• Site Supporter

How high are your Humidity settings?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

How high are your Humidity settings?

Postby VanWinkle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Just out of curiosity.

How high do you set your humidity?

I just got mine yesterday and I even though dryness has been a real problem for my nasal passages I vowed to start slow at first.

I also got a fuller faced mask but will wait to see if adding humidity to my CPAP alleviates the dryness first. I've heard that too much humidity can cause problems with the mask.
VanWinkle

Machine: Resmed Autoset
Humidifier: NO
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: How high are your Humidity settings?

Postby truckerdad57 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm

The numerical setting for humidity can't really be compared between CPAP makes and models.

How much mumidity you get at the mask also depends on if you are insulating your hose or using a heated hose system.

The only "bad" thing too much humidity can cause is "rain out" which is where you get condensation in the hose or mask. Most modern CPAP have temp/rh sensors in the hunidifier to prevent or reduce rain out. If you do get rain out just turn down the humidifier a bit, turn up the heat in the room a bit, or insulate the hose with either something home made (tube socks cut at the bottom were my first) or there are commercial hose covers.

Last resort if you want really warm moist air is a heated hose system. I have a ResMed S-9 with their climateline heated hose system. It's like sleeping in a nice warm swamp if that's what you want.

If nasal dryness is a problem you should also look at nasal irrigation. There are stickies in the forum about nettie pots etc. Rinsing your nose out sounds gross but actually feels great. During hay fever season my nose gets dry and irrigation helps.

Good Luck
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Postby VanWinkle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks Truckerdad.

I actually have done nasal irrigation with Nettie pots and I have a giant nasal syringe. Interestingly enough just having an OTC nasal spray seemed to help me somewhat. I was given a commercial hose cover also. I also have the ResMEd- S-9. I've got one night with it so far. I think I used it at 3. Does having the humidity higher help with coping with the mask for you?
VanWinkle

Postby need_air_at_night » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 am

Funny after my last time pulling my machine off the night stand I took off the humidifier and I now sleep better with out it. who would have thought? But by all means I am one person. so take my advice with a grain of salt and a big one at that. at least on this one.
need_air_at_night

Machine: Philips repironics system on
Mask: mirage quattro
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby Steve99 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:53 am

Truckerdad pretty well points out that the humidifier is substantially a trial and error settings issue, learning by OJT (on the job experience ](*,) .

I discovered yesterday for example, that the blasts of cold air were because the humidifier had quit operating. (Um duh on me). I took it in to the local DME sole supplier whose abysmal technical support said the plate is heating up So, everything is fine. I asked about control setups having inadvertantly been turned to 'Off'' and was brushed off.

So, the point is you need to be proactive and self advocating when you have questions. I later groped around the user-accessible panel settings and found the soft setting to turn it back on.
Steve99

Machine: Respironics AutoReflex System
Mask: Full face ResMed 10-1-2012

Postby VanWinkle » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:53 am

Well last night I set my humidifier to it's highest point and woke up with the mask off at 1 am. I think I may have to adjust the mask better with the chinstrap or set to the ramp to "off" because I think i'm not getting enough air pressure. My machine was set to 11 by my therapist. I have not used Clove oil but have had some success with saline spray. I'd say the humidifier ran out about 3am and I didn't realize it. One touch of a button and the well turns red I should have known.

Need_air_at_night I may in fact be in your camp with the Humidifier. i'm going to give it a few days just to be sure though. I did not reconnect it once I realized it was out. The commotion I make adjusting the chinstrap, nasal mask and CPAP are plenty without going to get my bottle of distilled water to refill the humidifier at 4 am. I seemed to do fine breathing although I did wake up quiet a bit but not from lack of oxygen. My AHI reading was 1.0 for 6.6 hours of sleep. Down from 26.3 prior to CPAP use.
VanWinkle

Postby Steve99 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I had the same problem with the tank running dry. It should not run out. It does so because the fan is running excessively due to air leaks. The fan is trying to keep up with the air leaks and it can't. Replaced the mask for one that fits bettwer and problem stopped immediately.
Steve99

Machine: Respironics AutoReflex System
Mask: Full face ResMed 10-1-2012

Postby VanWinkle » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Actually I think I under filled my well. And used a higher setting on top of it.
VanWinkle

• Site Supporter