• Site Supporter

Diagnosed mild apnea...Do I need to use the CPAP?

This area is for discussion of Sleep Studies used in the evaluation of Sleep Apnea.

Diagnosed mild apnea...Do I need to use the CPAP?

Postby dave43 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:44 pm

I had a sleep study awhile back and the doctor said I had a very mild case and he was hesitant to prescribe a CPAP but eventually did. I have had a very difficult time using the machine but lately my wife says my apnea has gotten a lot worse. I will post my results (let me know if I'm missing anything) Please let me know if I should be making more of an effort to treat myself. Thanks.

time in bed-243 min
sleep time-133 min sleep eff-54.7%
# of awakeings-13
% Stage N1-26.3
% Stage N2-68.8
% Stage N3-4.9
% Stage R-0
Sleep latency-64
latency to 10 min sleep-99 baseline Sa02-96
Respiration rate awake-66
rate asleep-54-66
Arrytmias-PAC's, bigeminy

Average Sa02 minimum-93
lowest Sa02-87
Wake baseline Sa02-96

obstructive apneas nrem and sleep-14
oa index-6.3
average duration-19.7 longest duration-31.3

hypopnea events nrem and sleep-27 index-12.2
average duration-21.9 Longest-31.3

no mixed apnea

Non-Apneic breathing related arousals
events nrem and sleep-64 BRA index-28.9

Total AHI-22.6

Notes-abnormal study due to sleep fragmentation induced by episodes of abstructive sleep apnea with an apnea/hypopnea index of 23/hr associated with mild desaturation (lowest=87%) No REM and very little slow-wave sleep occured during this portion of the study.
dave43

Re: Diagnosed mild apnea...Do I need to use the CPAP?

Postby Daniel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:58 pm

I had a sleep study awhile back and the doctor said I had a very mild case and he was hesitant to prescribe a CPAP but eventually did. I have had a very difficult time using the machine but lately my wife says my apnea has gotten a lot worse. I will post my results (let me know if I'm missing anything) Please let me know if I should be making more of an effort to treat myself. Thanks.

First off, an AHI of 22.6 is Moderate Apnoea............not mild.........and certainly not very mild.
Might be time to check out a new doctor.

time in bed-243 min
sleep time-133 min sleep eff-54.7%
# of awakeings-13
% Stage N1-26.3
% Stage N2-68.8
% Stage N3-4.9
% Stage R-0

Sleep efficiency is poor, but this is often the case with sleep studies.
Your sleep architecture is very disrupted.

In short, too much N2, not enough N3 (usually 20%) and no REM Sleep (usually 20%)
The lack of sufficient N3 sleep usually leads to excessive daytime sleepiness.

Sleep latency-64
latency to 10 min sleep-99 baseline Sa02-96
Respiration rate awake-66
rate asleep-54-66
Arrytmias-PAC's, bigeminy

Can't really help you here........there may be a typo.

Average Sa02 minimum-93
lowest Sa02-87
Wake baseline Sa02-96

Your oxygen desats aren't too bad..........but should be better.
Your desats (while being treated) should get up above 95% average.

obstructive apneas nrem and sleep-14
oa index-6.3
average duration-19.7 longest duration-31.3

hypopnea events nrem and sleep-27 index-12.2
average duration-21.9 Longest-31.3

no mixed apnea

Non-Apneic breathing related arousals
events nrem and sleep-64 BRA index-28.9

Total AHI-22.6

Moderate Apnoea.

Notes-abnormal study due to sleep fragmentation induced by episodes of abstructive sleep apnea with an apnea/hypopnea index of 23/hr associated with mild desaturation (lowest=87%) No REM and very little slow-wave sleep occured during this portion of the study.

Same observations as above.

Sleep apnoea will deteriorate as long as it is left untreated.
Why did you have a sleep study in the first place ? There had to be a reason, and I suspect it may have been sleepiness during the day.
You need to get on CPAP, ASAP so that your condition can be treated..........it will continue to deteriorate and your risk of having a road traffic accident increases approx. 8 fold, your chances of having a stroke also increase, hypertension, diabetes, glaucoma etc etc all increase.

This is a condition, whether mild/moderate or severe, that should not be taken lightly.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby RAM_Sleep » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Honestly, this is not the entire picture of your sleep because didnt enter REM sleep. While it may appear that you have mild/moderate sleep apnea, an assumption could be made that with an hour of REM sleep, your AHI may even bump into the severe category. It is possible that youd see drastic oxygen desaturations as well.

I also do not see any data regarding body position, to see if positional therapy will help. However, even if the data exists somewhere, the picture is far from complete without the recording of REM sleep.

You can always think that there are errors in scoring, etc. however a sleep study report will hardly ever indicate that. Unless you are 90 years old and have 75% stage III, then youd have to actually get a copy of the recorded data...which can be a daunting task. Then you have to find someone to re-score it.

Next, you may want to post the titration report as it is the most important of the 2. If you are still having respiratory events, then you may want to call the DME or as YOU stated... make more an effort to treat yourself...which i will assume means finding alternate care. The forum does not want agreement on self therapy, so we'll go with that.

Good luck !
RAM_Sleep

Postby dave43 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks guys...I know I should be using the cpap if not only because my wife says I am getting worse. Being human I was only looking for acknowledgement that my case is bad enough to try harder at tolerating the treatment.
dave43

AHI high enough to REQUIRE CPAP if you were a truck driver..

Postby truckerdad57 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Dave,

Just to validate what the others posted.. if you were a commercial motor vehicle operator - AKA truck driver, with OSA and those sleep study results.

You would have been taken out of service... you would be considered unqualified to drive until you had at least one week at home on CPAP.. showing compliance through a download of your data card.

So.. yes... you need to keep trying on tolerating the treatment. Think about going to an A. W. A. K. E. meeting. It's a network of OSA patient support groups. Talking to other folks who have been through the same kinds of issues can help.

There is a forum on the board that lists A. W. A. K. E. chapters to find one near you.
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

• Site Supporter