Cure to unclog stuffy sinuses during nighttime

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Cure to unclog stuffy sinuses during nighttime

Postby sonicx6 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:11 pm

I was holding back on this because I wanted to make sure this worked and was not just me. I don't know if there is a known cure like this, but I'm posting this one because I find it really effective just to spread the word. I have read a lot of instances where people would have sleep apnea due to stuffed-up sinuses. I too have experienced it. Like many people, I would try and go to sleep during the night. Right when I lie down, my nose immediately starts to stuff up, like if my body knows when exactly to clog my nose whenever I try to sleep. This would really ruin my night. I'd try sleeping by breathing through the mouth, but it was never the same. I would not get a good sleep and felt like I needed more hours of sleep while at the same time feel tired. Also, I noticed that I'd have allregy-type reactions such as sneezing and itchy/watery eyes right when I fall asleep and wake up. I never liked touching my nose because when I did, I would start sneezing like crazy because it tickled so much. Allergy medicines and nasal sprays worked at first, but would stop working after 3 days use at most. I had to do something in order to unclog my sinuses.

I am 23 years old and I just noticed that it started happening 3 years ago. I did a little research on it and recently found out that I was suffering from rhinitis, even though I found it strange because I knew that I'm not the type of person who gets seasonal allergies. Recently, I realized that even though I don't have seasonal allergies (although I do have asthma), I had non-allergic rhinitis. This is not due to seasonal allergies. Rather, it's a year-long ailment that produces allergic reactions, although with my experiences, it's at a lesser scale. It may be attributed to many things, such as junk collecting inside your nose (which was my case), nasal polyps, pollution, or other impurities. What's bad about it is that you can't get rid of these impurities through normal means. Not even by making your nose discharge mucus or even doing salt water irrigation. It stays in there. I also noticed that I had a bit of sinusitus because I sometimes feel that "bad, bacterial smell" when I sniff a certain way. Sinusitus is usually attributed to rhinitis, though. However, I recently discovered a way to get it out and it doesn't even require surgery or a doctor. Seems to work very quickly, too.

What I do is that I coat the inside of my nostrils with pure eucalyptus oil (right at the end of my nose and also deep inside in the narrow part). For the narrow part, you might need to use your pinky because it's a very small opening. Putting eucalyptus oil in the narrow part is especially important, as it is usually the part where the impurities lie. Oh, and have a whole box of tissues ready because you will immediately start sneezing hard and discharging tons of mucus. It's gonna be hard, but try and keep the oil in for a good hour. Don't do anything to try and flush it out. After an hour, do some salt water irrigation on your nose to remove the oil (click here for more information) because if you leave it for longer, it will be bad for your nose. This may take a few days to get results, but you will definitely see an improvement. Now, my symptoms have disappeared for the most part (I'm still doing it after 3 days), my nose doesn't itch as much, and my nose does not stuff up like before, even in warm/dry conditions. I'm still using a humidifier because I know I'm not fully cured, but I'm definitely on my way. Hope this helps. Oh, and can anyone supply feedback on this because I want to see if it works for anyone else.
Last edited by sonicx6 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonicx6

Postby sonicx6 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:18 pm

I have another tip. You'll very likely have problems with overdry air while you're doing this, so during the nighttime or any other time as needed, you might want to coat the inside of your nostrils with a little vaseline. It helps.

EDIT: Never mind. It seems like every time I put vaseline in my nose, it starts to run and stuffs up more than usual (especially during nighttime). You won't have problems with air as long as it's cool (not "piercing your nose" cold) and moist (which is why I use a humidifier). Also, doing the eucalyptus oil treatment every single day can be bad, as the oil really beats the hell out of your nose. It's good to take a break for one day when you need it. Instead of putting oil in your nose, do some salt water irrigation frequently for that one day. It definitely helps along the healing process.
Last edited by sonicx6 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
sonicx6

Postby melonaide » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:25 pm

hmmm...
I'm not too sure if I would put eucalyptis oil in my nose because I'm wary of putting stuff in my nose because it used to bleed alot but I do know that the smell of it has always kind of opened up my sinuses. Interesting idea for people with stuffy noses. I like the way it smells too. I also wondered if air purifiers help a person feel less fatigued...anyone for that matter seeing as how indoor air can get pretty stuffy. If I lived in the country still, I would sleep with my window open at night but I'm scared to do that around here and always wanted one of those air purifiers. I wonder if they help anything. I have developed breathing problems that aren't even related to apnea and I don't want this stuff to get worse. I yawn and try to catch my breath all day every day and am fixing to get some cheap sub-lingual B12 as well. I had some eucilyptis oil at one time, but I suppose it's in storage......dangit. #-o
melonaide

Postby Vicki » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:28 am

Hi SonicX6,

Nasal congestion is not Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). The cause of OSA is the collapse of throat tissues, far away from the sinuses. Being able to breath through your nose does not cure OSA. It only makes it easier to breath when using a nasal mask for OSA therapy.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby sonicx6 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:22 pm

Vicki wrote:Hi SonicX6,

Nasal congestion is not Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). The cause of OSA is the collapse of throat tissues, far away from the sinuses. Being able to breath through your nose does not cure OSA. It only makes it easier to breath when using a nasal mask for OSA therapy.

Vicki

I never said it would cure OSA. I know there's no cure for OSA. I'm just divesting this information because I do know that this problem does disrupt people's sleep sometimes. My problem as well as many others that I've seen have their sinuses blocked off during the night while sleeping. Sometimes, it's so bad that it can stuff up your whole head. It may not fit the exact definition of Obstructive Sleep Apnea, but it can ruin a person's quality of sleep just the same, as I have experienced and seen it happen to others. It just happens differently while producing similar effects. I never said I had a cure for OSA. Just a solution for problematic sinuses during the nighttime, which in case could help someone's quality of sleep. I know for a fact that I've been sleeping a lot better ever since I started doing this, so I say this just to help out those who suffer from stuffy sinuses during the nighttime.
sonicx6

Postby Gerri » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi Sonicx6

Pure eucalyptus oil, if it works as well as you said to clear the sinus, I wished I had some these last few days. I have allergies, sinus problems, bronchial asthma, along with my severe sleep apnea. I willing to try anything right now to be able to breath and sleep through the night. Can you tell me where to find the pure eucalyptus oil (at local store or pharmacy) and does it have any sulfites in it as a perservative.
Gerri

Stuffy nose

Postby Miss Rumphius » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm a nurse and know that some people have allergic rhinitis, particularly to down pillows. If your pillow is down, try switching to a hypoallergenic foam one. Also, many people are allergic to the dust mites that live in our pillows and bedding. There are millions of them. Best way to deal with this is to get a pillow cover for allergy sufferers that keeps the mites inside. You also might benefit from a similar mattress cover.
Miss Rumphius

Postby Vicki » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:50 pm

Sonicx6,

Thanks for clarifying! I'm sorry, just reading your post it wasn't clear. I was focusing on what you wrote and didn't read your subject heading.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

Vicki

Postby Gerri » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Miss Rumphius

I am going shopping tomorrow, will look into getting those covers for my pillows and mattress, I need to be able to breath.
Gerri

Postby sonicx6 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:53 am

Gerri wrote:Hi Sonicx6

Pure eucalyptus oil, if it works as well as you said to clear the sinus, I wished I had some these last few days. I have allergies, sinus problems, bronchial asthma, along with my severe sleep apnea. I willing to try anything right now to be able to breath and sleep through the night. Can you tell me where to find the pure eucalyptus oil (at local store or pharmacy) and does it have any sulfites in it as a perservative.

It says "100% pure and natural", so I'm guessing it has no sulfite. It doesn't mention sulfites in the ingredients, so it looks fine. The only thing is that it's made in France. My sister brought me some when she came from France. They do have a website, although it's available in French and English. The brand name is Florame, so I sure you can figure out what the website is (I'd post it, but it's against forum rules). The official name of the oil is "eucalyptus globulus." They also have an address if you want to write them to inqure about it. It's 13210 St Remy de Provence, France. I don't really know about how good any other domestic eucalyptus oils are, but I'm seeing quite a few 100% eucalyptus globulus oil places by searching "eucalyptus oil" through google. I don't know about the local pharmacy because a) it's pretty rare to find any in your local pharmacy and b) it's even harder to find one that's pure, but that's just through my experience. Maybe other people know more than I do. Anyway, this should take away all of your symptoms, given time. Every night, I've been sleeping better and better, while my nose feels more clear. In fact, it's been working so well that I'm having trouble adjusting to bedtime without severe sleep apnea, and as a result, it's been throwing off my circadian rhythm. It feels so much better now, though. I only needed 5 hours of sleep last night even. That's the first time that's happened naturally in a LONG time. I can't even remember the last time I didn't have to force myself up with 5 hours of sleep just to fall back asleep later on. It looks like it really works, although I still have a little bit of treatment to go.

Oh, yeah. You say you have bronchial asthma. Do you take any medicines or inhalers for that? Has the problem been lifelong or recent? Acute asthma can be triggered by allergens. I can help you in that area, since my asthma has been lifelong, so I know about treatments. I definitely know that asthma can be a big factor of sleep apnea, as it used to happen to me a lot when I was really young.
sonicx6

The scoop on essential oils

Postby diana » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:29 am

Sonic6x,

Eucalyptus oil is usually steam-distilled, and no preservatives are added.

There are several popular varieties of Eucalyptus oil, each having a slightly different action on the body. E. Globulus is just what you want for respiratory complaints.

If the oil straight out of the bottle is too strong for you, put a drop in a cup, and add 1-5 drops of a good carrier oil. Make sure it's food-grade (can be eaten), please, like almond, sesame, olive. You can find these in the cooking section of your local health-food store. I don't recommend buying the tiny bottles of oil they sell as cosmetics; way too expensive! I figure if it's good enough to put in your mouth...

My favorite distributor of essential oils and carrier oils, by the way, is The Essential Oil Company in Oregon. I've used their brand for years and like their quality.

diana
diana

Postby sonicx6 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:19 pm

I have an update. The eucalyptus oil treatment was a success. I used eucalyptus oil on the insides of my nose and it seemed to effectively clean out all the impurities of my nose. As a bonus, it seemed to take away my non-allergic rhinitis as well as any allergy symptoms I've had. I would not wake up or fall asleep with bad allergy-type symptons. I was able to breathe again without my nose stuffing up on during sleep...for a day or two, anyway. Soon after, my nose would stuff up again during sleep. I would coat the insides of my nostrils with a little ecualyptus oil and even used VapoRub, but after the scent would wear off, they would stuff up again. It was just as bad as before. It seemed like the turbinates in my nose were swelling up so much that they would stuff up my whole head. The turbinates are small bumps on the inside of the bridge of your nose. What they do is that they purify, clean and moisturize the air you breathe. I figured I had to do something to moisturize my turbinates. I used to try vaseline, but it never really worked, so I tried this other treatment I read about: butter. I used butter on the entire insides of my nose and especially on my turbinates through the day (which is deep inside the nose). The day is when your turbinates are mostly contracted, so it's easy to put some moisturizer on them. I was able to have a good night's sleep and not only that, but for the first time in a VERY, VERY long time, I was able to sleep face down (any person who suffers from sleep apnea due to a stuffy nose knows how serious that is), which is the position that the nose stuffs up the most in. I've slept perfectly for three straight days, although you might not be able to sleep well the first and second nights, as you will feel your nose "decompress." That sensation will keep you up, but it's only temporary. After your nose settles down, you should have no problem, although you may still need butter to sleep. One tip is that when you put butter in your nose, clean up any excess mucus coming from your nose and recoat your nose with butter as needed. Also, avoid breathing through your nose, as you will tend to inhale the butter in your nose, which defeats the whole purpose of putting it on. Try it during the day so that you will have less discomfort during the night. That way, you will be able to sleep through your nose during the night. Hope this all helps.

For those who have allergies to milk, it seems that vegetable oil and maybe even olive oil (haven't tested olive oil) can work instead of butter.
sonicx6

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:21 am

Whats next? Peanut butter?

Postby Vicki » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:36 pm

Sinus irrigation works for most people as well. It flushes out all of the mucus, any allergens and pockets of infection. I just use the salt in the recipe, but the Karo syrup acts as a mositurisoer also.

http://www.apneasupport.org/viewtopic.p ... ation#3027

Vicki
Marilyn Vos Savant

Vicki

Postby Gerri » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:44 pm

What is Karo syrup - Is that the same as corn syrup.
Gerri

Next

• Site Supporter