Dry Mouth

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Postby sleland » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't want to add to anyone's worries, but I read on one of these forums about a patient who ended up with all kinds of cavities in her teeth after using CPAP for a while and having the dry mouth problem. Is there any documentation of this happening? I know with elderly folks, a dry mouth sometimes happens and can cause a lot of tooth problems (my mother-in-law had teeth just fall out!). Has anyone else heard of this or experienced this? Perhaps that one patient was just an aberration.
Severe sleep apnea diagnosed 4/2010
Resmed S8 Autoset II w humidifier
Swift LT for Her
Pressure set at 6 - 16
sleland

Dry Mouth

Postby ELew91 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Everyone is talking about dry mouth with just the mask that only covers the nose. I have a full-face mask and wake up after about 2 or 3 hours with a mouth so dry my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth. I've had the moisture setting as high as 3, but it has made no difference. My pressure setting is 13. Any suggestions?
ELew91

Postby Gig103 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 pm

sleland wrote:I don't want to add to anyone's worries, but I read on one of these forums about a patient who ended up with all kinds of cavities in her teeth after using CPAP for a while and having the dry mouth problem. Is there any documentation of this happening? I know with elderly folks, a dry mouth sometimes happens and can cause a lot of tooth problems (my mother-in-law had teeth just fall out!). Has anyone else heard of this or experienced this? Perhaps that one patient was just an aberration.

I had 12 superficial cavities after 6 months of BiPAP. I'm a mouth-breather with an oral-only mask. I only had the big ones fixed and I'm supposed to be using a fluoride rinse, but I don't because I'm lazy. I'm afraid for my next checkup since it's going to be expensive. The rinse is much cheaper but I'm thick-headed (took me 3 years to consistently use CPAP after first being Rx'ed).

As for the dry mouth I'm getting used to it, but I use a Xylimelt every night. I dunno if it's a placebo or not, because my cheeks puff up from the air and so it probably isn't doing too much, but on nights I don't have one the dry mouth seems worse. The nice thing about them is they have a bit of a loose adhesive on one side so you moisten it and it sticks to your gums.
Mike
104+ AHI
Respironics BiPAP Auto M series 10i/8e to max. 90% at 16i/11e
Masks: Oracle 452, Swift LT
Gig103

Postby Grandma » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm

I had the dry mouth problem at night before I went on CPAP. My dental hygienist noticed the problem with my teeth. They were starting to decay. My gums were getting bad, too. After I got my machine with humidifier and full face mask, the dry mouth problem went away. My dental hygienist noticed the improvement. However, lately, I am waking up with terrible dry mouth and I have my humidifier cranked all the way up. I don't understand what is happening. My mask is pushing against my lower jaw so I think maybe when I sleep, it pushes my jaw down and open. I have developed problems with my nose getting stuffy at night, too. My ENT told me to sleep with my head above my heart to prevent the swelling inside my nose. It seems to help the nose but I think it's making my mask even less effective and the dry mouth worse. I will see my new sleep dr. in January but am going to have a chance to try some different masks next week at a sleep center so I hope they can find something that fits me and is more effective. The sleep dr. says my ResMed Escape doesn't distribute humidity efficiently so she has something different in mind for me. I will have to do a home titration with an auto-PAP first, to figure out what my pressure needs to be.

There's prescription medication for dry mouth, Evoxac, but I didn't like the side effects. I also can't stand the after taste of a fluoride rinse or any of those over the counter things that are supposed to help with dry mouth.

It's not fun. Seems like there is always a problem to solve with sleep apnea and treatment.
Grandma
ResMed Quattro Full Face Mask
Proud and happy owner of a new Resmed S9 Autoset
Pressure range 8 to 20
Grandma

Postby maldds » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 pm

I too have dry mouth at night (I'm a mouth breather). I started using Biotene Oral Balance before bedtime. It works really well at maintaining moisture in your mouth. I'd highly recommend it.
Respironics REMstar Pro M Series
Respironics FitLife mask
maldds

more dry mouth

Postby Karieinky » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:49 pm

I have a couple of questions. I have been using a CPAP since July 08 when diagnosed with sosa--pressure 18. I use a Quattro Full Face and it worked really well as long as I replaced the headgear timely. I have always been a mouth breather and I am sure I don't close the mouth now. I do close it more than I did before CPAP because the mask keeps the face tight to a degree, but they still open partly. I have been having dry mouth issues lately but I thought it was because I ran out of water and went a while without using the humidifier. But last night I did use it and I woke up with dry mouth that continued most of the day and is relieved by drinking water or juice, but only for a bit.

Here are my questions:
1. I use the level 2 for the humidifier because I run out of water at higher levels. (I try to sleep at least 6 hours a night, preferably 8)
should I be trying a higher level?
2. Does it affect the water if it had been frozen and then thawed? I use only distilled water in my humidifier. But this morning, in
addition to the dry mouth, there was a strong smell in my nose--not unpleasant, kind of like the starch in shirts when we used to
iron. Should I use regular water(bottled, not tap, and not ever frozen) until I can get more distilled?
3. Does it make a difference that I moved from Florida to KY last December? The climate here is much different than Florida and
much more beneficial to my allergies and sinuses(no numidity to speak of, which really punished me these last several years) but
does that change how I should use the CPAP? I have had the dry mouth problem off and on but I figured that was because of
going too long between masks due to not having a DME here(I now have one). But should I talk to my doctor about that? I don't
have a sleep doc because my primary didn't like the attitude of the first one she sent me to(I didn't either) when he didn't want
a new titration since it has been two years since my last one and the machine I have has no data card or modem hookup to give
information on the sleeping. All it will say is the average hours I sleep a night.
4. Can anyone tell me what the humidifier does for you? Is it to keep the mouth and throat moist? Or is there some other purpose?
Karieinky

cavities

Postby Karieinky » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:53 pm

About dry mouth and tooth decay--it isn't just with CPAP. I am on at least one medication that warns about dry mouth being a side effect and that I should maintain good hygeine and contact with my dentist to reduce problems. So I carry Life Savors(also useful if I had a low blood sugar event, as I am a diabetic too) to have if I can't keep the mouth moist. I also carry to work a bag of different liquids(water gets boring and juices are fruits if they are 100%) to drink during the day. So it is not the CPAP that is the problem, it is dry mouth if it causes it. Or so I think.
Karieinky

Re: Dry Mouth

Postby Martynterry » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:01 pm

My husband has been using his bipap machine for a week. He only lasts 4 hours due to the extreme dryness in his throat.

Unlike the previous posts, he has the full face mask with a humidifier attached. He is up to 4 on the humidifier and is
at 14 for the air pressure. Even with the humidifier, he stops using it after about 4 hours because it is too dry.

Since he stops breathing every minute, according to his sleep study, I am concerned he will stop altogether and one
day will not wake up.

Any ideas as to help with the humidity to stop the dry mouth?

Thank you.
Martynterry

Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 am

Is your husband taking any medications? Some meds cause dry mouth. I'm just asking to rule out that possibility.

But as you're indicating, it's likely the air from the bipap. I use a bipap also, with my pressure at 18 and I too get dry throat, though I'm not a mouth breather and have the nose-only mask. Most humidifiers go up to settings of 5 or 6, has he tried the maximum setting? Some people when using the maximum setting will sometimes experience rainout, or the condition where the moisture condenses in the tubing and rolls back into the mask. That usually happens when the room air is cool, like in winter or sometimes air conditioning. If that happens and the high setting is needed and works, you can get hose covers from the supplier, or make cloth covers for the hose. There are even heated hoses for this purpose.

If these fail, there are over-the-counter products for dry mouth which might help, like Biotene and others. And there are stand-alone humidifiers that can be used in conjunction with his machine. Fisher & Paykel are known for their humidification, and a different one might work better. And another suggestion was offered earlier that might be possible if the doc would order switching machines so that his bipap is an auto bipap, meaning the pressures vary based on pressure needs at any given time.

Linda
The info provided on this site is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice.
You should not use info on this website to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider.
Linda

Postby Martynterry » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Thank you. I will try the biotene next.

Since he is a mouth breather, he has the full face mask. He was advised to get the unit with
the heated humidifier and that is the one he is using. He started at 2 and now to 4. Next step
will be 5.

We have a humidifier we used in our bedroom but they said if the humidity in the room is high,
the humidifier going to his machine will stop automatically as it will read the room as proper humidity.
So, I don't turn that one on with the bipap machine so he can get the best humidity. I have no dry issues
so I really don't need the one in the room.

With the full face mask, that would not help. The humidity from the room humidifier would not
get to him as well as the humidifier on his machine. He was also advised to use a saline nasal inhaler.
Has anyone used that to help with dryness?

As I mentioned, I will try the biotene next for him. I really don't want to wake up and he does not.
He has had it for years but finally went for the test and was diagnosed severe apnea. Said he never had
any REM sleep at all and stopped breathing every minute. Was scary to hear that.
Martynterry

Postby Martynterry » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Oh yeah, as for medications, he is on many.

He had a TBI 3 years ago so he is on several.
Metatoprolol, simvastatin, celexa, levothyroxine, and more.....
Martynterry

Previous

• Site Supporter