how to disinfect cpap

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Re: how to disinfect cpap

Postby Spaz888 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:18 pm

I see lots of comments on cleaning the mask and hoses, humidifier. but what about the inside of the machine? room bacteria, fine dander, mold, even fungus that the filters can't protect you from get inside the machine. Afteral, you're inhaling whatever the machine's intake sucks in. So how do you santize the machine itself? Do you have to take it to an authorized repair shop for a tear down and have them sanitize it (somehow)?
Spaz888

Machine: Respirons Pro

Postby pamunkey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:59 am

Spaz888 wrote:I see lots of comments on cleaning the mask and hoses, humidifier. but what about the inside of the machine? room bacteria, fine dander, mold, even fungus that the filters can't protect you from get inside the machine. Afteral, you're inhaling whatever the machine's intake sucks in. So how do you santize the machine itself? Do you have to take it to an authorized repair shop for a tear down and have them sanitize it (somehow)?

I wonder why such instructions aren't provided by any CPAP manufacturer. Could it be they don't consider such steps necessary?
pamunkey

Postby Bons » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:03 am

Put on new filters, take off the hose, and let it run for an hour to let any accumulated dust/dander/pollens blow through. Bacteria needs a warm, moist environment, so it should not be an issue inside the cpap itself.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby Spaz888 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 am

I'm by no means a microbiologist or an expert on bugs/viruses/germs et al. But I know there are some that tend to linger including inside your cpap machine.
The only way of knowing for sure is to take the machine apart and examine it with something like an Adenosine Triphosphate measuring device to measure the germs and microbes. I kinda doubt the cpap manufacturers want you to do that.

Also won't running he machine without hose tend to overheat the motor and put extra stress on it? And the smokers smell? How do you get rid of that and all the nasties it carries inside your cpap?
Spaz888

Postby snuzyQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi Spaz888. Having the hose attached or detached should have no effect whatsoever on your machine, but the question here is why run the machine if you aren't using it?

If you or someone in your home smokes, a good rule would be to never smoke in the room where you use your CPAP. It would also be a good idea to use a good air filter in that room, such as the RabbitAir to keep the air in there free of contaminants that could affect your machine. Changing the filters on your machine is important maintenance. The gray filter should be cleaned once per week in warm water to which a little "green" (no chemicals or fragrances added) dishsoap has been added, then rinsed in clear warm water. Your gray filter must be completely air-dried before reinserting it back into your machine. Your gray filter should be replaced every 6 months. You should examine your ultrafine white filter once per week for signs of dirtiness and replace it, if necessary. The ultrafine filter should not be used more than one month without replacing it.

If you do the above faithfully, there will be no nasties inside your machine. If you still have a smell, then this is from your hose and/or mask.

Your hose and mask must be cleaned once per week with the same process as your gray CPAP machine filter. The mask must be disassembled (instructions for this are in your mask manual) before cleaning. Your mask must be replaced every 6 moonths. It helps to have a CPAP brush to clean out the inside of your hose. I take my CPAP hose outside after the rinse and swing it around my head like a lassoo to get the excess water out...then I hang it over my shower rod indoors to dry. CPAP hoses should be replaced every 3 months. All your mask parts, headgear included, should be air-dried. Masks and hoses should be cleaned before using for the first time.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Good luck to you.
Severe OSA...both hubby and me. CPAPin' through life.
PR Remstar System One with A Flex, 560P
Heated Humidifier
Swift FX For Her Nasal Pillows mask
Oral appliance for OSA and TMJ syndrome
snuzyQ

Machine: PR System One 560P
Mask: Quattro FX For Her
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby Spaz888 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:20 am

Thanks snuzyQ. Those are great tips you provided. Unfortunately, if you're buying a used or rental CPAP machine, you have no idea how well (if at all) it was maintained. I think that's more my point but also to remove those microbes especially after you've been sick.
Spaz888

Postby publius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:57 am

I personally think that there is very little chance for bacteria and or viruses to grow inside your CPAP machine because of the dry environment. Nevertheless, its conceivable that a really hardy microbial strain would be able to survive. I use a S-9 Elite CPAP machine and a H5i Humidifier. My CPAP machine, like yours, does not disassemble for cleaning so I share your concerns about strange microbes lurking in my equipment. I do what I can, therefore, to mitigate the possibility and to lessen my anxieties in the matter. Here is what I do:

After cleaning, I use a germicidal solution once per week to soak and disinfect my mask, tubing, and ancillary equipment. In conjunction with this process, I dampen a clean dry cloth in this germicidal solution and wipe the outside of the CPAP machine, and, the inside and outside of the humidifier. With respect to the inside of my CPAP machine, I wipe the intake and outtake airways as far as I can reach into them. In addition, I change the white filter once per month whether its soiled or not. I also use a room air filtering machine, which I keep running 12-14 hours a day. I find this machine removes much of the particulates and pollutants in my bedroom, which is relatively dust free. This is all I can do but it gives me some "peace of mind".

I obtain my germicide solution from a local surgical supply store but it can also be obtained from one of the CPAP commercial web sites.

I hope you find these comments useful.
publius

Postby DaTrueDave » Wed May 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Does anyone have experience with the ozone-based sanitizer that can be found advertised here in these forums, or any other similar products?
DaTrueDave

Previous

• Site Supporter