How do I sanitize my mask and tubing? I'm sick...

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

How do I sanitize my mask and tubing? I'm sick...

Postby 2girlsmom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:26 pm

My 9 mo old was nice enough to share her stomach virus with me and her sister... I couldn't even wear the mask much last night because it made me more nauseated... anyway... I have been wearing it and was probably infected before I developed symptoms so I want to be sure I clean it well so I don't get sick again. Should I just do the vinegar/water? HELP... I do not want to keep getting sick...
Mom of two sweet girls, a 1.5yo and a 5yo
Started CPAP 10/22/07
ResMed Autoset II with Humidaire 3i, Pressure 7-12
ResMed Mirage Quattro FF Mask
2girlsmom

Postby Bearded One » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Soap and very warm water should be sufficient. 1:1 vinegar solution after the soap and water may also be good.

Frequent hand washing is very effective at helping to stop the spread of stomach viruses.

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/pressrel/2-15-07.htm
Bearded One

Postby tillymarigold » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:35 pm

1:1 is a lot stronger than I'd use! Particularly for the mask, since many mfrs recommend not using anything stronger than mild dish soap or baby shampoo on the mask. (But if I were you, I'd certainly want to sanitize it too!)

My humidifier manual recommends soaking for 20 minutes 4:1 water:vinegar once a week, if I were sick I'd probably increase that to 3:1.

You can throw the headgear (straps) in the wash. I usually wash mine inside the mesh bag that I wash delicates in. If you have a cold-sanitize cycle (I do), you can use that, but I wouldn't use hot water on the straps, only cold or warm.
Machine: Puritan-Bennett GoodKnight 420E (Auto)
Mask: OptiLife/Hybrid
tillymarigold

Postby Bearded One » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm

I have heard that some manufacturers say not to use vinegar on masks, I have also heard that I am not supposed to use Dawn dishwashing liquid on my mask. I have been using Dawn and 1:1 vinegar on my masks and everything else for over 13 years and haven't noticed any problems with using it.
Bearded One

Postby 2girlsmom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:13 pm

Thanks everyone... will go do the vinegar/water now...

We are washing our hands like fiends and I lysoled the house a couple of times. I hope this is over soon. We are all doing a bit better tonight. The baby threw up on me twice before I got sick, so I knew it would get me eventually. :cry:
Mom of two sweet girls, a 1.5yo and a 5yo
Started CPAP 10/22/07
ResMed Autoset II with Humidaire 3i, Pressure 7-12
ResMed Mirage Quattro FF Mask
2girlsmom

Postby blehmier » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:51 pm

I hope you start feeling better two girls mom. Being sick stinks.
Beth
--------------------------------------------------------
Started CPAP 10/17/2007
PRE CPAP AHI 32.7
REMstar Pro M Series w/C-Flex & Humidifier
11.0 cmH20
FlexiFit 407 Nasal Mask
Aussie Heated Hose
blehmier

Re: How do I sanitize my mask and tubing? I'm sick...

Postby clk » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:12 am

2girlsmom wrote:My 9 mo old was nice enough to share her stomach virus with me and her sister... I couldn't even wear the mask much last night because it made me more nauseated... anyway... I have been wearing it and was probably infected before I developed symptoms so I want to be sure I clean it well so I don't get sick again. Should I just do the vinegar/water? HELP... I do not want to keep getting sick...

Although manufacturers recommend using a mild soap for routine cleaning, this is not a routine cleaning. This is due to an infection/virus. I think it will not damage the the equipment to disinfect it once after an illness. I recommend that you ask your local pharmacist to recommend something to disinfect your equipment. Look on cpap websites for the products to disinfect at the hospital and see if anyone locally carries those products.

After I am sick I wipe many things down using a Hibistat hand antiseptic cloth (chlorhexidine gluconate solution and anticpetic isopropyl alcohol). I purchase these at the drugstore (ask pharmacist to show you where to find it). Rubbing alcohol on a cloth would probably work also to wipe off the mask and and hose. rinse the humidifier reservoir with soap and hot water and rinse with extra hot water. Try to avoid products with scents. Rinse everything with hot water this once. Clean the gray filter and change the hepa or fine filter.

Don't forget to clean the phone, door handles, sink, and faucets before cleaning your machine and parts.

I hope the entire family gets over this fast.

clk
clk

I was told to use Woolite

Postby JLB » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:43 am

Because it is a gentle soap. I have not pruchased it yet...keep forgetting. But I use lather from a bar of Ivory right now. I used dawn but now told no. I also use a little white vinegar no and then. So far no colds or Flu. Hope that helps.
JLB

Postby merywidow » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:37 am

When I am sick I wipe down mask and everything with alcohol or alcohol based something. I want to kill those critters. I don't care what the manufacturers say as I can always get a new mask in 3 months if it deteriorates. So far it hasn't happened and the one or two times you use it doesn't matter. Just dish soap and water for me at all the other times.
merywidow

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!