How long to get sleep study results?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

How long to get sleep study results?

Postby firefitr26emt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:47 am

I just got back from my sleep study? The lady couldn't tell me anything, said doc has to. But I don't see him until next Thursday.

I would like to know how accurate this test can be, when I barely slept because the hospital was so noisy. I can't stand noise while I sleep. That and I am used to sleeping on my stomach, not on my back and side. But she said I slept enough to be tested ok. To me it felt like I never slept, I tossed all night, it just sucked, and I kept getting tangled up in cords.

FYI: I did not have to take my contacts out.

Anyways does anyone know when I may be able to call my doc to ask anything, or do I just wait until Thursday. Or will they call me if there is a big concern?
firefitr26emt

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:07 am

Was it supposed to be a split night study or no? If it was a split night and they didn't put you on CPAP, that would be an indication that they don't think it is Sleep Apnea. If it was a regular study, then you will have to wait. We all get really impatient once we get the ball rolling on getting tested and treated, but a week is not bad. I had to wait 3. I would make sure that before you see the sleep doc, you call and make sure that the test has been scored and will be ready by your appointment. That will avoid more delays.
Mike

Machine: Respironics Remstar Auto
Mask: Resmed Swift
Humidifier: Yes, Aussie Heated Hose
Year Diagnosed: 2005

Postby firefitr26emt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:50 am

no it was not supposed to be a split night, just one night, no cpap. What does that mean, he will have to rescedule me for a sleep lab before I can get a cpap?
firefitr26emt

Postby Linda » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:17 am

firefitr26emt wrote:no it was not supposed to be a split night, just one night, no cpap. What does that mean, he will have to rescedule me for a sleep lab before I can get a cpap?

Depending on the results of the first test, yes, you will likely have to go back, is my guess. But wait until you talk to the doctor.
My sleep study was scheduled to be two nites, but when I called the sleep study clinic about some small thing, they mentioned it would be a split nite study. Apparently my doctor had made the change, presumably suspecting certainty about my apnea, and especially knowing my oxygen level was extremely low.
So I got the split nite. The second part of the test, they fit you with the mask and machine and tell you to sleep. They then test to see how you do at different pressures. They increase the pressures until they see an improvement where you no longer experience sleep apnea episodes. They can see that on the graph they produce. My sleep study report included a copy of that graph and it was interesting to see.

I too wondered if I slept enough for there to be test results. But apparently I had. You can see that on the graphs too, when you're sleeping, for the graph plots over time, throughout the nite. On my graph I saw a big hour-long period of activity when I was clearly awake. I laugh because I know that was the hour when I was trying to move from my right side to my left side. With all those wires, it took me nearly an hour to do!! Hahaha.

Since I had the split nite study, I don't know how soon the second nite study is scheduled. Presumably soon, depending on the results of the first test.
If the scheduling is too long, you might ask the doc about arranging for a rental auto in the mean time, if things are a real struggle for you. But I would imagine the second nite study is prearranged and it will be soon, if it's needed.

L.
Linda

Postby firefitr26emt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:10 am

that kind of sucks. So my doc highly suspected I had sleep apnea, knew i was falling asleep driving, and falling asleep doing everthing else. Knew I couldn't get into a test for an entire month, then doesn't see me for a week after the test. Then I have to get another test, which I will have to be rescheduled for, then of course have to see him for, AGAIN for the CPAP. sorry for the rant, but isn't that kind of stupid.

Linda is autopap a choice, with my asthma, I am thinking not. I could be wrong though.
firefitr26emt

Postby Linda » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:23 am

firefitr26emt wrote:that kind of sucks. So my doc highly suspected I had sleep apnea, knew i was falling asleep driving, and falling asleep doing everthing else. Knew I couldn't get into a test for an entire month, then doesn't see me for a week after the test. Then I have to get another test, which I will have to be rescheduled for, then of course have to see him for, AGAIN for the CPAP. sorry for the rant, but isn't that kind of stupid.

Linda is autopap a choice, with my asthma, I am thinking not. I could be wrong though.

Autopap can be used by anybody. But if you are a mouth breather, you might have to use a full face mask, or a chin strap to ensure you breathe only through your nose. That's all. It doesn't have anything to do with other conditions, as far as I'm aware.

I appreciate your rant, and it sure is justified. But also keep in mind, that for them to get a good test of how you sleep, they had to record you when you were actually sleeping. This is only a thought, but it may be that it took all that time to record a sufficient amount of time you were sleeping.
I suspect that with my splitnite study, if I had had trouble sleeping, then they would have extended it to a two nite study.

Linda
Linda

Postby tbone » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:15 pm

firefitr26emt wrote:that kind of sucks. So my doc highly suspected I had sleep apnea, knew i was falling asleep driving, and falling asleep doing everthing else. Knew I couldn't get into a test for an entire month, then doesn't see me for a week after the test. Then I have to get another test, which I will have to be rescheduled for, then of course have to see him for, AGAIN for the CPAP. sorry for the rant, but isn't that kind of stupid.

You have asthma, and your a firefigher???
tbone

Postby firefitr26emt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:19 pm

Yeah, tbone. Although we are an all around fire company we are primarily rescue. because a lot of people travel through the area, but only about 5500 live in the area. The area being 220 sq. miles. So we do not get a lot of fires, and when we do, I don't do the fire thing, I do other stuff on scene. My primary thing as a firefighter is rescue technician, and because I am also an EMT, I am an internal extrication technician...meaning, I or someone else grab the jaws and make a space big enough for me to get into a crushed car, then I get into the car with an entrapped patient. I do this to comfort them, care for them, and to let the guys on the outside, know what they need to to cut us both out. Yes that makes what i am doing dangerous, but I am the only one in my company qualified to do it. I have done it long enough to assess when it is too dangerous to get in with a patient. My safety is always first, but never guaranteed.
firefitr26emt

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:04 am

I hope you don't fall asleep doing everything!
Steve

24 year old female with severe sleep apnea!

Postby cornpop16 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:42 pm

Hey!!
Well, I had to wait 1 month to egt my results back, I am unsure if that is normal or due to being over booked!!!
cornpop16

• Site Supporter