Ear Ache/Infection With Mask Question?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Ear Ache/Infection With Mask Question?

Postby lisasister » Fri May 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Has anyone gotten an ear infection due to their CPAP masks? I haven't suffered from an ear infection since I was a kid and I haven't been able to wear either of my masks because my ear is sensitive to the air pressure. I am going to see my doctor next week to hopefully resolve the air leakage because I feel the pressure is too high. I hope he listens to me because neither him nor the techs who work with him truly understand. They keep insisting that I get used the full face mask, but it's so uncomfortable.
lisasister

Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: Ear Ache/Infection With Mask Question?

Postby greatunclebill » Fri May 25, 2012 9:47 pm

cpap pressure is not as high as you would think. what is your pressure? i doubt it causes the ear infection. i had a time when my ear popped when i put the mask on, but it wasn't caused by the pressure. the doc told me to use sudafed and it went away the first day. not telling you what to use, just saying what i was told and that it worked. definitely see your ent because you may have some other undiagnosed medical condition that is just now presenting symptoms for the first time.
greatunclebill

Machine: RP sys one auto w/a-flex model 550P
Mask: quattro fx full face
Humidifier: yes sys one
Year Diagnosed: 1990

Re: Ear Ache/Infection With Mask Question?

Postby emma_chase » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 am

I had this ear pain after my Titration Sleep Study. (Got my CPAP Rx on Friday so I haven't got my first machine yet.)

I also have left-sided TMJ which I find makes my left ear much more prone to congestion after a bug.

It makes me wonder if the Sleep Tech changing the CPAP pressures during the night aggravated my ear. The pain stayed for a few days.

Perhaps it is a plan to talk to the Sleep CLinic? Perhaps there are variables that can be changed (e.g. going down 1 point in pressure?).

As always, talk to your doctor and/or the technicians.
emma_chase

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions