Help With Encore Viewer Software!

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Help With Encore Viewer Software!

Postby goodnightmoon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:59 pm

I just got the Encore Viewer software to try to reduce my AHI. When I try to install it I get an error message that reads "Error 1920 Service Smart Card failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." I cannot finish the installation to even use the software. Can anyone help me with this? I called customer service and it is just an automated line to leave a message with Respironics. :-( Thanks
It's useless to play lullabies for those who cannot sleep.
goodnightmoon

Machine: Respironics System 1 REMstar Plus
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: Help With Encore Viewer Software!

Postby Todzo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:01 pm

goodnightmoon wrote:I just got the Encore Viewer software to try to reduce my AHI. When I try to install it I get an error message that reads "Error 1920 Service Smart Card failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." I cannot finish the installation to even use the software. Can anyone help me with this? I called customer service and it is just an automated line to leave a message with Respironics. :-( Thanks

Hi goodnightmoon!

Installation sounds like a job for the administrator, so try doing the install as the system administrator (assuming you cannot find a system administrator password dialog on the screen when the error occurred).

If you still have trouble please message us with info about your operating system, which version of EncoreViewer, and what kind of smart card reader you use.

Thanks!

Todzo
AHI=52 SpO2 Nadir=55% (!!!) Focus & Vigilance problems w/PTSD from Trauma
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Pulse oximeter CMS-50-F, night audio recorded via Audacity or Linux “sox”. Zeo.
Todzo

Postby goodnightmoon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Todzo, and thanks for your help. I am using Windows XP V.2002 with Encore Viewer version 2.0. I just got the little smart card reader that comes with Encore Viewer through CPAP.com. I am logged on as the administrator, but it doesn't make any difference. I am thinking it might have something to do with my corrupt old tank of a computer, but hoping I can figure it out. Any ideas?
goodnightmoon

Postby Todzo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:37 pm

goodnightmoon wrote:Hi Todzo, and thanks for your help. I am using Windows XP V.2002 with Encore Viewer version 2.0. I just got the little smart card reader that comes with Encore Viewer through CPAP.com. I am logged on as the administrator, but it doesn't make any difference. I am thinking it might have something to do with my corrupt old tank of a computer, but hoping I can figure it out. Any ideas?

Hi again goodnightmoon!

Sounds like a pretty old machine. My install is on W7 but the box says it should work on your machine. To really help you if the little things I am about to suggest do not work out I will need to install on my old Acer One XP box. I have not done much with XP for years.

If it were me I would:

1. See if I can get the supplied SD Smart Card reader to read and write to another (not from your CPAP!!!) SD card. I would use the one I know is in my camera. I would make sure I could see the card in Explorer and read the files for sure. I might try writing a little text file to the card and see if I can open it in a word processor. This checks that the SD Smart Card reader is working. If it is not I would get a can of Cleaning Duster from an office supply store and blow the USB connectors involved out.

2. Old machines tend to have worn out CMOS batteries (the little watch battery on the Mother Board - often a CR-2032 watch battery). You do not need to pull the machine apart and test the battery rather during the turn on sequence watch the screen and note whatever key sequence must be hit to enter the CMOS editor (on mine you hit the Delete key, often an F2 will work). In the editor hit the key(s) to restore the default settings and then save and exit (which will continue the boot). If things now work it is time to replace the CMOS battery.

3. Old machines are also prone to virus simply by the long time of exposure to the internet. Good to give her a scan.

If still not joy send us a note here and I will try to clear some time for a test install on the old Acer this weekend.

I hope we both have a lot of fun!

Todzo
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Todzo

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Todzo!!! Donchoo be calling my 'puter w/Win XP a relic!!! Other than being slow due to being stuck w/slow speed dial up in a rural area this ole gal works just fine w/EncorePro 2.2.14 and ResScan 3.10

I have no experience w/EncoreViewer but EncorePro 2 was a PITA to install. I had my 'puter guru do the install. My 'puter doesn't have USB whatevers so 'puter guru had to add a couple of USB cables to a couple of my "ports". ResScan has never given me a bit of trouble w/a USB cable. EncorePro 2 was "fussy" about the USB cables so guru had to set one up as a "dedicated" USB "port" for EncorePro.

I haven't had any experience w/the S9s but my PR S1 and its data card and EncorePro 2 work just fine w/a generic card reader cable from Radio Shack.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby goodnightmoon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:59 pm

After spending about 35 minutes on the phone with tech support from Respironics today I discovered that my computer has some serious problems. I am apparently not logged on as the administrator although there is no other user account, so the tech believes there might be a virus "controlling" my machine. I cannot access the smart card and it is turned off. The woman, Stacey, was great, and tried all kinds of things to remedy the problem, but ultimately suggested I call the Geek Squad. When I did that, they told me that it would be a four day wait and $300 to do a diagnostic and repair on my computer!!! If that is the case, I am going to invest in a new machine, not only for the Encore Viewer software but also for work. Needless to say, I am pretty peeved. I knew my comp was having some problems, but I did not realize it was so serious. Does anyone know where you can buy a computer and have them transfer over your old files to the new machine for free? I know there are some office chain stores that will do it, but I am not sure which ones. Thanks!
goodnightmoon

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Wait a minute, GoodNightMoon!!!! If the PAP you have listed in your profile really is the PR S1 Plus you are wasting your time, money and effort in the WRONG direction. That Plus hasn't got one iota of data that is of ANY VALUE to you or EncoreViewer!!!!

You need a PR S1 Pro or PR S1 Auto before EncoreViewer will do you ANY good at all. That Plus can't provide you w/any data except how many hours per night you use it and how many nights youve used it. Compliance data only. NO leak, NO AHI, NO AI, etc., etc. It is an entry level, bottom of the barrel, PAP.

If you've had it less than 30 days take it back to your local DME provider and INSIST that they exchange it for a PR S1 Pro or PR S1 Auto. The latest from PR is a PR S1 Auto IQ. I'm not sure just exactly what data the IQ can provide so INSIST that you and your doctor be able to access LEAK, AHI AND AI from any PAP they provide you with.
CrohnieToo

Postby Todzo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 pm

CrohnieToo wrote:Todzo!!! Donchoo be calling my 'puter w/Win XP a relic!!! Other than being slow due to being stuck w/slow speed dial up in a rural area this ole gal works just fine w/EncorePro 2.2.14 and ResScan 3.10

I have no experience w/EncoreViewer but EncorePro 2 was a PITA to install. I had my 'puter guru do the install. My 'puter doesn't have USB whatevers so 'puter guru had to add a couple of USB cables to a couple of my "ports". ResScan has never given me a bit of trouble w/a USB cable. EncorePro 2 was "fussy" about the USB cables so guru had to set one up as a "dedicated" USB "port" for EncorePro.

I haven't had any experience w/the S9s but my PR S1 and its data card and EncorePro 2 work just fine w/a generic card reader cable from Radio Shack.

Hi CrohnieToo!

I am fascinated even by my own attachment to my silly old Acer Aspire One netbook. It has a lot more hours on it than any computer I own. Even though I bought a new Dell with four times the memory, about four times the processor capability, and a much better display I still find myself taking the Acer netbook when I leave the house for a day.

Part of it is that I bought a new battery for the old gal and so it has twice the time available than the Dell. But most if it is some kind of attachment that has me considering purchasing a new CPU fan for it and taking yet another evening to go inside the machine and install it. I know that 2013 XP will be depreciated by MS. I know that I could purchase a new Acer with twice the memory and a better CPU for less than I spent on the box. But she is my old gal I guess I still love her.

I be silly human!

Todzo
Todzo

Postby Todzo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:51 pm

goodnightmoon wrote:After spending about 35 minutes on the phone with tech support from Respironics today I discovered that my computer has some serious problems. I am apparently not logged on as the administrator although there is no other user account, so the tech believes there might be a virus "controlling" my machine. I cannot access the smart card and it is turned off. The woman, Stacey, was great, and tried all kinds of things to remedy the problem, but ultimately suggested I call the Geek Squad. When I did that, they told me that it would be a four day wait and $300 to do a diagnostic and repair on my computer!!! If that is the case, I am going to invest in a new machine, not only for the Encore Viewer software but also for work. Needless to say, I am pretty peeved. I knew my comp was having some problems, but I did not realize it was so serious. Does anyone know where you can buy a computer and have them transfer over your old files to the new machine for free? I know there are some office chain stores that will do it, but I am not sure which ones. Thanks!

Hi again goodnightmoon!

Yes, your symptoms made the best sense if the machine itself was having a hardware or software problem. I am very glad to hear you found good support from Respironics!

You may well find that being forced to find a new computer is a bit of a blessing in disguise. Technology has moved along quite a bit. I would recommend that you take some real time to study up on today's computers and good time to consider before you buy. There are a lot of good deals out there if you look for them.

Most office supply stores, technology stores, and computer stores can provide the data move service.

If you live near Seattle PM me.

Have a lot of fun!

Todzo
Todzo

Postby CrohnieToo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:31 am

I've hated every upgrade of Windows as each one is slower loading than the version before but my 'puter guru tells me that Windows 8 loads super fast.
CrohnieToo

Postby robysue » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 am

CrohnieToo wrote:Wait a minute, GoodNightMoon!!!! If the PAP you have listed in your profile really is the PR S1 Plus you are wasting your time, money and effort in the WRONG direction. That Plus hasn't got one iota of data that is of ANY VALUE to you or EncoreViewer!!!!

I'm not sure GoodNightMoon has the right machine on her profile. In another thread she posted AHI info coming off the machine's LCD presumably because she was saying that her 7-day AHI was 6.something. So I think she may just have the Pro instead of the Plus. It doesn't help that the Pro's full name is the Philips Resprionics System One Pro with C-Flex Plus. Very, very confusing for newbies if you ask me. And also makes it much easier for a shady DME to try to pacify a newbie into accepting the Plus while the newb thinks they are getting a Pro.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions