I feel like the mask is aging my skin, HELP!

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

I feel like the mask is aging my skin, HELP!

Postby lulu329 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:13 pm

I am a 56 year old woman who has been diagnosed since 2009. I just had another study and found that my equipment needed to be reset to a higher number. Of course, I wanted to hear that I did not need it at all, LOL!

Anyway I have a Quantro FX and I am in between a small and medium sized mask. I have a small nose so I have to strap it on and I feel myself looking worse and worse. Any solutions ?
I was my face at night and use moisterizer, but it doesn't seem to be enough.Its like the weight of the mask is pulling my skin down. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
lulu329

Machine: ResMed
Mask: Quattro FX
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Re: I feel like the mask is aging my skin, HELP!

Postby Emailyv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Did your skin age only in the places where the mask sits?
Emailyv

Machine: ResMed Elite S9
Mask: Mirage FX Hers small
Humidifier: Yes/ and ResMed/H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby lulu329 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:08 pm

sort of...well, we all know aging happens, but I never had a double set of parentheses before, so yes, around my eyes and it seems to tug at that skin. Is there a special moisterizer or something?
lulu329

Postby Laura3 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:25 pm

I've always been pretty fanatical about keeping my face moisturized, pre and post CPAP. I use Clinique dramatically different moisturing lotion first and then I apply Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer over that. The Superdefense locks-in the "dramatically different" moisturizer. Not to brag, but I look younger than what I am. But on the downside, I recently read online a published scientific article stating that long-term hypoxia due to sleep apnea actually causes the aging process to slow (I believe it was the skin aging process). I was quite shocked at that, but there's nothing I can do about that now. I would much rather look my age or look older than I do than to have suffered any kind of brain damage I may have incurred from longterm sleep apnea.
Laura3

Machine: PR Series 60 System One Auto
Mask: Pilairo Nasal Mask
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Emailyv » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:49 pm

It does cause the skin to age. I watched it first hand!
Upper airway resistance syndrome/ResMed S9 Elite/H5i humidifier/Mirage Fx for her small/Climate hose. Problems began in 2009. UARS is under/mis diagnosed because the medical community does not all agree what it is or is not! Check out wikipedia.
Emailyv

Machine: ResMed Elite S9
Mask: Mirage FX Hers small
Humidifier: Yes/ and ResMed/H5i

Postby lulu329 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:18 pm

I am trying a a skin care system my dermatologist recommended and will report in. Also, I am talking to a friend of mine that owns a dive shop. Dive Masks and cpap masks are similiar, maybe there is something there.

Its my goal to try and solve this, because it really can ruin your skin and more and more women are getting diagnosed.
Why the sleep center practices don't at least have blogs about this is beyond me. It could be a huge marketing opp if they at least offer some suggestions.

I woke up today and I look like a prize fighter. dark circles where the mak hits and indents under that, one side worse than the other because I sleep on my left.
lulu329

Postby locust78 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 am

Although I don't use it myself, a friend of mine on CPAP uses and claims to be getting good results from cocoa butter (the pure kind, not just a derivative).
locust78

Machine: Philips System One
Mask: Swift LT
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby robysue » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:33 pm

lulu329 wrote:I
Its my goal to try and solve this, because it really can ruin your skin and more and more women are getting diagnosed.
Why the sleep center practices don't at least have blogs about this is beyond me. It could be a huge marketing opp if they at least offer some suggestions.
Heck it would be useful if sleep centers provided any kind of meaningful support. Like how to deal with aerophagia, insomnia, mask leaks. Like why you need to insist on a full efficacy data machine and how to interpret the data. Like how to become and stay compliant even if you don't feel better in the short run.

I woke up today and I look like a prize fighter. dark circles where the mak hits and indents under that, one side worse than the other because I sleep on my left.
It sounds to me like your mask headgear and straps are WAY too tight. A few marks on the face aren't uncommon---but waking up looking like a prize fighter with dark circles under the eyes should NOT be happening. You might want to try a mask liner--that may allow you to loosen the headgear and still maintain a seal. Quality mask liners are sold by companies like Padacheek and Remzzz. Google them and you'll find some links. Or make your own by cutting up a soft, worn 100% cotton t-shirt. Cut the mask liner a bit bigger than the mask cushion and then cut a hole in the middle for your nose to poke through.

But if you can't seem to wear your current mask without tightening it so tight that it causes indentations and dark circles under your eyes, then this most likely NOT the mask for you. Try some other masks. Keep trying masks until you find one that works.

Dark circles under the eyes can also be caused by other things such as severe allergies and simply not enough sleep in the first place.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby lulu329 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:19 pm

thank you for just confirming that the dark circles are not right, that's good info. I do have a mask with a forehead bar, maybe I should go back to that again. And yes, I do get congested sometimes on one side or another, thankfully not both. I will check out Padacheek and Remzzz.

Last night I guess I just took the mask off. I don't remember doing it but I woke up with it in my hand. Of course with a headache.

ugh, this is so not easy.
lulu329

Postby painternc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:52 pm

I agree that the mask affects your skin - actually the fullness of your face. Just like if you wear glasses all day for a long period of time you get permanent indentions on the sides of your nose - I believe the straps across my cheeks have flattened them. I have been trying provent http://www.proventtherapy.com/index.php for a couple of weeks. Haven't gotten used to it yet - so don't know. It works in the opposite way to the machines - but not straps or masks, etc. Here is hoping.
painternc

Postby hegel123 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:54 pm

I feel like I struck gold with Swift fx nasal pillows. The first nasal pillow brand that I tried didn't work. All of my face masks had some leakage and caused bags under my eyes. For me, nasal pillows THAT WORK have been a real blessing and have ended facial skin issues. Perhaps worth a try? Otherwise, as we all know, keep exploring new options until something works! It took me 6-7 months to finally dial in the right mask for me. P.S. I kept going back to Kaiser sleep center for help and they were terrific! And they didn't have the Swift the first two times!
hegel123

Postby seajay515 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 pm

How do you use lotions and creams and not have your mask leak!
ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt MASK: ResMed Ultra Mirage FFM small
EPAP: 10 IPAP: 15-25 PS: 5.0/ 15.0
ResMed H51 Humidifier
Oxygen Conc. set at 3.0
SPO PulseOx 7500
DATA: Rescan and SleepyHead

AHI=101. Severe Complex Central Sleep Apnea
June, 2008
seajay515

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask: Resmed Ultra Mirage Small
Humidifier: ResMed H5l
Year Diagnosed: 2008

Postby zephyr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:56 pm

I second the Resmed swift ...nasal pillow mask. I just added a chin strap to keep my mouth closed when I'm asleep.
Resmed S9 Elite / Humidaire H5i Heated Humidifier
Swift LT nasal Pillow mask
diagnosed Sept 2010
zephyr

Postby LauraNeedsSleep » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 am

The mask has definitely aged my skin plus it has caused me to have severe dry eye. I will be very interested to here back from the person who is trying the Provent Therapy. No matter which mask or nasal pillow I try I get a great deal of leakage. My skin around my eyes in particular is very saggy and swollen - makes me look 10 years older than when I started CPAP.
LauraNeedsSleep

Machine: Remstar Auto A Flex M series
Mask: several different kinds

Postby SolSionnach » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 pm

I've experienced the same thing - my face changes when I use my FFM. I'm also between a S and M Quattro FFM, settled on the larger one.
I use the padacheek mask liner because the plastic FFM pillow caused me to have contact dermatitis.
It's really hard for me to adjust that mask to fit properly, because if it's looser I get leaking at my eyes. :( and that bloody silicone nose thing that they gave me to help with that doesn't work with the padacheek.

I recently moved to pillows, in part because I was so unhappy with the way my face was changing with the FFM. I'm almost 55, and definitely aging, but since I've used CPAP the bags under my eyes are much worse, and the tissue compression on my cheeks was making my face sag. I'm hoping the pillows will help with that.

On the other hand, I feel SO MUCH BETTER (!!!) with CPAP that aging a bit doesn't freak me out. I *act* younger now!
Good luck!
SolSionnach

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset Escape
Mask: Resmed Swift FX for her
Humidifier: Resmed H5i

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions