• Site Supporter

How to keep one's mouth closed while using an oral appliance

This forum is for the discussion of approved dental devices.

How to keep one's mouth closed while using an oral appliance

Postby dgolann » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to the oral appliance and I'm trying to figure out how to keep my mouth closed to promote better nasal breathing. My doctor tried rubber bands, but I found these very uncomfortable ( I turned to the oral appliance for the promise of greater comfort). I've tried taping my mouth and using a chin strap, but I seem to rip these off during the night and have no memory of doing it when I wake up the next day.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David
dgolann

mouth closed

Postby Ranita » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi,
I use (not trying to advertise but is what works for me) the respironics premium chin strap. I use it as vertical as posible,that is going around above my forehead and right beneath my chin, and as anything it's a matter of getting used to it. I use the chin part underneath my chin instead of the way it's advertised, which prevents jaw pain. As for the doctor suggesting rubber bands, I will restrain myself and just say AUGHHHHH ( blame my temper on the apnea, at least I can do that, he he). I use nasal pillows but my dad uses nasal mask and it works for him too.
take care, good luck, we all need it,
Ranita
like I'm 50 now
Moderate OSA
Resistance was futile from: July 17, 2009
Remstar Auto M Series with humidifier
Mirage Swift LT nasal pillows
papcap
EncoreViewer2
Ranita

Re: How to keep one's mouth closed while using an oral appli

Postby benny401 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am

dgolann wrote:Hi everyone,

I am new to the oral appliance and I'm trying to figure out how to keep my mouth closed to promote better nasal breathing. My doctor tried rubber bands, but I found these very uncomfortable ( I turned to the oral appliance for the promise of greater comfort). I've tried taping my mouth and using a chin strap, but I seem to rip these off during the night and have no memory of doing it when I wake up the next day.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

in case if ordinary chin strap is not working for you then i think you should buy a good quality strap.in case if you are treated with apnea then try full face mask,that helps to keep your mouth close :) while you are sleeping and facilitates smooth airflow
benny401

how to keep your mouth closed with oral appliance

Postby a.b.luisi,d.m.d. » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I am a dentist working in dental sleep medicine. I agree that there is some research showing that oral appliances which allow wide mouth opening are less effective for some patients. The great thing about the TAP3 TL is that it does not allow the mouth to fall open during sleep. Unfortunately, a few patients can not tolerate that little movement and I have to use an appliance that allows more. We just hope it does not decrease the efficiency of the appliance too much. [Moderated]
a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

• Site Supporter

Return to Sleep Apnea Oral Appliance discussion