Facial Hair

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Facial Hair

Postby JabMan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:14 am

Are there any problems with mask's sealing with facial hair?
I have a beard and would hate to have to shave it off.
JabMan

Postby CraigB » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:22 am

I have a goatee and use the nasal pillows without any trouble. I haven't tried a full face mask.
CraigB

Postby LRichard » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:21 pm

I had a beard before starting CPAP and shaved it off (as recommended by a technician) in order to use a full mask. The mask didn't work well for me, and I switched to an LT. I let the beard grow back, and all is well.
LRichard

Postby jrstout89 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:18 pm

I second the nasal pillow. I have a beard and use the Swift LT no problem. I also sleep on my side and have no problems with this mask.
jrstout89

Postby White Beard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:28 am

jabMan I have a full beard (santa style) I use the Respironic Fit Life FF mask, I wipe the seal on the mask with cpap citrus wipes to make sure it is super clean and then I wash my face really good with soap and water and I really wet and saturate my beard where the mask seal touches it, I dry just the skin and leave the beard wet and donn the mask, I get a very good seal and I have had the lowest leak rate that I have ever had using this mask this way! I shaved part of my beard one time but my pressure is so high it was just so uncomfortable that I just let it grow back! There has been several threads about masks and beards here is a link to one of them. Good luck to you! White Beard

http://www.apneasupport.org/viewtopic.php?t=24759
White Beard with a White Beard
Resmed VPAP Adapt SV Enhanced, HumidAire 2i, ResLink with Model 8000 Flex sensor Pulse Oximeter, and ResScan 3.5 software. Respironic EverFlo OPI Oxygen Concentrator 3 lpm
EEP 14.0, min PS 14.0, max PS 24.0, FitLife Mask
White Beard

Machine: ResMed VPAP Adapt SV enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: yes ResMed HumidAire 2iC
Year Diagnosed: 2007

Postby sleepmba » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:29 am

So, now we know nasal pillows work well with facial hair.

My 2 cents: In the sleep lab, nasal masks can seal well with facial hair. I've done this many times. On occasion, I've used nasal masks and gotten them to seal on me. I have facial hair as well.

Good Luck!
Registered Sleep Technologist with 10 years experience.
I also use CPAP.
sleepmba

Postby JabMan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:22 am

I Just had my second night using a nasal mask and it semed to work good. My beard is not full I have a goatee.
JabMan

• Site Supporter