Dry Mouth

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Re: Drymouth....

Postby SDPhoto » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:57 am

Thanks for all the replies and info, all...

I'm on about week 4 with my CPAP, and the drymouth has been AWFUL! I didn't think it was as a result of opening my mouth, because I'd think I'd notice tht when I wake up. And the wierd thing is, I fell asleep on the couch last night while watching TV (no CPAP obviously), and woke up an hour or so later with.. you guessed it, drymouth! It's almost like my mouth and throat have adapted their 'position' or whatever during sleep since starting the CPAP that now I'm prone to the drymouth regardless... definitely wierd...

Love to hear some more peoples' suggestions as to what's worked for them....

-Thomas-
SDPhoto

Dry Mouth

Postby ronnietheace » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:49 pm

Does anyone have a cure for the dry mouth I experience using my BIPAP Machine. I had a CPAP machine with a humidifier for about 6 months, and the dry mouth wasn't as bad until I started using my furnace (home heat). I switched to a BIPAP machine with a humidifier about a week ago and my dry mouth got worse. It doesn't matter how high I turn my humidifier it is still the same. My dry mouth is so bad each morning I can bearly open my mouth.

Help!!!!!!!!!
ronnietheace

Postby fishbulb » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:42 pm

yes, I am very interested in any help I can get with this too, I am struggling to figure out a good solution.

I read a lot of what was posted and I find taping the mouth shut a bit more unnerving right now, I mean getting used to a machine on my face straped to my head is one thing, but also taping my mouth shut? I just don't know right now. I am only in the first week of using my CPAP so I have yet to have a good solid night of sleep and I anxiously await that night.
fishbulb

Postby BillB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:36 am

I've graduated from CPAP at a pressure of 17 to a BiPAP (VPAPIII) at a pressure of 23/19

I'm a mouth breather and I use a full face mask.

I get a really bad case of dry moth from using the BiPAP.

My dry mouth is so severe that my cheeks are sticking to my teeth and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth (no exaggeration).

I've changed my tooth paste and my mouth wash to those for people with dry mouth - I have a small spray by my bed side for wetting the mouth (it does a good job) - I use it several times a night and I also grab a drink of water several times a night.

If anyone has any suggestions to help alleviate this aggravating side effect, I'd really appreciate it.

As a side issue - you'd think the so called professionals who prescribe and supply this equipment would have some level of knowledge about it and its side effects - but based on my own experience, I haven't found anyone who has experienced knowledge.
BillB

Postby BillB » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:36 am

I've graduated from CPAP at a pressure of 17 to a BiPAP (VPAPIII) at a pressure of 23/19

I'm a mouth breather and I use a full face mask.

I get a really bad case of dry moth from using the BiPAP.

My dry mouth is so severe that my cheeks are sticking to my teeth and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth (no exaggeration).

I've changed my tooth paste and my mouth wash to those for people with dry mouth - I have a small spray by my bed side for wetting the mouth (it does a good job) - I use it several times a night and I also grab a drink of water several times a night.

If anyone has any suggestions to help alleviate this aggravating side effect, I'd really appreciate it.

As a side issue - you'd think the so called professionals who prescribe and supply this equipment would have some level of knowledge about it and its side effects - but based on my own experience, I haven't found anyone who has experienced knowledge.
BillB

Postby melhajj » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:22 am

it comes to my mind that aloe vera is use widely in mexico to treat burns and what this plant does is to hidrate the skin tissue; maybe if there is an oral spray with aloe vera solution it can help to lubricate your mouth; otherwise, you might try to get a regular bottle of spray and buy a bottle of aloe vera juice (usually they sell this juice in whole foods and walgreens) and pour it in the spray bottle and spray it on your mouth. i believe it might help you; also, i do want to tell you that the natural plant (this i have use on my skin for other kind of purposes and it seems to keep it hidrated) of aloe vera (which you can get the leaf in any supermarket) might help as well, you peel the outside skin (the green part) and the gel inside is what you can apply directly to your mouth, it creates a film on your skin; you will need only a 2 inches of the plant everyday to use it; it is not necessary to peel the whole plant; you can keep the rest of the plant in a plastic bag inside of the refrigerator.this gel is very different from the juice, the juice has water added to make it more drinkable; but the gel, it seems more appropiate for your case. i hope it helps. let us know.
melhajj

Re: Dry Mouth

Postby ToHellAndBack » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:28 pm

Dragster wrote:Hi

I am new to this site.

I have used my CPAP machine with heated humidifier for 6 nights. My pressure rating is 8. I do not use the RAMP. I seem to have a dry mouth each morning. Is this normal when using a CPAP machine?

Marshall

No its not normal. The dry mouth is most likely coming from mouth leak and/or mouth breathing. Its not normal and is a sign you are losing therapy benefits. Treatment for dry mouth in the morning consists of 1) chin strap added or 2) full face mask. Chin strap is iffy, works for some, but not a lot. Full face mask is a sure thing and as long as its the right sized mask and is adjusted correct, will restore the benefits of treatment.

Fred
"We don't need socialized medicine, what we need is insurance reform."

Resmed S8 Autoset Vantage, HumidAire 3i, Resmed Quattro ffmask
ToHellAndBack

Dry Mouth Solution that works for me.

Postby samckins » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:30 am

I have been using a Full face mask with my C-pap machine for about 5 months and every night I wake 2 to 3 times a night with that super dry mouth.
In the past I wake up, get a drink of water, then back to sleep till my mouth dries out again.
My machine has the humidifier and I have tried all settings.
Chin straps keep the jaw closed but not the lips, so the problem still occurs.

I was ready to quit using the C-pap all together. It was either wake up multiple time a night from the Apnea, or wake up multiple time a night due to the dry mouth.
For me the dry mouth was worse.

One desperate evening I taped my lips shut to see if it would make a difference.
I have read in multiple C-pap forums that this works for some people.
To my surprise it did work, but this was not a good solution for me as the tape really irritates the skin.

I read a solution on another forum that I tried last night and it worked, FINALLY!

I cut a zip lock bag into a 3 by 5 inch strip then place the plastic directly over just my mouth and put the mask on.
The mask holds the plastic in place all night and keeps my lips sealed like the tape did.

I know this sounds bizarre but the plastic kept my lips sealed and forced all the air into my nose.
For the second time since I got my C-pap (first time was with the tape) I woke without a dry mouth this morning.
and didn't wake up multiple time through the night.

Until someone designs a mask that seals the mouth, not just covers it, I will continue to use this plastic bag method.
samckins

Severe Dry Mouth

Postby CallingMrSandMan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:38 am

I have been using the CPAP for 5 days now. It seems like my dry mouth symptoms are getting very severe now. I don't remember having them the first couple days. I'm going to contact the office to see what can be done. I never use to wake up from my apnea but this is actually waking me up and my tongue is glued to my mouth! My pressure is set to 13. I'm wondering if I'm getting soft palette leak, as I have noticed I'm almost asleep when I feel pressure building up in my mouth. If that is the case i don't think there is much they can do. Suggestions? Either way, I have slept better in the past 5 days than anytime in the past 8 years. I feel like a MILLION BUCKS!
CallingMrSandMan

Postby dataguru » Sat May 15, 2010 9:40 pm

It's interesting. My old machine was set to 9atm and I never experienced dry mouth. Several months ago I got a variable pressure machine that's set to range from 9-20 atm. Since they I've been waking up periodically with my mouth totally dry. I've intentionally held my mouth open with the mask on to see if there is air leaking and I am not able to detect any leakage at the back of my throat but I think air has to be leaking into my mouth at nite for this to happen. I think that when the machine goes above a certain pressure, it starts leaking. I think I'm going to get them to reduce the top pressure it can hit gradually and find the lowest pressure above 9atm where it doesn't happen.

Betty
dataguru

Postby infoseeker » Sun May 16, 2010 10:41 am

Question: Can't your mouth open when wearing a full face mask and doesn't this negate some of the benefit of the therapy? If your mouth opens with a full face mask, then isn't dry mouth inevitable because the air is going into the mouth? My Dad just tried the FitLife full face mask and it even covered his eyes! I'm shocked that a mask would cover the eyes and provide the possibility of air in the eyes when you open your eyes. Dad said he didn't notice the air in his eyes but still....He eliminated that mask after one night's wear due to multiple leaks.

Are you saying that it might be necessary to wear a chin strap with a full face mask?
infoseeker

Postby sleland » Sun May 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I haven't had the dry mouth problem in the month I've been using CPAP, but a chin strap that fits with a full face mask would help with my leakage problems. When I end up on my back and the pressure ramps up, I get leaks at the corners of my mouth because my chin sags down. It only happen when the pressure if up, so I assume I'm in a deep sleep where the apneas are occurring and thus very relaxed. Does anyone know of a chin strap that fits around/below a full face mask? The only ones I've seen cup the chin and would interfere with the bottom of the mask.
sleland

dry mouth

Postby ewill » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:57 pm

I have also been getting dry mouth a lot , i have been on bipap now since feb. , the dry mouth just started recently. I also keep something to drink now next to me. Today i was fitted with a full mask (covers both mouth and nose). So we shall see how that works, but i was wondering if anybody also gets headaches, i explained to my doctor that i get headaches and my memory seems to be getting worse, and that i don't feel any better, they told me that my oxygen was down to 83 percent , i am also waking up a lot at night still. Maybe i am sleeping with my mouth open ? At least it seems that way to me. I never thought that sleep apnea could cause so many problems. Oh well, good luck to everybody.
ewill

Postby BillH2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:39 pm

I am in the same boat and along with the dry mouth, I had was extremely congested, almost like a severe chest cold. Using a nasal mask, I wake up two or three times in the middle of the night and my mouth and throat feels like I was French kissing the Sahara desert. I had to have a bottle of water next to my bed to relieve this. Tried a number of things including a chin strap. That worked, but it was extremely uncomfortable wearing it. I used a full face mask which solved all the problems except for the fact that the full face mask I was rolled into is a real P.O.S. but that's another story.
Good luck, hang in there.
To Error is Human but to REALLY screw things up
YOU NEED A COMPUTER!

The beatings will continue until morale improves!
BillH2

dry mouth

Postby ewill » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:38 pm

i tried the full face mask , but it was a pain, i guess i am having the same problems from before i got a bipap. The people at the doctors office (va) told me that i was still waking up at night , at least 5 times a night, so now i have to go to a sleep clinic. The dry mouth seemed to go away but the mask was real noisy, every time i breathed in it was real loud. Anyway that seems to be life with apnea, just have to keep working on it. Good luck
ewill

PreviousNext

• Site Supporter