• Site Supporter

Does an Oral Appliance really work for UARS?

This forum is for the discussion of approved dental devices.

Does an Oral Appliance really work for UARS?

Postby maddie37 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 pm

I was recently diagnosed with Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome and the doctor recommended an oral appliance. Unfortunately, my insurance denied the claim and now I have to decide whether or not to invest approx $2k in it (that I honestly don't have to spend at the moment). I wanted to know if it really does make a meaningful impact on UARS? I am in my late 30's and while healthy in many ways... am chronically exhausted with persistent hormonal imbalances and mild chronic infections. I'm just not sure what to do next. If this device makes a huge difference, I'll find a way to pay for it. I'm just not sure if it's truly worth the investment. Does anyone have any insights?

Very confused, tired, and not sure what to do next...

Thanks!
maddie37

Re: Does an Oral Appliance really work for UARS?

Postby pam450 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:05 am

You may want to try a new "trial" oral appliance named ApneaRx. it is FDA approved for sleep apnea. It is an affordable (under $200) boil and bite device that is adjustable by 1 mm increments just like the $2,000 devices. It requires a prescription and it has a no risk quarantee. It comes is one size and may be too big for many females. If your doctor does not provide it - there are several national internet retailers that carry it. It may let you know if a more expensive custom oral appliance is a good option. Since your insurance does not cover it, ApneaRx may be a good temporary option for you. Good luck!!
pam450

Machine: ResMed
Mask: ResMed
Humidifier: Rewsmed
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby Limeygurl » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Be aware ApneaRx is identical to SnoreRx. One says you need a prescription the other does not. The picture and description of the device are identical!
Limeygurl

Postby a.b.luisi,d.m.d. » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 pm

maddie37 wrote:I was recently diagnosed with Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome and the doctor recommended an oral appliance. Unfortunately, my insurance denied the claim and now I have to decide whether or not to invest approx $2k in it (that I honestly don't have to spend at the moment). I wanted to know if it really does make a meaningful impact on UARS? I am in my late 30's and while healthy in many ways... am chronically exhausted with persistent hormonal imbalances and mild chronic infections. I'm just not sure what to do next. If this device makes a huge difference, I'll find a way to pay for it. I'm just not sure if it's truly worth the investment. Does anyone have any insights?

Very confused, tired, and not sure what to do next...

Thanks!

I am a dentist working in dental sleep medicine. A quality oral appliance, like the TAP3 is quite effective in treating UARS. Remember, UARS is considered to be a milder condition than obstructive sleep apnea. The TAP 3 has quality efficacy tests showing about 84% effectiveness in treating mild to moderate OSA and should do at least that well or better against UARS. And if you are willing to consider some small ENT procedures like turbinate reductions(if your nasal patency is poor) the success rate can get very close to 100%. Be aware that boil and bite appliances are much less effective than a quality custom made device, so a failure with a boil and bite does not necessarily prove that a custom appliance will not work. However, conversely, if a cheap boil and bite does work, it virtually guarantees the the better grade appliance will work too.
a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

• Site Supporter