend to shift when the pressures change with bi-pap, asv, etc. And the mask does not have a lot of fiddly little pieces to take apart when you clean it. You can just remove the headgear and dunk the whole thing in the sink. If you want to get picky, you can remove the front nozzle first!

Couple of drawbacks - it curves at the top, which can leak, since most peoples' foreheads do not curve like that. But that is easily dealt with by flexing the mask and securing it with a headband.
Also, since the mask is made in one piece, you can't just buy a new seal when it wears out; you need to replace the entire mask, But again, the seal is quite substantial and does not wear out quickly.

Ok, that's my "mask speech" for the day! I sure wish I got paid for every time I recommend this mask! :-D ( I don't )

Just my 2cents
jrinker
Resmed Vpap Adapt SV Enhanced, Respironics Fit Life total face mask, Forma full face mask.
Complex apnea, original AHI 80
jrinker

Machine: Resmed Adapt SV Enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby Bons » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 pm

There are a few people who love cpap from the first night they try it. My husband is one. He swore he would never use one, but about a year ago his cardiologist insisted on it. Hubby came home from his titration study saying he'd slept better than he had in years, and never even takes a 30 minute nap without it. I HATED HIM FOR ADAPTING SO WELL :-D

The rest of us need adapting time. It took me months of frustration and exhaustion to learn to sleep with my ASV (cpap and bipap weren't so bad, but ASV was awful).

IT CAN BE DONE!! But it takes a lot of determination. And reminders that your life may depend upon it - and others' as well, if you are falling asleep with driving. Rsnik - you say that you sleep better without it, and that might be true short-term, anyway. But in the long term, untreated sleep apnea can and does lead to kidney failure, heart attacks and strokes. You are NOT better off without it.

Like 49er says, bring the cpap out into your living room/family room. This takes away the whole "gotta fall asleep" stress. Put it on and listen to music or watch tv (depending on what syle mask you have). Get used to the machine and then take it to bed (kind like dating :oops: ). When you go to bed with it, practice self-relaxation techniques: pray if you are a believer, or meditate or repeat a mantra, or concentrate on deep breathing.

What pressure and humidity and expiration relief settings are you using? Perhaps we can give you additional hints if we have that information.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby pamsyflower1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Yes...sometimes people can get something called CPAP insomnia, or sleeplessness caused by arousals relating to their xPAP or ASV. This is entirely different than the arousals caused by sleep apnea - but the end effect is the same, as one could conclude from the answers to your post. You must ask yourself a particular question, which is "why do I not like this?" Write as many answers to this question as you possibly can and list them according to what is the most annoying, down to what is the least annoying...but be sure that you list them all. You may have physiologic objections...write them down. You may have psychological objections..But you must find out the reason why you hate this treatment. Then study your list, from the top. Is something that you wrote there something that you can address? This is important. It's all related to the process of not giving up on your treatment. I think all of us, at one time or another, have been so frustrated with our treatment that we have just wanted to pick up our machines and through them right out the window. Incidentally, it is easier to do that than it is to think...especially when you are so doggone tired. But, you will be glad that you really thought about this! Take a look at your data, if you can. Is your treatment helping you? Do you have reduced apneas because of it? Less than 5 per hour? Check it out or, if you are not able to do that, have your sleep doc check it out. Tell him/her that you don't think your treatment is helping you and why you feel that way. Make sure that your sleep doc is one who wants to investigate your complaint and is motivated to help you. If he/she isn't, then don't settle for it and keep on searching until you find one who is.
Now I will tell you a secret...one that I am not proud of. I waited for two years, enduring signs of severe sleep apnea before I finally threw down the gauntlet and saw my doctor about it. I put my husband through very needless hell on account of this. I didn't want to see my doctor because I knew that he would prescribe CPAP for me and a CPAP mask was the last thing in the world I was ever going to allow to touch my face! I couldn't think of anything more unattractive and unsexy than that. This forum helped me to understand what I was doing to my body while going untreated for my severe apnea and also helped me, incredibly, to find comfort solutions for my many discomforts with my mask, one at a time. It helped me to begin to think of my mask and machine as my friends...my helpers. I named them...meet Chuck and Shirley Breathe-Rite and began to have fun with it all. Did you know that our minds can turn even the nastiest experience into a sleigh ride? Address your issues and don't let go until they are all addressed, one by one. Please don't hate me. I am only 2 weeks in with my auto CPAP and Quattro Fx mask and I'm loving this! It was pretty trying for the first week, though. I know that I will have more issues as time goes by, but I will just have to keep on keeping on. I would like to see my beautiful grandsons grow up. Take care.
pamsyflower1

Machine: Respironics System One Auto A flex
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX For Her Medium
Humidifier: heated humidifier

Postby Xney » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:30 am

First of all, please don't drive when you're falling asleep! Very dangerous!

It's a struggle for many of us to get used to it. It's very important to find the right setup, especially the mask, and then making the small changes to getting it right and getting it used to it. It took me a year to do it, but I did do it. If you have particular questions, please post them. :)
Xney

Postby themonk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:36 am

Why would you not explore other treatment options? If PAP isn't working for you and you have really tried, talk with your doc, ENT, and/or sleep dentist about other options. PAP is not the best choice for every person and you shouldn't be made to feel like a failure if it doesn't work for you. PLENTY of people are getting effective treatment through the various other options and there is peer-reviewed research to prove it.

Granted I don't know your specifics so it is hard to give specific suggestions. Just know there are a wide range of very effective treatments - from simple like positional therapy to very involved like maxilomandibular advancement.

Your choice, but if PAP were impacting my life so negatively, I'd move on and find something that works. The 'gold standard' doesn't mean a thing if it doesn't work for you. It is worth a chat with the doc to see what other options are out there for you based on whatever is causing your breathing issues. A good ENT or dentist should be able to give you a pretty good idea of what is causing your apnea and a range of options to treat it that don't involve PAP.
themonk

Postby blueh2o » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm with themonk. I'd certainly give CPAP months of effort, probably 6-8 months, but if it ain't working than move on. I'm on to an oral appliance after 16 months of CPAP. I also agree with Pamsy regarding the insomnia. That's my latest focus. Anything to wake up refreshed some day.
blueh2o

Machine: Resmed CPAP S9
Mask: Quattro Fx Full Face Mask
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Zandlo1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:14 am

Im new to this forum but wanted to add my two cents. I hate the CPAP as well. Been experimenting with different oral appliances and came across one I started using a week or so ago called ProSnore 2. Its a dental devise. It does not push the lower jaw forward like others say these oral things do . Instead it just keep your lower jaw from falling backward in your sleep and otherwise cutting off your airway. Its about $140 but in my opinion worth its weight in gold. Have been getting a great night sleep all week with no snoring and no Apnea at all. You can find it online to get more info if interested.
Zandlo1

Postby aeepslapnea » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:40 am

It sounds very much like you're your own problem there. Hate it on your face? Stop caring. Seriously. The therapy works. The alternatives are the mouthpieces which work in some cases, but then you'd be complaining about something in your mouth. You could also get surgery, but there are risks and it might not work and could possibly make things worse or lead to other problems.

Your CPAP isn't causing you to be tired. Your apnea is.

Are you your ideal body weight? if not, things are greatly improved for most people by just losing weight.
aeepslapnea

Machine: Brand
Mask: Mask
Humidifier: Humid
Year Diagnosed: 141

Postby robm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:32 pm

I get it. I have had mine about the same with the same problems. The "sleep doctor" says I sleep sooo much better when I use the machine, but I disagree. Every since I started using the machine I have been more tired than ever because I only sleep about 3-4 hrs a night with it on. It constantly wakes me up either because the mask has shifted and is leaking, or the hose gets wrapped around me, or I roll over and the mask smashes my nose! I don't blame you for hating it! It seems it's just more of the medical community selling us the new product out there.
robm

Postby FrankieNice » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:38 pm

Hey Jess. I'm a newbie at this Game. Got my Top Gun mask about a month ago. Still not hip to the skip with this thing, but trying to stay vigilant. Hit me up if you would like to vent.
FrankieNice

Postby tlohse » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:34 am

I understand where your coming from and how you feel about it but it does work and it often takes a bit of time to get the hang of using it. I found out about my apnea at the end of may 2013 and was put on CPAP in June 2013 and it really changed how i sleep I feel happier and more rested each morning I wake up. They are a pain though until you get the hang of using it but I would say keep trying and don't give up you will be much better off with it then with out it expecilly if your a really bad apnea like I was. good luck to you.
Thomas
Official Member of the Hoseheads June 2013
Pressure: 10cmH20
CPAP: Phillips Respironics System One Remstar Pro Cflex+ AutoIQ 450p Has Humidifer
Mask: Resmed Mirage Fx Nasal with Softedge Headgear
DX: Severe Sleep Apnea with Hypersomnia
tlohse

Postby Sleepytime » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:39 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't dental appliances work only if your sleep apnea is light to moderate? I've also heard that in lots of cases surgery is considered successful if your sleep apnea is reduced by a certain percentage, 50, I think. So you could still have SA.

My experience with CPAP was very subtle. I wasn't one of the people who had success from the beginning. I still get sleepy sometimes, too, but I wouldn't give up this machine for anything. There have even been times when I don't want to wear it, and I'm reminded of just how tired and irritable I was before I got it.
Sleepytime

Next

• Site Supporter