Full face mask caused permanent lines/wrinkles beware...

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Full face mask caused permanent lines/wrinkles beware...

Postby gwywnc » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi, I am 35 years old and have used a full face mask for around three months(from oct. 2012 to jan 2013) and it has left permanent lines on my face. The lines extend from my nose to the corner of my mouth and were not there before I started using the full face mask. I switched to nasal pillows and hoped the lines/wrinkles would go away but they have not. These lines are extremely noticeable to my wife, my mom, my brother and everyone who knows me. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? I am super stressed and self-conscious about them to the point that in june of this year im going to see a cosmetic surgeon to see what can be done. I really feel like suing resmed because i was never told that using there product would cause permanent changes to my face and if I was told that I would have NEVER used it! I have goggled it and found that im not the only one this has happened to. I would like to hear from other people thats had this happen and please no stupid responses about how vain I am because I know im vain and I know EVERYONE is, no one wants to go from looking 30ish to having super deep lines on there face like someone in there 50's. PS I can post pics if anyone cares to see exactly what im talking about...
gwywnc

Re: Full face mask caused permanent lines/wrinkles beware...

Postby 49er » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 am

gwywnc wrote:Hi, I am 35 years old and have used a full face mask for around three months(from oct. 2012 to jan 2013) and it has left permanent lines on my face. The lines extend from my nose to the corner of my mouth and were not there before I started using the full face mask. I switched to nasal pillows and hoped the lines/wrinkles would go away but they have not. These lines are extremely noticeable to my wife, my mom, my brother and everyone who knows me. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? I am super stressed and self-conscious about them to the point that in june of this year im going to see a cosmetic surgeon to see what can be done. I really feel like suing resmed because i was never told that using there product would cause permanent changes to my face and if I was told that I would have NEVER used it! I have goggled it and found that im not the only one this has happened to. I would like to hear from other people thats had this happen and please no stupid responses about how vain I am because I know im vain and I know EVERYONE is, no one wants to go from looking 30ish to having super deep lines on there face like someone in there 50's. PS I can post pics if anyone cares to see exactly what im talking about...

At the risk of proving a stupid response that you don't like, here goes. As one who is averaging 2 hours of sleep on my machine which is h-ll, if someone told me that in return for sleeping a full night on the machine and having a super productive healthy life, I would have to put up with permanent lines on my face as you described, I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

If people can't sue drug companies for horrific side effects, your chances of successfully suing Resmed are slim and none.

49er
49er

Postby jrinker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:20 am

Before going the plastic surgery route, you could try developing a really good skin regimen for your face. For instance, drink lots of water to keep your skin well hydrated. Also, take a trip to the cosmetic section with your wife, and check out good moisturisers and wrinkle creams. These have come a long way, and are quite effective. Yeah, kind of "girly", but if your appearance is important to you, it might be worth your time to try them out.

Also, as someone who is about to turn fifty nine years old, I can assure you that wrinkles and lines are not an inevitable consequence of age. Diet, sun exposure, stress, etc can all take their toll. I have known people in their eighties with lovely smooth skin, and people in their thirties whose skin looks like a desert. Don't put all the blame on the cpap mask.

Regards
jrinker
Resmed Vpap Adapt SV Enhanced, Respironics Fit Life total face mask, Forma full face mask.
Complex apnea, original AHI 80
jrinker

Machine: Resmed Adapt SV Enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby gwywnc » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi, thanks for the responses, Im not on a cpap machine for a good nights rest, I literally almost died one day from sleep apnea and im scared to go to sleep without it. 99.9% of people on cpap machines have never experienced what happened to me and believe me if i didnt have to be on it I wouldn't use it.
gwywnc

Postby DeeNJai » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:13 am

I have also noticed changes where the full face mask goes but I cant use the emollient cream I have prescribed because I cant get a seal on the mask if i do. I have only been using the mask since 9 April 2013 so very early days. I am waiting for a call back from the sleep unit because I am also having problems with rain-out which means I cant wear the mask or I have to take the mask off the tubing and then empty the tube into a bucket near the bed.
dee
REMStar Auto with A-Flex 4 - 20 cmH2o

Average 7 days AHI: 4.54
Average RERA: 1.42
Average SV#2: 17.43 a night
Average weekly leaks: 15.39%
90% Leaks: 20%
DeeNJai

Postby gwywnc » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:37 pm

I have switched from the face mask to nasal pillows. it works great for me. I was considering a truly full face mask that goes around above your eyes and below the lip, im happy so far with the nasal pillows but they seem to be loosing there firmness.
gwywnc

Postby shuh » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 am

Hi folks. I just now joined here after google searching on this topic, and I found all your responses interesting. Now I'll throw in mine - along with the complaint that sent me on this search.

I am 62, and I got my CPAP 2 years ago. Had to go with a full face Resmed because I can't keep my mouth shut when I sleep. I also dropped health insurance 2 years ago when my premiums skyrocketed, so I do not replace the silicon cushion on my mask. I keep it clean, AND I make flannel liners to go between my face and the cushion so I can use facial cream nightly. That part works fine.

When I'm not sleeping on my back, I'm usually on my left side, due to back injuries and surgeries. Gradually over the 2 years of CPAP, I have developed a deepening line on the left side of my face, outside my "mouth parenthesis." Yep, this line is where the flesh on the left side of my face HANGS and is interrupted by my mask when I sleep on my left side.

I'm not about to give up my CPAP, because that thing changed my life. I will believe what my doc says about my breathing stopping 100x an hour during my test, about the lack of oxygen shortening my life by increasing my risk of stroke or heart attack. But the first thing I myself discovered when I started on the CPAP was that my depression lifted. Oh my, what a radical change in attitude. Life changing.

SO. I hate the new line in my face. I would love any input from anyone who can help me arrest this trend in my face. Thank all of you for sharing your experiences.
shuh

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions