• Site Supporter

Falling asleep...

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Falling asleep...

Postby Bluevegas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:42 pm

I never had problems falling asleep and staying asleep before beginning to use the cpap machine. My life would be pretty nice if I didn't have this stupid sleep apnea. :p Now I lay awake for hours... I can't get comfortable on my side, and I'm not used to falling asleep on my back. I've tried melatonin, and I've actually had to use NyQuil for illness the last couple of nights. No help. Sleepy Time tea doesn't help either. My room is a good temperature, it's dark and quiet and I've banished the cat :( to the computer room at night for the time being. I get all cozy in pillows and blankets because I like to feel secure when I sleep. What has worked for people here when you've been learning to use this machine?

A couple of nights I have drifted off only to wake up an hour later, look at the clock and take the mask off. I vaguely remember doing this but I'm not thinking enough to force myself to NOT do it. It is hugely disappointing to realize the next morning that I only had the mask on for a short period of time. I feel like the first time I wake up to my alarm, or even 2 or more hours later, that it is going to feel better than Christmas morning when I was a kid! I will be so ecstatic at just having accomplished that much! How do I get there though?
Bluevegas

Machine: REMstar Pro 450P with C-Flex
Mask: Resmed Swift FX For Her
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: Falling asleep...

Postby dozeoff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 pm

It will take a little time to get used to it. It took me a couple of months (YIKES!). I started out wearing it for about an hour, then I would wake up and throw the mask and tube on the floor (heheh). As time went on, I lasted about two hours. Then eventually three. Finally, I was able to last the whole night and I am grateful I allowed myself the patience. Give yourself time. NOBODY that I know of can use CPAP therapy right away and be comfortable with it right out of the gate. I hear rumors about those people, but have never met one. That being said, if I were you, I would take small steps. Don't get frustrated. Just put it on for an hour.......then the next week, 2 hours, etc. If you allow yourself to get frustrated and try to do it all at once, you run the risk of never using your machine, and that would be bad.
dozeoff

Machine: Respironics PR System One Bi-Pap
Mask: mirage swift II
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby Todzo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Bluevegas wrote:I never had problems falling asleep and staying asleep before beginning to use the cpap machine. My life would be pretty nice if I didn't have this stupid sleep apnea. :p Now I lay awake for hours... I can't get comfortable on my side, and I'm not used to falling asleep on my back. I've tried melatonin, and I've actually had to use NyQuil for illness the last couple of nights. No help. Sleepy Time tea doesn't help either. My room is a good temperature, it's dark and quiet and I've banished the cat :( to the computer room at night for the time being. I get all cozy in pillows and blankets because I like to feel secure when I sleep. What has worked for people here when you've been learning to use this machine?

A couple of nights I have drifted off only to wake up an hour later, look at the clock and take the mask off. I vaguely remember doing this but I'm not thinking enough to force myself to NOT do it. It is hugely disappointing to realize the next morning that I only had the mask on for a short period of time. I feel like the first time I wake up to my alarm, or even 2 or more hours later, that it is going to feel better than Christmas morning when I was a kid! I will be so ecstatic at just having accomplished that much! How do I get there though?

Hi Blue!

I think the first step is to spend some quality time with the machine during the day. Watch TV, read books, work at the computer or whatever. With your conscious mind involved you will become better acclimated and so very likely have an easier time of it at night. It would also be good to practice being very relaxed without the CPAP, and then put on the CPAP and practice breathing the same amount of air as when very relaxed. CPAP tends to make us breath more air since inspiration is easier so it is good to learn to compensate for this.

I like to fall asleep listening to classical music or scripture. If I need to use an alarm to wake up I use very flat headphones, if not I use noise isolating ear buds which also keep neighborhood noise from disturbing my sleep.

I also like to sleep with a black beanie stretched over my eyes and actually stuffed into my CPAP straps in front. Room light changes do not bother me and the lack of light in my eyes and on my forehead help me to get to sleep.

Sometimes I do a few minutes on my treadmill just before bed. This makes for a lot of wonderful warm muscles which keep my core warm and help me fall asleep. On the nights that I do not do this I use my "always warm" hands to warm up my backside. I have found over the years that making your backside, stomach, and chest a bit warmer will often result in a very easy track to get to sleep. Those without warm hands I suppose could use the classic warm water bottles or such to get the parts warm without overheating them once sleep is started (I do not think heating pads are a good idea, for that matter in the olden days they used to take a pretty much hot metal pan an warm up parts of he bed before use - same idea I suppose).

May you find good sleep!

Todzo
AHI=52 SpO2 Nadir=55% (!!!) Focus & Vigilance problems w/PTSD from Trauma
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Pulse oximeter CMS-50-F, night audio recorded via Audacity or Linux “sox”. Zeo.
Todzo

Postby Resty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:28 pm

DOZE............you've met one now. LOL. I put mine on last June 16th and was off and running. I never had trouble with the mask or adjusting to the machine. I slept 6 hours every night for the longest time (which is 5 hours more than normal for me then) Nows a different story though (thats for another thread...check out my "You MUST Treat UARS/SDB/SA" thread

Anyway....I wish for you much success and sleep.
~Instead of waiting for your storm to pass why not learn to dance in the rain?

PR Pro One BiPAP w/Auto bi-flex (13/8)
O2 w/cold air humidifer
Mirage Quattro full face mask (sm)
Phillips Ever Flo-Q Ultra Quiet Stationary O2 Concentrator (2LPM)
Resty

Machine: PR Pro One Auto BiPap w/auto flex
Mask: Mirage Quatrro (sm), Quatrro FX
Humidifier: Yes, cold air, F&P
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Bons » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

My husband and daughter both slept through the night their first night and woke up feeling better than they had in years.
I HATE THEM. They also dropped below AHI's of 1, and I'm rarely below 3.

It took me a long time to get used to it, and I still wake up a couple of times during the week due to leaks or huge increases in pressure on my ASV.

But it's a mind over matter kind of thing and you just have to stick with it until it becomes the new normal for you. Most nights I can drop back to sleep quickly, while in the early months I'd lay awake fuming about being awake. You might want to make it harder to remove the mask while you are sleeping, such as braiding a pony tail through the headgear or using some kind of strap. Bobby pins make it harder, as might a papcap. Also, sleeping with your face at the edge of your pillow or using a buckwheat hull pillow that adjusts to the pressure from the mask sometimes helps.

And let your poor kitty back in the room....
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby Bluevegas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 pm

My dad started using his machine about a year ago and it took him 3 nights to get used to it. I'm so jealous! Of course at the time I hardly knew what sleep apnea was and had no clue I was suffering from it also. As for the kitty, he gets to come back in on the weekends. He's really bad about climbing on me and sniffing the tubing and mask and just bothering me. He has a bad habit of chewing flip flops and the soft parts of tennis shoes so he also has to be locked out of the room during the day! Afraid he will chew the straps and mask because he seems to like squishy stuff...

If I can just get throug the next two months, I will have all summer to practice with it. I think the main thing working against me is that I have to get at least 6 hours of sleep to just get through the next day, even if it isn't good sleep... That gets me anxious.

It's almost 10 and I'm getting super nervous already. I really appreciate everyone on this forum and especially those who replied with suggestions! I am going to try them all and see what works for me.
Bluevegas

Postby Bluevegas » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 pm

So I slept from 11 till 12:30 on Tuesday night. Woke up for a few minutes, put mask back on and slept until my alarm went off at 6:00am!!!! I was sooooo happy! I felt more alert than usual and was just in general good spirits. I didn't start getting exhausted and super foggy until around 2pm!
Last night, I fell asleep quickly at 10:45 but woke up at 2:30 with a HORRIBLY painful nose. It felt like I had slept with it crushed against a brick wall. My mask isn't too tight because I fixed that problem last time this happened. I guess I was sleeping with it crushed in my pillow? I sleep mainly on my side, but it's not uncommon to wake up on my stomach with my face crushed. I don't remember where I was when I woke up, just that I had this searing pain. Is this just something that comes with the territory? Will my body eventually stop moving to whatever position I was in to prevent this from happening? Hoping I'm not the only person to experience it!
Bluevegas

Postby Resty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Blue.........hang tough hun..........you will adjust. I had an actual sore on my nose for the longest time. I actually caught myself sleeping with one hand on the mask literally holding it off the bridge of my nose just a little. I quit it. I can sense any leaks now and adjust without even really waking up. You will eventually stop getting into a position that bothers the mask almost by osmosis alone. LOL

STAND STRONG and treat your sleep apnea
~Instead of waiting for your storm to pass why not learn to dance in the rain?

PR Pro One BiPAP w/Auto bi-flex (13/8)
O2 w/cold air humidifer
Mirage Quattro full face mask (sm)
Phillips Ever Flo-Q Ultra Quiet Stationary O2 Concentrator (2LPM)
Resty

Machine: PR Pro One Auto BiPap w/auto flex
Mask: Mirage Quatrro (sm), Quatrro FX
Humidifier: Yes, cold air, F&P
Year Diagnosed: 2011

• Site Supporter