how to disinfect cpap

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

how to disinfect cpap

Postby turk » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:41 am

what is a good way to disinfect the cpap machine after weeks of usage?
turk

Postby KathlynMarie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:09 am

I see you didn't receive a reply. I would also like to know how people disinfect their mask, etc.
diagnoses with osa in 1997.
KathlynMarie

Re: how to disinfect cpap

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:01 am

turk wrote:what is a good way to disinfect the cpap machine after weeks of usage?

Hi,

I don't think that disinfectant is good for any mask, possibly with the exception of the plastic frame. The silicone or gel parts which are in contact with the skin do not react well to such substances.

Manufacturers instructions usually advise to wash out the mask in luke warm water daily (I think) with a proper wash in soapy water and luke warm water weekly. I don't think that disinfectant is required if you follow the manufacturers instructions, after all the mask is only used by one person.

Daniel
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby KathlynMarie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:33 am

The person who set my machine also said that I did not need to sterilize the mask, or any part of my machine for that matter....just use warm soapy water. I do put vinegar and water in my water container for the humidifier. Not every time I wash it though. Even though I use distilled water, it still looks like it gets lime in it. And I have no recipe for it, I just use a small amount of vinegar to a full container of water and then wash with liquid detergent and rinse really well. It's not necessary from what he said. I'm glad you mentioned that about the mask, Daniel. I hadn't thought about that at all. I'm learning so much here! And I'm glad other people are asking all the questions I have had for such a long time.
KathlynMarie

Postby Daniel » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:08 pm

KathlynMarie wrote:The person who set my machine also said that I did not need to sterilize the mask, or any part of my machine for that matter....just use warm soapy water. I do put vinegar and water in my water container for the humidifier. Not every time I wash it though. Even though I use distilled water, it still looks like it gets lime in it. And I have no recipe for it, I just use a small amount of vinegar to a full container of water and then wash with liquid detergent and rinse really well. It's not necessary from what he said. I'm glad you mentioned that about the mask, Daniel. I hadn't thought about that at all. I'm learning so much here! And I'm glad other people are asking all the questions I have had for such a long time.

Hi,

I think you should ask your supplier about putting vinegar in the water chamber for the humidifier. It would be OK for cleaning it, but if it is mixed with your distilled water you will be constantly inhaling the fumes. Some years ago I spoke to a DME supplier who advised against any additives in the water chamber, particularly aromatherapy oils. He was of the opinion that such additives were not desgned for constant inhalation, no matter how well diluted.

Thankfully I don't need to use a humidifier, but I know plenty who do and most say that even with distilled water a 'scum' does develop and needs to be cleaned to stop a build up. Good success is reported in placing the metal base of the chamber in the dishwasher for cleaning. I think it's a case of whatever works.

Funny, once diagnosed you are inclined to feel alone and are afraid to ask questions in case others think you are strange, however I can safely say that the questions being asked on this forum are no different to those being asked on similar forums and helplines. It's also nice to see that the answers and suggestions are as helpful and kind as they have always been.

Kind regards,

Daniel.
Daniel

Postby KathlynMarie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:48 pm

I don't put vinegar in the chamber when I'm using it. Only to clean it. Sorry I was not very clear about that. I agree it would not be good to use it that way. I'd probably pass out from the fumes for sure, lol. I am so grateful for finding this board. Too bad I hadn't when I first was diagnosed several years ago. But glad it's here now.
KathlynMarie

cleaning

Postby merlin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:58 pm

My DME told me to rinse all hoses, the mask and the humidifier chamber with white vinegar every week. I was also told to rinse the filter to the machine in warm, soapy water once a month. I use the Breeze with nasal pillows and I rinse them in soapy water every morning.
merlin

Re: cleaning

Postby Daniel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:06 pm

merlin wrote:My DME told me to rinse all hoses, the mask and the humidifier chamber with white vinegar every week. I was also told to rinse the filter to the machine in warm, soapy water once a month. I use the Breeze with nasal pillows and I rinse them in soapy water every morning.

Merlin,

I can understand the humidifier chamber being cleaned with vinegar, but certainly not the mask and hose. Vinegar is an acid.

I would be very careful of such instructions. CPAP manufacturers certainly don't issue such instructions.

Daniel
Daniel

cleaning

Postby merlin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:55 am

I just spoke with Technical Support at Puritan Bennett (the maker of my equipment) and they say that a solution of 10% white vinegar and 90% water would not cause any problems. They recommend a weekly rinse with warm soapy water. Thanks for your input - Daniel. You may have saved me some trouble in the future.
merlin

Re: cleaning

Postby WebDiva » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:13 am

merlin wrote:My DME told me to rinse all hoses, the mask and the humidifier chamber with white vinegar every week. I was also told to rinse the filter to the machine in warm, soapy water once a month. I use the Breeze with nasal pillows and I rinse them in soapy water every morning.

Merlin,

I was told the same thing... hose, mask, humidifier soaked
in vinegar/water solution for 30 minutes once a week. Then
rinse and dry the re-usable filter with soapy water.

Also, the headgear strap... I wash it with my favorite shampoo
every couple of days.

Valerie
WebDiva

Postby Joe Camel » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:51 pm

My physician, and I trust him without question as he uses a CPAP too, reports that we no longer have to use any disinfectants or vinegar. He reports that we must throughly wash with warm soapy water, our humidifier tank and baffles(if any), our hoses, and our masks(be sure to take them completely apart). Be sure to dry all parts on a towel and out of direct sunlight. What a relief!!!
Joe Camel

OSA Feb '04
S-7 EliteCPAP Feb '04
AutoSet Spirit July '04
VPAPIII August '05 (CHF & MCTD)
Heated Humification
Mirage Activa Nasal Mask(previous Mirage Ultra Nasal Mask, Breese Nasal Pillows, Breese Nasal Mask)
Joe Camel

Postby Haku » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:14 pm

Never fear Haku is hear with some input :-)

You should follow the CPAP manufacturer’s specifications to clean your CPAP machine. Disposable filters may be replaced every month. Generally, you should clean your mask daily, we recommend you soak the mask in non-lanolin antibacterial soapy water for 10-minutes, rinse and air dry. DO NOT USE ANY ALCOHOL cleaners on the mask! Your humidification system should be emptied each morning and leave it open to air-dry all day. Refill each night with distilled water. About once a week clean the water chamber and tubing with a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar, rinse and air dry.
Haku

CPAP cleaning

Postby SLEEPER4088 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm

I work in a sleep center and we recommend that our patients wash their equipment with warm soapy water. Do Not use Dawn because this breaks down the mask quicker, escpecially if you are using a gel mask. 2-3 times a week disinfect with a 1:3 mix of white vinegar and water. If you are sick, DISINFECT DAILY. Remember that your are breathing whatever may be growing in there and you CAN become sick due to improper cleaning.
SLEEPER4088

Re: CPAP cleaning

Postby Daniel » Wed May 11, 2011 4:45 pm

SLEEPER4088 wrote:I work in a sleep center and we recommend that our patients wash their equipment with warm soapy water. Do Not use Dawn because this breaks down the mask quicker, escpecially if you are using a gel mask. 2-3 times a week disinfect with a 1:3 mix of white vinegar and water. If you are sick, DISINFECT DAILY. Remember that your are breathing whatever may be growing in there and you CAN become sick due to improper cleaning.

In a hospital environment, where masks are 'multi user', ResMed instructions are as follows:

http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/service_support/mask_sterilization/row_mask_sterilization/608156r11_masks-sterilisation-guide_row_eng.pdf

In a home environment they recommend the following:

Cleaning your mask in the home
Your mask and headgear should only be handwashed by gently rubbing in
warm (approximately 30°C) water using mild soap. All components should
be rinsed well with drinking quality water and allowed to air dry out of direct
sunlight.
Daily/After each use:
•• To optimise the mask seal, facial oils should be removed from the cushion
after use.
•• Handwash the separated mask components (excluding headgear).
•• If the vent requires cleaning use a soft bristle brush.
Weekly:
•• Handwash the headgear. It may be washed without being disassembled.
WARNING
•• Do not use aromatic-based solutions or scented oils (eg, eucalyptus
or essential oils), bleach, alcohol or products that smell strongly (eg,
citrus) to clean any of the mask components. Residual vapors from
these solutions can be inhaled if not rinsed thoroughly. They may also
damage the mask, causing cracks.

The link is:

http://www.resmed.com/uk/assets/documents/product/mirage_activa_lt/user_guide/608308_mirage-activa-lt_user-guide_row_eng.pdf

In the case of Philips/Respironics, instructions are as follows:

Cleaning your mask every day is a very important part of mask maintenance. All of our masks can be cleaned in the same manner. Here are three easy steps to keeping a clean mask:

1.For best results, the mask should be disassembled per the Instructions for Use. Wash the mask components in warm water with mild soap and air dry. Avoid soap with moisturizers. Do not use bleach, alcohol, or cleaning solutions containing alcohol.
2.Wash your face thoroughly before using your mask.
3.Inspect your mask. Replace the mask if the cushion becomes hardened or if any parts become damaged.

Even by following these tips, the natural oils in your face will interact with the mask, and, over time, the mask will lose its seal. Tightening the mask will often cause irritation, pressure sores and additional leaks. Replace the cushion or mask instead of tightening repeatedly. Medicare allows masks to be replaced as often as every three months; most other insurance payers allow for replacement every three to six months. As an informed healthcare consumer, you should be aware of the mask replacement benefits under your healthcare plan. If your plan does not meet your mask replacement needs, talk to your home healthcare provider.

The link is: http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/homehealth/sleep/comfortgelblue/maskcare.wpd

Always remember that you should follow the MANUFACTURERS instructions, otherwise any warranty will be voided.

There have been many reports on the forum (over the years) that DME suppliers are recommending patients to use a vinegar solution. These instructions are at complete variance with MANUFACTURERS instructions and will ensure that the mask will deteriorate and require replacement well ahead of their normal lifespan......obviously at the patients expense. The lifespan of masks has been greatly enhanced over the past 15 years. In the mid to late 90's, masks were only expected to last about 3 months with headgear not lasting much longer. Presently masks are lasting 6+ months and in some cases up to a year.

Cleaning and Disinfecting masks is a job to be carried out in a hospital environment. MANUFACTURERS give very clear instructions, which are geared towards the hospital's ability to complete.

Best advice is to stick to the MANUFACTURERS instructions.......of course, we are all adults, and can do whatever we want (within the law), if we so choose. But why on earth would we bypass clear instructions that will ensure that the mask will perform properly to the end of its expected lifespan.

Daniel.
The untreated Sleep Apnoea sufferer died quietly in his sleep..
Unlike his three passengers who died screaming !

The first 40 years of childhood are by far the hardest
Daniel

Postby Vicki » Thu May 12, 2011 11:41 am

Just to clarify. If you are sick, you need to wash the mask daily just because of all the guck that gets on it and it gets smelly. Not because you are sick, you are already sick with whatever is getting on your equipment. Your immune system is already mounting a defense against whatever is making you sick and clearing it out of your system. The immune cells and antibodies that are produced when you are sick stay around for a long time. That is how our wonderful immune system works. Just don't let anyone else use your equipment, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Next

• Site Supporter