has anyone used or tried CPAP PRO?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Postby somecosams » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:58 pm

I have used the CPAP Pro for some time... since they came out to my knowledge. My effort at first was to alleviate a problem I was having with the normal CPAP mask making a seal due to my beard. I purchased one and have been using it since. Other than take care of my apnea wonderfully, it gives a secondary benefit... the mouthpiece which is the support for the breathing apparatus, prevents wearing down of teeth due to night grinding. At first I was concerned about breathing through my nose, rather than my mouth. But for me it was easy to convert… as a matter of fact, I think it turns a “mouth breather” into a nose breather. At times I have a bit of head congestion, like most people, and in the past would breathe through my mouth when congested, which is not comfortable. But when I first lay down and put the Pro on, if I am a bit congested… a few breaths eliminates that congestion. My machine has a humidifier within it as well. If it didn't have this there may be a bit of dryness experienced due to all air going through the nostrils, but cannot say for sure, since my machine has a humidifier. I also have oxygen feeding into my machine.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but works great once you iron out any difficulties. The only difficulty I experienced was adjusting the nasal puffs the proper distance from my nose. Once you get that down, you are home free. And for sure if you have facial hair, it is the only way to go.

Sonny
somecosams

CPAP PRO Evaluation

Postby vwilliam46 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:17 am

I have used the CPAP PRO device for a few years and compared to the nasal or face masks, I love it. I have roseacea (?) and the face masks and straps cause major breakouts. The biggest problem with CPAP PRO for me is the cost, but I guess I can chalk that one up to political payoffs and such (like all medical devices and products in the U.S.). I just ordered a replacement mouth piece for $22, but the real killer is that they charged me $12 shipping! Their USPS cost is probably less than a dollar - two at most. I emailed their support and asked for a kiss since I felt like I had just been screwed!
vwilliam46

Postby somecosams » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:32 pm

William... just curious, why did you have to replace the mouthpiece. And you are right about the parts... very pricy. The only parts I have really needed was hose replacements. But rather than order those, I caught the entire thing on special and bought a new one. The newer model has improved the "nasal puffs"... they fit right into your nostrils... very good. But I am going to look at a medical store to see if I can buy the hose there... and make my own.

Sonny ghollub@austin.rr.com
somecosams

I've looked, but...

Postby vwilliam46 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:20 am

All of the hose I found was too thick for two of them to fit on the plastic connector piece side by side. If you find some good hose, please let me know. I have had my CPAP PRO for several years and have gone through 3 mouthpieces and several hoses and nasal pieces. I received the new nasal pieces with the last hose I bought and they are much better than the old ones. I b!#$% about the cost, but I have not found anything to compare with the CPAP PRO. For me, it is the best thing on the market even if they are overpriced.
vwilliam46

Postby somecosams » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:42 pm

William... if you look closely at one of the hose ends... they have been "smashed" so they fit... not for sure how they do that, but will first find the hose, then attempt the "smashing"... LOL... will let you know. I agree also, it is the best of all I have tried, even moreso with the new nasal puffs...

Sonny ghollub@austin.rr.com
somecosams

buying a CPAP PRO nasal pilow

Postby THE CRAWLER » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:21 am

Hi i currently use a Swift but suffer from all the usual probs bad hair sore nose strap marks leaking etc . I fancy trying the CPAP PRO but the only problem is i live in the UK and ave searched the web for a source without success. Can anyone help? Also exactly what is a prescription? is it a doctors note?
thanks
peter
THE CRAWLER

Postby cpap lover » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:01 pm

I have been using CPAP PRO for over a year now and just love it. The newer design nasal puffs have made it even more comfortable. One of the keys is to hang your hose over your bedstead or purchase the iron arm device that inserts under your mattress on the side of your bed and will hold your hose up in the air. The mouthpiece is just like an athletic mouth guard the football players and the smarter hockey players wear.
Another key is to keep adjusting the tension on the tubes and nasal puffs so it is a nice tight fit with now air escaping. It is so quiet compared to the face mask that came with the system it is sometimes hard to tell if I have the machine on or not.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SOLUTION. I SLEEP ALL NIGHT WITHOUT WAKING UP (except when I drink too much coffee and have to get up to urinate).
cpap lover

Postby wallyja » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:17 pm

I also love my CPAP-Pro. I absolutely hated sleeping with anything over my face, and this is the perfect solution for me. I have so much time saved in the morning now that I don't have to wet and blow my hair every morning, as hair-do stays good with nothing bulky messing it up from a face mask. Also, no more creases, lines, redness on my nose or face since there is nothing on your face! The mouth piece can be a little bit awkward when you first start using the interface, but you will get used to it quickly. Once in a blue moon I do wake up finding myself drooling a little, but I generally do not have this problem. I did not buy the attachment which holds the hose up, because I thought it was ridiculously expensive, and I have no problem at all with the interface or the hose while I am sleeping.

I am slightly LESS happy with the CPAP-Pro since they redesigned the nasal puffs, as I now experience occasional "rain out," which didn't happen with the older design, but it's not bad enough to make me go back to a face mask. I do wish the interface was a little less expensive, but I can't picture myself using anything else.

I have seen many negative comments about the CPAP-Pro, but I really love it, and would never go back to a face mask, NEVER!
wallyja

Postby darlindeb » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 am

I was just looking at the CPAP Pro, I think I want it. I hate the straps, so much touching my face, and I have been told that maybe a bite plate would help relieve my headaches, this combines both needs into one. Is there anyone out there who doesn't like it? I have only seen good remarks so far.
RemStar Plus M-Series withC-Flex--Pressure of 9
On CPAP since September 12, 2008
darlindeb

Postby stan33man » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:04 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I am still awaiting results of my second sleep study (the one where they have you wear the mask all night.) It was tolerable (to the extent that these studies are at all) but I am not looking forward to wearing the mask every night for the rest of my life. Therefore, the CPAP Pro sounds like as close to an ideal solution as possible.

But I do have a couple of questions/concerns, and any and all feedback from members - particularly ones with CPAP Pro experience - would be greatly appreciated.

I already wear a night guard for teeth grinding - and this is NOT a "Doctor's Night Guard." I tried one of those years ago, and could not get it fitted properly. The one I use was custom fitted by a dentist, and the cost was many times what I paid for the DNG. However, I still have a tendency to take it out of my mouth at some point during the night, on most nights. So, I'm wondering how I'll adapt to the mouth piece in the CPAP Pro.

Also, I have had major sinus problems since moving to the drier climate (nearly 5 years ago) where we now live. I have trouble breathing through my nose, and am wondering if this will present problems in using the CPAP Pro, and if so how - and to what extent.

Thanks again in advance for any and all help in this area. :-)
stan33man

Postby justmalea » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 pm

I have been using the CPAP Pro for a while now and I also am required to wear a mouth guard. I have severe PTSD and have cracked teeth in my sleep so not wearing some sort of guard is not an option. I was very hesitant about trying it because no one seemed to be able to tell me what it was made out of or how durable it was. I was desperate for a new style of mask so I decided to give it a shot. Being a poor college student with no insurance to help out, spending $200 is a really big deal. Luckily, it was a great purchase for me.

I have found that this mouthpiece works just fine, at least for me. Although, I am about to have to switch it out because I have ground down the hard plastic and actually broken pieces off. If you are a "normal" teeth grinder, you can probably get away with 1 mouthpiece per year easily, and probably longer I would guess. I've had mine for about 9 months and though it's ugly and cracked where my teeth touch, it is still perfectly stable as far as holding the nose pieces in place. The only real reason I'm getting a new one is that I've broken off a piece and the part that remains is sharp.

As far as the actual materials it is made out of, I can't tell you specifically, but this is my observation. Where it attaches to the bracket thing, that is a hard plastic, made out of a similar type of clear plastic, if not exactly the same. This is also what the part that will form around your teeth fit in. So, it is similar to a Dr's Night Guard as far as the shape when you first get it (you can probably tell that from the pictures), but the stuff that forms around your teeth seems to be much more durable than I had anticipated. Like I mentioned, the only problem with my current mouthpiece is the hard plastic part, the stuff actually surrounding my teeth is perfect.

The only thing I would caution people about is the two corrugated tubes that actually go up to the nose pads. These are EXTREMELY flimsy!! Because of my PTSD, I move and thrash around A LOT in my sleep and if any part of it gets caught, these tubes will tear and they are about $30-$35 a pair to replace so it can get very costly. I repair them with electrical tape until they no longer work and then replace them, reinforcing the clamped area with the tape before use. Using this method, I have managed to only go through 3 pair, and I also tried vinyl tubing as an alternative, but find that even though it will work, the lack of flexibility actually makes it more difficult to sleep. I wish the small tubes were made out of the same material as the long tube that connects to the machine but I haven't been able to find any acceptable alternatives, and believe me, I've scoured hardware stores looking! :)

Anyway, I highly recommend the CPAP Pro and hope this information helps.

Oops, one other thing to add. I've noticed some people saying that if the pressure is up very high they have problems with it. My pressure is set at 18 and I have no problems with it, it just took some adjusting to get the tubes and nose pads the right distance and angle from the bracket.
justmalea

Postby indyfrank » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:32 am

ShineOn wrote:Sue, thanks for posting your experience.

I was wondering, I've seen mention that the exhaust ports are kinda noisy - not "whisper quiet" like they advertise. Is that true in your experience with the CPAP PRO?

The only other complaint I've found so far is that it's not as easy to get parts as it is for other interfaces. Probably because the manufacturer isn't one of the "big guns" like Respironics or Puritan Bennett so most apnea device providers don't resell it. My provider doesn't, and also said that another patient had talked them into ordering one for them and that patient returned it to them almost immediately. They didn't tell me why, though, but it's not a product they resell so of course they're not about to recommend it.

I suppose it's like anything else - there are folx that will love it and folx that will hate it. I think I'd like it but I'm still not ready to jump.
:evil: Please don't jump. I just got this no mask and will not be able to use it. The exhaust ports are VERY noisy, at least 10x more than the air noise from my current mask. The ports also blew air all over my face, it was the small air leaks on my current mask that I was trying to get away from . It was like someone blowing a compressor hose all over my face. I give you that a mask is uncomfortable but the no mask is intollorable. I gave it a try of about 1.5 hrs. and then gave up. Also sometimes the air would not come through the nose pieces, into my nose and I would be suffercating. Don't know why that should happen. I am just out $156, --Senior discount. :cry: I have had medic training, am mechanically inclined and very good at figuring how things work, so don't think I'm inept. I am very upset. :-x
indyfrank

Re: has anyone used or tried CPAP PRO?

Postby freight train9 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:22 pm

tldr: get one, it is awesome.
long version:
I got the Cpap Pro NoMask about a year ago. Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it by far the best mask I have ever used in 13 years of nightly cpap use? Absolutely!
My cpap pressure is 12 and the nomask handles the pressure just fine. If your nomask is noisy, your foam diffusers are out of position. It is very easy to tell as when they are correctly positioned the mask is quiet. When out of position the mask is very loud. After a few months I had to replace the diffusers after they got too stiff to function properly (quietly). Once I put on the new ones quiet returned. I am still on the first mouthpiece, second set of tubes (included) and second set of diffusers (also included) after a year of very happy use.
The most memorable thing about my first few nights with my new nomask was waking up looking for my mask! This mask is so comfortable that I couldn't feel it. Personally I need the mouth guard anyway and sleep apnea sufferers are highly likely to also suffer from teeth grinding anyway. I had all kinds of irritation from my otherwise comfortable swift and resmed masks due to the head straps. All of that is gone now. My first cpap had no humidifier and I used the over the nose style mask. Finally it broke and I got one with a humidifier and switched to the nasal puff style swift mask. Huge improvement on both fronts. The nomask is an equally large improvement in overall comfort.
I did find the stock medium size nasal puffs too small but you get one free size change which arrived quickly after ordering.
Unlike other masks, you don't "lube" up to use this mask. If you have anything slippery on your nose, the puffs tend to migrate somewhat. With normal skin they stay put nicely.
My cpap supply company is the problem. They won't order the nomask anymore. The representative agreed with me when I implied that the supplier probably was upset over the smaller profit margin. They are used to selling a $500 cpap machine to insurance companies for %1,500 and couldn't get that "double keystone" that they know and love for the nomask.
I decided to get their monthly parts subscription for a year to stock up on spare parts. I should get at least 2 or 3 years of parts before I cancel. With free shipping and around 35% discount, it seems like a good deal.
My $.02.
thanks for reading.
freight train9

Machine: resmed elite
Mask: cpap pro nomask
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Re: has anyone used or tried CPAP PRO?

Postby parismom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:41 pm

new cpap pro user, here.

just want to add myself to the mix. looking for more recent posts/reviews on this, and i will respond :-)

hoping that this unit is the final and successful solution.

abby
parismom

Previous

• Site Supporter