Husband says I still snore with CPAP... is that normal?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Husband says I still snore with CPAP... is that normal?

Postby Dolphy » Tue May 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and new to using a CPAP. I just got my CPAP last Friday. I have been using it all night and it seems to help with a couple of things already. I noticed my sinuses are not so plugged up anymore. And I am sleeping through the night now. My husband said this morning, that I am still snoring though using the CPAP. He uses the CPAP and he doesnt snore anymore. He only uses a nasal mask. I have the full face mask. My question is really.. should my pressure be raised up because I still snore? My setting is 10.
Dolphy

Postby Janknitz » Tue May 17, 2011 6:55 pm

You really shouldn't be snoring with CPAP--that's one of the things it's supposed to prevent.

Can you tell us what machine and model you have? The most important things are to 1) note how you feel and 2) look at your data (hopefully you have a data capable machine) to see if it's helping or not.

In either case, you should let your sleep doctor know you are still snoring, and they also need to look at your data to see if the pressure is adequate for your needs. It sounds like it may not be, but you should not go changing the pressure blindly on your own.
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

Postby Bons » Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm still snoring, possibly due to my allergies. My daughter could hear me a room away, and once in a great while I still wake myself up snoring. AHI is still around 5. My vibratory snore rate is in the mid20's. The sleep doc is refering me to an ENT to check things out.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby CraigB » Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 pm

I still snore loudly. Although I think it may be up in my nose instead of down in my throat.
Resmed S9 Elite
H5i Humidifier
Swift FX Nasal pillows
CraigB

Postby White Beard » Fri May 20, 2011 1:49 am

Dolphy I think I would be contacting my sleep doctor about it, as I really don't think you should still be snoring like that. Maybe they did not get your setting quit right, is your mask leaking around the edges at all? You might just want to give your sleep doctor a call and tell him/her that your husband says that you are still snoring, does your husband say your are snoring hard and very loud? are you gasping at all for air with your mask on, tell your doctor all the information that you can about it. I do wish you well and hope you can get this resolved soon. Good Luck to you.............White Beard
White Beard with a White Beard
Resmed VPAP Adapt SV Enhanced, HumidAire 2i, ResLink with Model 8000 Flex sensor Pulse Oximeter, and ResScan 3.5 software. Respironic EverFlo OPI Oxygen Concentrator 3 lpm
EEP 14.0, min PS 14.0, max PS 24.0, FitLife Mask
White Beard

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt SV enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: yes ResMed HumidAire 2iC
Year Diagnosed: 2007

Postby Dolphy » Mon May 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. I decided to give it a few nights to see what my hubby said. He said I very rarely snore and it isnt very long. Mostly if I end up on my back. But He tells me most nights I do not snore. So it isnt a regular basis. My Sleep Dr. said if it isnt on a regular basis, it should get better with time and will end up without snoring at all. Janknitz, Sorry I have been busy and I have to get all the info for you about my cpap stilll. I dont have a data capable machine. The only info it keeps for me is how many hours I have used it. Can I request a data capable machine? I must say though, I am sleepiing much better and I actually wake up with clear sinuses!! That is something I havent woken up to in years. I have allergies year round and sinus trouble. So it is such a great relief to wake up to clear sinuses everyday. Not to mention, I also do not wake up to headaches anymore too!
Dolphy

Postby Bons » Mon May 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Dolphy wrote:Thank you everyone for your responses. I decided to give it a few nights to see what my hubby said. He said I very rarely snore and it isnt very long. Mostly if I end up on my back. But He tells me most nights I do not snore. So it isnt a regular basis. My Sleep Dr. said if it isnt on a regular basis, it should get better with time and will end up without snoring at all. Janknitz, Sorry I have been busy and I have to get all the info for you about my cpap stilll. I dont have a data capable machine. The only info it keeps for me is how many hours I have used it. Can I request a data capable machine? I must say though, I am sleepiing much better and I actually wake up with clear sinuses!! That is something I havent woken up to in years. I have allergies year round and sinus trouble. So it is such a great relief to wake up to clear sinuses everyday. Not to mention, I also do not wake up to headaches anymore too!

You have 30 days after purchase to exchange a machine; you might be able to switch now if it's a rental. Call your doctor immediately and tell him you'd like to switch machines.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby Dolphy » Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Ok.. thank you. I will call them tomorrow then to see if I can switch machines.
Phillips Respironics Remstar (with Ramp) with Remstar heated humidifier, System One. My setting is 10.
Dolphy

Postby Dolphy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 pm

I called this morning to see about getting a data capable CPAP. They said mine is data capable. But they do not have software for patients. If I wanted information off the smart card, I could take the card into them and they could download the information for me. I am only able to see the usage data on my machine. The question is, is there any software out there that I can buy for the CPAP I own. The machine I own is in my signature.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Phillips Respironics Remstar (with Ramp) with Remstar heated humidifier, System One. My setting is 10.
Dolphy

Postby SleepyToo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Absolutely, you can buy the Respironics Encore Viewer software (make sure it is version 2) from any online cpap provider - you don't need a prescription - for around $100. You will need a card reader, but you can buy one at your local electronics store. It is an industry-standard reader that reads from cards used in digital cameras, etc. Don't let the provider sell you a package - it will either be the wrong reader, or it will be very much more expensive than it needs to be.

Depending on the computer you have, you may have some challenges - the software doesn't run on Mac's, and there is no support for installing on 64-bit Windows (or any other operating system). If you have a 64-bit PC you can install it with a little finagling - do a search on this forum for instructions.
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Diagnosed September 2009, Respironics System One w/ C-flex and humidifier
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes, integral with PRS1
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Re: Husband says I still snore with CPAP... is that normal?

Postby dareljonathan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Dolphy wrote:Thank you everyone for your responses. I decided to give it a few nights to see what my hubby said. He said I very rarely snore and it isnt very long. Mostly if I end up on my back. But He tells me most nights I do not snore. So it isnt a regular basis. My Sleep Dr. said if it isnt on a regular basis, it should get better with time and will end up without snoring at all. Janknitz, Sorry I have been busy and I have to get all the info for you about my cpap stilll. I dont have a data capable machine. The only info it keeps for me is how many hours I have used it. Can I request a data capable machine? I must say though, I am sleepiing much better and I actually wake up with clear sinuses!! That is something I havent woken up to in years. I have allergies year round and sinus trouble. So it is such a great relief to wake up to clear sinuses everyday. Not to mention, I also do not wake up to headaches anymore too!

Hey Dolphy,

I have to admit I do not posses vast experience with CPAP, but with sleeping on my back - I certainly do. As you may already know, this is the worst sleeping posture for us (took me months to get rid of it), since snoring is almost guaranteed in that position. One thing I would like to recommend you to try is to sew a tennis ball or similar round object on the back of your sleeping dress or t-shirt you use to sleep in. This will prevent you from sleeping on your back for sure! Let me know if you are happy with results, if you decide to try it!
dareljonathan

• Site Supporter