Dental Devices

This forum is for the discussion of approved dental devices.

Dental Devices

Postby efgrandi » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:23 am

In the interest of understanding approved oral appliances, please post your questions and comments here.
efgrandi

WHERE TO GET MONEY TO PAY FOR APPLIANCE

Postby pmg07ca » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:20 pm

It's really hard when someone is on a disability and can't get this device or any assistance or help in this area. I hope someone can advise me on what to do next.
HELP! would be greatly appreciated because i would like to have a longer and more fulfiling life transitioning into my golden years.
:roll:
pmg07ca

Re: Dental Devices

Postby lulu » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:22 pm

what devices are available?

[quote="sleepapnea_ed"]In the interest of understanding approved oral appliances, please post your questions and comments here.[/quote] :-? :-?
lulu

Re: Dental Devices

Postby painless » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:27 pm

lulu wrote:what devices are available?

sleepapnea_ed wrote:In the interest of understanding approved oral appliances, please post your questions and comments here.
:-? :-?

I tried a device called "Snore Guard" (info@snoreguard.com) and it worked great for me at first. After a while, though, I had symptoms recur (with a vengence) and ended up needing CPAP. The Snore Guard was fashioned by a local dentist's office taking a mold of my mouth, sending it into the company, then they created it for me. It cost $400 (custom) about 12-15 years ago, so I'm not sure what it will cost now.

lightsoundcbc@yahoo.com
painless

Postby Kent Smith » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:05 pm

Devices available include my 3 favorites: OASYS, TAP-2 (or TAP-T) and the Somnomed MAS. There is also the Silencer, the Silent Nite, the EMA, the Herbst, the Klearway and many others (over 90 are FDA approved). The best one for you would depend on several things. Find a dentist who has been doing this for a long time so they do not simply slap in a device and let you go. There is MUCH more to this than a quick fix.
Kent Smith DDS, D-ABDSM
Kent Smith

AveoTSD

Postby WrongwayMan » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:05 pm

I am in the unenviable position of purchasing (out of pocket) a new CPAP machine. My old one will last a bit longer but is 8 yrs old and the bearings are going. I have seen the posts on the AveoTSD and consider myself forewarned. As I live in Canada, which ALWAYS accepts new treatments after American FDA approval, this device looks to be compliant at this time. I will be trying it, and using a blood oxymeter(with alarm) during use for the first week. As well, I will also try it sitting in my easy chair during the evening, with my wife around. She is the person who first detected my Apneic misadventures. ENTs are not readily available on a timely basis here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and do not perform a thorough diagnostic job, as has been my experience. Normal MDs don't know a heck of a lot about Sleep Apnea and do not care to learn, in my opinion. Especially since there will be no commission on drugs forthcoming.

Who me BITTER? Yep. You betcha.

Have I left anything out? I need all considerations attended to before test-piloting this device. (BTW, forget medical or dental fitment, it does not exist for non-lucrative devices here in this medically greedy area of Canada, heretofore being known as Dirkadirkastan.
WrongwayMan

hello wrongwayman

Postby malcolm » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

any more opinions on aveotsd?
as a fellow edmontonian I am very interested to hear your experinces.
not sure why this forum is so hostile something that may help.
aveotsd may be a crock but there is nothing wrong with some discusion.
malcolm

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:44 pm

Here is the scoop on AveoTSD

#1 it is ONLY approved to help SNORING (without a sleep study with the device in, feeling fine does not mean that you are treated correctly! I know if I paid a over a hundred bucks for something, I would be inclined to feel fine too whether it made a difference or not. Additionally, someone that decided that it might be a good cure found that he had desats down to 89% while using this device, but did not see the same with CPAP. If it treats it as well as CPAP, why the desat?)

#2 there are a lot of folks that seem to have a vested interest in promoting this as a CURE for OSA (they even tout it as FDA Approved! Of course they neglect to mention that its NOT approved for OSA, JUST SNORING!)

#3 The people promoting it log in as multiple users making it appear that LOTS of different people are "cured" (IP addresses don't lie...)

Get a sleep study done with it in, and PROVE that it actually takes care of something other than snoring and we would be a lot more interested in hearing about it. Until then because of the method of repeated advertising by shills, we take a dim view of it here.
Mike

Machine: Respironics Remstar Auto
Mask: Resmed Swift
Humidifier: Yes, Aussie Heated Hose
Year Diagnosed: 2005

Postby Kent Smith » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:29 am

Get to Calgary and let Dr. John Remmers (a pulmonologist) take care of you. You won't find a better caretaker. Oh, and by the way, he coined the term "sleep apnea". As far as the Aveo, I mentioned it in a talk I gave today, and did discuss it as a possible arrow in our appliance quiver. For example, when someone is in orthodontics, or with an edentulous patient, this could be used, but without a sleep study while using it, there is no way to know the efficacy, even with a bed partner supplying a blow-by-blow synopsis of the night.
Kent Smith DDS, D-ABDSM
Kent Smith

procrastinator is me.

Postby WrongwayMan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:14 pm

I haven't yet committed to purchasing the Aveo. Mike is right. IP addresses don't lie. Unfortunately, all kinds of people lie. This includes some members of a former God-like group that we now refer to as Doctors. Present company most certainly EXCLUDED. A sleep study is not something that I have ever had access to. However, I'm uncertain that a clinical study in a strange bed wouldn't be of too much value, at least for THIS patient. I HAVE had several home studies and they have proven satisfactory in diagnosis and occasional titration. My uncorrected pulse ox gets down into the low 60's.
If I test-pilot the Aveo, My pulse ox alarm will be set quite high. I am thinking that even if it doesn't work to prevent apneic events, I may use it in conjunction with the CPAP so that I won't be snoring while on my back. (that'll bring my sleeping positions to 2 possible, as I have had surgery on my right shoulder and must now only sleep on my left side.)

When I tell people that my compliance is 100%, they congratulate me. It is not cause for congrats, because I am unable to sleep lying down without the pressurized air. I awake every minute, gasping for air. Hell of a way to spend the night.

Malcolm, I use Parkland Resp for my DME provider, here on the Southside. I recently looked into an F&P machine that was to cost $1350-. Online, the same machine can be shipped for less than $500-. Of course, consultation, etc. isn't included, but I am an old hand at this CPAP stuff, and I can always go in with any questions and get them answered for free.

In any event, remember to eschew obfuscation.
WrongwayMan

Does anyone know if the TAP is FDA approved?

Postby beth1954 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:31 pm

That is what my insurance company is asking me....

Thanks.
beth1954

Does anyone know if the TAP is FDA approved?

Postby Kent Smith » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:49 pm

It certainly is. My favorite is the TAP3.

Hey Wrongway, have you used any other home monitors besides a pulse oximeter?
Kent Smith DDS, D-ABDSM
Kent Smith

Postby WrongwayMan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:04 pm

i have used the positional sensor, for monitoring sleeping position, but besides that and the pulse ox, nothing.
WrongwayMan

Postby Kent Smith » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:18 pm

You might try one of the models that also checks AHI/RDI levels to see how you are doing. Any Class 3 monitor should do this.
Kent Smith DDS, D-ABDSM
Kent Smith

oral appliances

Postby ilshapira » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:18 pm

The best to sites to see available appliances are quietsleep.com and ihatecpap.com.

The TAP 1 is the easies to titrate with in the sleep lab and is most successful in my experience for severe apnea. Position is more important than appliance used and TAP 1 is best to find that position. Once a treatment position is found that position can be used with any appliance.

I am partial to IHATECPAP site because it is mine

Ira
ilshapira

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to Sleep Apnea Oral Appliance discussion