Hypnotics (Ambien/Lunesta) and CPAP?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Hypnotics (Ambien/Lunesta) and CPAP?

Postby cowboy1964 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:52 am

Who uses them together? My GP stressed the point that it is dangerous to take hypnotics if you have OSA issues and aren't on CPAP since you may not arouse to resume breathing if you have apnea events. My UARS or REM-dependent OSA is not that severe (I only had 2 obstructive events during 5.75 hours of sleep) (I have no O2 desaturation) and I see her point but are these hypnotics THAT powerful??
cowboy1964

Postby jrgood27 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:03 pm

I think the jury is still out on whether it's bad for apnea to take them. My sleep doc said it was fine to take lunesta to help me tolerate the CPAP. I've also taken it without CPAP because like you I don't have desats. Jenny
jrgood27

Postby lynn543 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:42 pm

I often took powerful sleeping pills before my apnea was diagnosed and lived thru it

I see no problems with strong sleeping pills to help tollerate a CPAP as it will compensaste for any increase in the apnea
lynn543

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:44 pm

Yup sleep meds increase apnea events, so does alcohol.

It is dissapointing to see an exellent product used in the same sentence with the snake oil foisted on trusting patients.

Ambien is an exellent product, does its thing well and gets out of your system quickly. Next to zip for side effects. 6 mg is an adequate dose for initial. Take it when you go to bed not before. Sometimes the other 4 is well timed at the 2-3 wakeup, depending what time one actually gets up. Don't take it if you don't need it. This was somewhat addressed with the new Constant Release version (12mg), I prefer the original. Come on generics...

Lunesta is from the land of strange. Just because the high dollar pushers get it into your Dr's office and on TV doesn't mean its any good. LOTS of complaints about Lunesta on the internet. Please ask your prescriber if they have personnaly used it, and let us know the outcome.

Postby CarlRPSGT » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:46 am

I'm with you on that one, Guest... My wife has been on Ambien (original) for quite some time now. We thought it would be better for her to get on something designed for long term use and that should last through the entire night. Much to our disliking, the "extended release" or "constant release" as they call it does not seem to give enough KICK for her to get into and maintain sleep early in the night, therefore the rest of the night seems a waste. So we put her back on the original Ambien.... and YES.... come on generic!!!
Happy CPAP'ing
CarlRPSGT

Postby cowboy1964 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:04 am

I know someone that tried both Ambiem and Ambiem CR and didn't like CR. As far as Lunesta goes, I haven't heard complaints. It's apparently better for long-term use than Ambien.

The only thing I've personally used is Rozerem. It does absolutely nothing for me. OTC diphenhydramine works way better than Rozerem does, for me anyway. I think Takeda has a real loser on their hands with Rozerem. And their ads stink (a talking Beaver? wth?)
cowboy1964

Postby anton » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:01 am

Rozerem is the only sleeping pill that is not addictive (melatonin).
All other sleeping pills including Lunesta, Ambien, are all addictive and not intended for long term use: Benadryl is also non addictive and used mainly for allergy symptoms.
anton

Postby jarichon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 am

Is anyone taking Ambien while on CPAP? Before my sleep dx was final my psychiatrist prescribed me 10mg Ambiem at bedtime. I didn't fill the prescription, then got my results from the sleep clinic (SEVERE OSP). I've been on CPAP about two weeks now (set at 15) and having a hard time getting to sleep. P-doc says Ambien and CPAP are compatible but I'm not so sure I like the idea. Can anyone share their experience with me? And yes, I know, Ambien cannot be taken for a long period of time.
Last edited by jarichon on Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
jarichon

Postby ShellyB » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 am

My dr prescribed a sleeping pill to help me get used to my bipap machine.

I think it is the generic for Ambien. It's Zolpidem. It was cheap and it works.
ShellyB

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am

jarichon,

May help you adjust a little..but it is more important to figure out why you are having issues. Many people have to work out quirks in their therapy. Fixing the root cause will help the most. Lots of info on the ASAA forums that can help you determine what exactly the issue is..and how to possibly correct that issue.

Tami
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby SleepyBobR » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Be very careful with any of the prescription hypnotics (Z-drugs and Benzos). They are brutally addictive and, for many people, tolerance develops quickly leading to increased dosage to get satisfactory results. Because of the short half-life, inter-dose withdrawal can be a problem and, when the time comes to get off these things, the withdrawal symptoms including intractable rebound insomnia can be horrible and last for months. I know some people can use them for extended periods without apparent problems but don't assume that you will be able to as well. Many people have been caught in this trap. There is a reason that the makers of these drugs state clearly that they are for short term (2 weeks) use only.

Beware.
SleepyBobR

Postby sleepyinbama » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:38 pm

I have been taking Ambien on a nightly basis for about a year, and haven't had any problems. Because I hate to lay in bed awake, I do take it about 30 minutes before I hit the sack. The only problem with that is that I often don't remember actually washing my face and brushing my teeth (which is the last thing I do before I crawl in bed), when I know I have. My PC doctor, whom I've used for many years and I trust, doesn't see any problem with my taking it. Now, before I was diagnosed with OSA, I didn't recognize my acute "laziness" with sleep deprivation because with the Ambien I was sleeping 8-10 hours a night, and never wanted to get out of bed. Now with CPAP, I wake up after 7-8 hours, and I'm good to go.
Respironics Remstar Auto A-flex with System One Humidifier, Pressure 13
Opus Nasal Pillows Mask

Severe Sleep Apnea, AHI 102.8, Untreated O2 Sat. 78%
Diagnosed 8/2010

Wetumpka, AL (About 10 Miles North of Montgomery)
Roll Tide!!
sleepyinbama

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!