Has your brainfog been so bad that you forget where you are?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

Has your brainfog been so bad that you forget where you are?

Postby gpyle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Today at work i had a bad dose of brain fog. My line of work is very technical in nature. Usually with bad brain fog days, i tend to get confused easy when dealing with in-depth issues at work that require a lot of troubleshooting. I was very busy today - which is great..forces me to keep some sort of focus - but at one point i walked out of my office and had no idea where i was for about 4-5 seconds. This has happened a few times before but today scared the hell out of me. Has anyone come close to experiencing anything like this in the past?
gpyle

Machine: Dental Device
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Re: Has your brainfog been so bad that you forget where you

Postby Todzo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:41 pm

gpyle wrote:Today at work i had a bad dose of brain fog. My line of work is very technical in nature. Usually with bad brain fog days, i tend to get confused easy when dealing with in-depth issues at work that require a lot of troubleshooting. I was very busy today - which is great..forces me to keep some sort of focus - but at one point i walked out of my office and had no idea where i was for about 4-5 seconds. This has happened a few times before but today scared the hell out of me. Has anyone come close to experiencing anything like this in the past?

Are you sure you really want to know?

Remember going after something I needed in storage - each trip I got a lot of things I needed except the one thing I needed which started the trips. My work mates stopped me during my third trip to ask me what was going on.

One bright sunny Sunday, windless I might add, this very experienced cyclist started thinking about those he would see at Church - oh nooo - going down. I hit the pavement so hard with my chest that I knocked myself out for a time and bruised every tendon in my six pack area. That really hurt! I literally became so distracted in my own thoughts that the very important task of keeping balance was ignored for a second, which, is all it takes. I thought about this for some time and decided, after a few walking falls, not to drive anymore.

The ability to keep to task is part of the executive functioning that becomes "easily fatigued" if our Obstructive Sleep Apnea is not diagnosed and treated soon enough. Severity and especially minimum oxygen saturation are important indicators. My 55% minimum SpO2, along with reports of apneas from my wife in '85' - the sleep study being done in '03' with pre-diagnoses originating with a bunk mate in shelter kind of tells my tale.

A study I read yesterday basically says that treatment for OSA does bring a bit of cognitive functioning back but the best I can recommend is that we all treat this disease as well as we can and take good care of ourselves in general.

May we find good health!

Todzo
AHI=52 SpO2 Nadir=55% (!!!) Focus & Vigilance problems w/PTSD from Trauma
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Pulse oximeter CMS-50-F, night audio recorded via Audacity or Linux “sox”. Zeo.
Todzo

Postby CrohnieToo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I've read in articles about poor sleep of, I forget the term they used, falling asleep for a "milli-second" that results in these type of "memory" problems where for a short instant you are not sure of where you are. For instance, when driving and nothing looks familiar for a second or two and you aren't sure of where you are even in a very familiar area.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Dude » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 am

I'm constantly forgetting my original task and starting new ones but I'm pretty sure I have ADD to begin with and it's exaggerated by lack of sleep.

One time that sticks in my mind is the time I was going through the drive-through burger place. There was a line so I had time to melt into my car seat. I gave the girl the exact amount and then just sat there. I sat there looking around and sometimes at her but she wouldn't look at me. I think the poor girl was searching for the pervert alert button to press. Finally a guy came into her cubicle and asked her if there was a problem. That snapped me out of it and I pulled forward.

I scheduled my next apnear surgery the next week after that one.
Dude

Postby Sleepster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 am

gpyle wrote:This has happened a few times before but today scared the hell out of me. Has anyone come close to experiencing anything like this in the past?

This can happen to anyone. It could be caused by stress, or a lack of sleep, or both. I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens too often you can discuss it with your doc.
IPAP 10, EPAP 7, Bi-Flex 3, Humidifier 2
Sleepster

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Pro
Mask: ComfortLite2 Nasal Pillows
Humidifier: PR System One
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby jake52 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 pm

yes i have the excect same thing almost its lie my body moves a few seconds befor i know what iam doingand then its like the throught is way back there but slowley comming to me i am going to the doc toremorow mt body feels good but brain is so foggy it is dangours i move befoer i think ive never been like this had machine a month now
jake52

Postby RestlessNightz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Todzo I feel your plight! I had suffered from brain fog for quite some time. It had gotten so bad that I was having difficulties in remembering friend's names, when we last met, and what we last talked about. I even found myself running up and down my apartment's stairs to check and ensure that I had truly locked the door, among other annoying situations.

I started taking Neuro Boost Piracetam, about 3 months ago, and noticed a slight increase in memory about a month into taking it. A basic bit of information regarding Piracetam is that it is a derivative cyclic of GABA and works by stimulating the Acetylcholine receptors which are implicated in thought and memory functions. I've been taking around 2,400-4,800mg a day for the entire time, and as I said I've noticed a steady slight increase in my memory. It isn't anything similar to some "super-duper you're awesomely smart now" drug, but it has helped promote my memory and overall cognitive functionality. I've been taking Piracetam alongside L-theanine and Choline Bitartrate. L-Theanine stimulates the GABA and is reported to have anti-anxiety benefits. Choline Bitartrate is a acetylcholine neurotransmitter source, which I use to replace the transmitters used by Piracetam due to its stimulation ACh receptors.

Other drugs and vitamins I've found to be beneficial in improving my memory have been: Omega-3 fish oils, ALCAR, and Alpha-GPC. If you aren't taking a mutlivitamin and some Omega-3 fish oil I'd suggest you go ahead and give them a shot as that can already help you out both in physical and mental health.

I know getting a good rest is also key in not having brain fog. So sometimes it just isn't going to be avoidable with Sleep Apnea, although using some supplements, vitamins, and drugs can certainly make these days easier and less cumbersome than usual.

[Moderated. Please refer to posting guidelines on commercial links/links to blogs]
http://www.apneasupport.org/welcome-and-policies-guidelines-please-read-t600.html

I hope you found any part of this beneficial, I know how bad it sucks to live with brain fog, and I hope you find some help or relief from it soon!
RestlessNightz

Postby Bons » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:04 pm

I drove to the wrong client's house the other day for my moonlighting job. And I often get mixed up while driving, so that I'm tempted to get a gps just to keep me on track.

I don't know how much is due to the sleep apnea or how much is due to working 60-70 hours per week. Now that I've switched masks I'm not waking up as much when I am asleep, so I'll be optimistic.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

• Site Supporter