• Site Supporter

How to get a quiet machine...

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

How to get a quiet machine...

Postby Newbis » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:47 am

I was just fitted for a CPAP machine. The one they had me using made a huge amount of noise. It amplifies my breathing so it can be heard a mile away (may be Bipap). I've read online statements such as "most of the newer models of CPAP are quiet." I wonder if when the CPAP machine is ready, they'll be giving me a noisy one, even though much much quieter ones are available. Any suggestions?
Newbis

Postby MandoJohnny » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:51 am

I only have experience with one model and I am no expert, but I have read the opposite about new machines. I have read opinions from long-time users that some of the larger, older machines were quieter than the new ones, because the bigger machines had more sound insulation. I have a ResMed S8 that recently had to be replaced due to a malfunction. The first machine was reasonably quiet. The mask actually made more noise than the machine. My wife said she was able to get used to the sound pretty quickly and she is very noise-adverse. The interesting thing is that the replacement machine, even though it is the same model, is noticably quieter than the first machine. So the first machine may have been defective all along, I don't know.

I can't imagine any machine is quiet enough not to take some getting used to, though. You'd be surprised what you can get used to. When I was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier, by bunk was just below the flight deck, right under a jet blast deflector. When planes were turning up, my roomate and I could shout out loud, but still not be able to hear each other. We slept through that routinely and no, I do not have any hearing loss.
MandoJohnny

Postby Newbis » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Actually, maybe I'm hearing the mask, or the air going through the tube. Is that level of noise pretty much a given for all CPAP machines? Will my wife hear it as loudly as I do, or will it sound softer since it's not attached to her head? Any tips on how to get more used to it?
Newbis

Postby Bearded One » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:20 pm

I have found that there are two different sources of noise from CPAP machine, noise can come through the cabinet/case and the noise can come from the air outlet.

I have Puritan Bennett CPAP that I bought for travel that makes virtually no noise if the air outlet is covered -- very little noise comes through the case. It is a totally different story when the outlet is uncovered, it is VERY noisy. I use both Swift nasal pillows and a Fisher Paykel nasal mask. When I use the Swift with the Puritan Bennet CPAP the machine noise coming out of the exhaust is extremely loud. When I use the nasal mask with the Puritan Bennett CPAP, the noise from the exhaust is not as bad but it is still loud.

My home CPAP machine is a Fisher Paykel HC233, which is very quiet, the home furnace is louder than the CPAP machine when used with either the Swift or the nasal mask.
Bearded One

Postby Bearded One » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Newbis wrote:Actually, maybe I'm hearing the mask, or the air going through the tube. Is that level of noise pretty much a given for all CPAP machines?

I hear no noise from my masks when I am using my Fisher and Paykel CPAP machine.

Will my wife hear it as loudly as I do, or will it sound softer since it's not attached to her head? Any tips on how to get more used to it?

My partner complained of the noise coming from my masks when I was using my Puritan Bennett CPAP. My tip is to get a quieter CPAP machine.
Bearded One

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions