Did CPAP improve your stuffy nose/allergy/sinus problems?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Did CPAP improve your stuffy nose/allergy/sinus problems?

Postby sleepygrump » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Please if you have experience with this, dont just read the post, detail your experience to help others.

It occured to me maybe my allergy and sinus issues might be related to apnea (seeing as I have had them both start same time). I have tried everything to fix the allergy issues. Allergy tests, nasal sprays, steroids, anti biotics, saline irrigation, surgeory. Nothing has improved it.

Then it occured to me, maybe if I was breathing filtered air via a cpap, the inflamation and allergy issues might get a bit better. Maybe that would be another benefit to cpap ! But then I have read others who have said it made them more stuffy in the nose.

I could be totally wrong though?

So what has your experience been?

* this is not a thread about me complyign to cpap so please stay on topic, thanks.
sleepygrump

Postby CAAnn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:28 am

Ihad sinus surgery about 10 years ago and haven't had any serious problems since. I do irrigate when I feel I need it. I am new to cpap about 2 weeks. I have had sinus problems everyday since I started using my cpcp. I have been experimenting with the humidity and finally found a setting I feel comfortable with. I have had to irrigate my sinuses more than normal lately. I do believe it is because of the cpap.

I am not quiting just because sinusproblems. I am in this for the long haul. I will feel better soon!

Ann
CAAnn

Postby jrinker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:19 am

When I first started cpap, I thought that I'd never be able to use a nasal mask, as my nose was always stuffed up. So I did a saline rinse every night before bedtime, and turned the humidifier up fairly high at night.

Much to my surprise, it worked. Night after night, my congestion would improve, and it also started to be less congested during the day as well. Now, I almost never use the rinse, and my sinuses are fine, day and night. I guess that breathing filtered and humidified air every night has allowed my sinuses to get cleaned out and stay clear. And this is despite having my dog (who sheds like crazy!) sleep on the bed!

So, I guess the short answer to you is Yes, for me the cpap has been a tremendous help in controlling congestion/allergies.

Hope this helps
jrinker
Resmed Vpap Adapt SV Enhanced, Respironics Fit Life total face mask, Forma full face mask.
Complex apnea, original AHI 80
jrinker

Machine: Resmed Adapt SV Enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby Dolphy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:17 pm

CPAP has certainly helped my sinus/allergies 100%! I take allergy meds everyday of the year and I use flonase everyday. Before the CPAP even with my allergy meds, I would still wake up all congested with headaches and just plain miserable! I was actually shocked how much it has helped my congestion! It was almost from day 1, I had the congestion cleared up! I still take my meds, because without them I would be sick. But every morning after sleeping with the CPAP and humidifier all night, I am not congested and I haven't woken up with a headache since I started CPAP. I have only been using it for about 1 1/2 months now. I also have oxygen being piped into the CPAP too. So hopefully you will see a big improvement also. I just need to get a different mask though, everytime I turn, I have to readjust my mask because it starts leaking. I am hoping to get nasal pillows next with a mask for my mouth also (Hybrid I think is what they are called) I have been a mouth breather for soo long since my nose was always stuffy! But I am very happy with my CPAP
Phillips Respironics Remstar (with Ramp) with Remstar heated humidifier, System One. My setting is 10.
Dolphy

Re: Did CPAP improve your stuffy nose/allergy/sinus problems

Postby Todzo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:28 pm

sleepygrump wrote:Please if you have experience with this, dont just read the post, detail your experience to help others.

It occured to me maybe my allergy and sinus issues might be related to apnea (seeing as I have had them both start same time). I have tried everything to fix the allergy issues. Allergy tests, nasal sprays, steroids, anti biotics, saline irrigation, surgeory. Nothing has improved it.

Then it occured to me, maybe if I was breathing filtered air via a cpap, the inflamation and allergy issues might get a bit better. Maybe that would be another benefit to cpap ! But then I have read others who have said it made them more stuffy in the nose.

I could be totally wrong though?

So what has your experience been?

* this is not a thread about me complyign to cpap so please stay on topic, thanks.

Hi sleepygrump!

I have had allergy and sometimes sinus issues life long.

I was diagnosed with OSA in late 2003 and received my first CPAP machine shortly after that time.

I think my nose did enjoy the time when I first got my CPAP machine. It is filtered, humidified air – what is not to like when the machine is new. As time went on, however, and especially during the fall and winter my nose was less happy with it. As I thought about it the two micron filter, even if it is 100 % effective will still let some dust and organics through – and inside the machine is sound deadening foam, air flow limited spaces, and of course the static ladened moving fan where those dust and orgainc particles can and do build up. Add a bit of moisture from the winters we have here and I suppose a good crop of mould, fungus, and bacteria is what you would find in there.

I understand, from experiances related on these forums, that one can have the DME clean the inside guts of the machine. I really resent using a DME and I know they would not want to clean the machine more than once a year so I needed to come up with a better way. Ozone, that wonderful stuff that makes sunney days and “just after the lightning storm” smell so fresh is also a very good oxidizer and disinfectant. So I bought an ozone based “air purifier” unit made for a car (to plug into the lighter) and connected it to a 12v power supply to it run from AC power (I believe that a bathroom air purifier could be used without having to jury rig a power supply). I then placed it and my CPAP machine into a plastic tub. With both units on and the air from the mask pointed at the “air purifier” both being located near the air inlet of the CPAP I lightly placed the cover on the tub and let them both run for a couple of hours. I then removed the CPAP machine and let it run in the open air for a couple of hours. For that matter, the CPAP was run with the humidifier dry. Thus treated the machine smells fresh for several days and the buildup of junk that seems to upset my nose seems to take from 6 to 12 weeks. It does seem to make my nose happier.

I think my first few years on CPAP were less than effective in treating my OSA. The pressure was set too low so the therapy would work if I was not stressed, but if I bacame stressed the added inflammation and lack of nighttime muscle tone due to fatigue made for respiratory events even though CPAP was being faithfully used. Knowing what I do now, I also believe that the times of stress also resulted in an upset tummy which expressed itself by pushing excess stomach acid ladened juices up into my airway passage. Ah yes, even more inflammation now adding a dulling of the affected sensory and muscle tone nerves in the airway passage, and so much less effective CPAP therapy of course. The work I had was stressful and sometimes went for two weeks at a time without a break. Allergery symptoms got a lot worse. I found that I got through these longer times of work a bit better if I used a bit of over the counter cold medicine at night a few days in to the long work stint. It would have been a better choice, I think, to monitor my therapy more closely (like, get the software and use it), find and treat the GERD (I now raise the head of my bed), and spend more time doing exercise and nutrition.

Until recently, I have used Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray to help with the allergy symptoms. Well, my left eye started to get cloudy and, from my reading, I know that this nasal corticosteroid tends to cause cataracts so I stopped using it. Perhaps it is that my machine is clean and fresh, and/or that my GERD is treated, and/or that I watch and make sure my CPAP therapy is working well, and/or that my diet and exercise is improved. Whatever it is, I really do not miss the Nasal Spray and my eye has cleared up a bit.

May we find good health!

Todzo
AHI=52 SpO2 Nadir=55% (!!!) Focus & Vigilance problems w/PTSD from Trauma
CPAP since 2003 Respironics REMstar Auto A-flex with EncoreViewer and SleepyHead SW
Pulse oximeter CMS-50-F, night audio recorded via Audacity or Linux “sox”. Zeo.
Todzo

Postby Grateful! » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I still have allergy problems especially in the morning. But I am able to use my nasal mask so that is the most important. I use sprays, etc.
Grateful!

Machine: Remstar m-series cpap
Mask: comfort gel
Year Diagnosed: 1997

Postby Resty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey Grumpy.

I have horrendous allergies.....as of the last few years.........NONE prior though. Now my allergists jokingly ( I THINK) says Im allergic to the freakin air. I have chronic sinus infections and have had my sinuses stripped. I had always had a stuffy nose to the point that I always sound like I have a cold...with a deep voice and being a woman its not cool ya know? I used to wake in the night / wee mornings hours gagging on the drainage and with an exceptionally dry mouth to the point that my teeth felt stuck to my lips. I was also mostly a mouth breather.

I was diagnosed with very severe sleep apnea.......I think they said it was a combination of the two a couple months ago. 3 weeks ago I started therapy with a BiPAP....settings of 13/8 with an added Cold air humidifier with O2. Ive been cautioned to never ever sleep without either the BiPAP or at the very least O2 running. My AHI was over 100.....I was waking every 2 minutes or less. Out of 7 hours of sleep....I actually only "SLEPT" 90 minutes (Im trying to remember what all theyve told me..because Ive only gotten bits and pieces of the story)

Anyway..........all that to say.......once I started the BiPAP and accoutrements I now sleep a SOLID 6 hours........every single night. I have no stuffy nose, no drainage and so far NO sinus infection. I already feel better than I have in a year. Im more clear thinking sounding and feeling. I still have the damn deep musky voice...but it's clear and not raspy. I dont experience the foggy issues I used to have at work. I no longer wake with fiery blazing headaches or gagging. My chronic pain issues and "fibromyalgia" have been reduced at least by half. My pain meds that Ive lived on the last year or so have been cut to a third of what I had been taking. My eyes are no longer more red than blue.....and they dont drip all the time so I dont looked stoned, drunk or hungover when I go to work. LOL. During the day I dont experience the full nose or sinus facial pain. I also dont take allergy meds right now because of the reduction.

I hope the same for you...........a reduction in your allergies and sinus.

~Resty
~Instead of waiting for your storm to pass why not learn to dance in the rain?

PR Pro One BiPAP w/Auto bi-flex (13/8)
O2 w/cold air humidifer
Mirage Quattro full face mask (sm)
Phillips Ever Flo-Q Ultra Quiet Stationary O2 Concentrator (2LPM)
Resty

Machine: PR Pro One Auto BiPap w/auto flex
Mask: Mirage Quatrro (sm), Quatrro FX
Humidifier: Yes, cold air, F&P
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby Grateful! » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Wow that is fantastic. I wish i could say the same. I sleep 8 hours with my cpap with
The humidifier set only on one because i get too hot at night. I think my sinuses are better in winter.
I have been vacuuming under the bed and cleaning theold dirt and dust on the ducts and pipes in basement.
Big job. I am just so grateful after4 years i am sleeping every night with my msk!! I feel good.
Grateful!

Machine: Remstar m-series cpap
Mask: comfort gel
Year Diagnosed: 1997

Postby sleepygrump » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 pm

very helpful post, thank you all very much for sharing.
sleepygrump

Postby CraigB » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 pm

I went from always having a stuffy nose, before CPAP, to always being able to breath through my nose after using the machine. The effect carries through the whole day. I thought I was the only one...
Resmed S9 Elite
H5i Humidifier
Swift FX Nasal pillows
CraigB

• Site Supporter