• Site Supporter

CPAP Use - Remedy for Stomach Bloating

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

CPAP Use - Remedy for Stomach Bloating

Postby proverbs3:24 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:21 am

I have been using my CPAP for about a month. Positive results - am very grateful. Do others struggle with stomach bloating? My CPAP is set at 12 because I have severe sleep apnea. Any remedies out there?
proverbs3:24

Postby Vicki » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm

Hi Proverbs!

Stomach bloating is from swallowing air and I've seen posts this week about that issue so maybe someone can give you suggestions as to how to minimize that. But I just want to clarify that your pressure is not set at 12 because you have severe sleep apnea (which I'm sure you do), rather the pressure setting is simply the lowest pressure required to overcome your obstruction. The pressure setting doesn't have anything to do with how severe your apnea is (in frequency), just how hard the air has to push to open your airway.

You may be thinking that a pressure of 12 would leak into the esophagus and cause the stomach to bloat, but that is generally not the case.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby fiona » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:33 pm

hi there just thought i would let you know your not alone.....I have been on cpap for 1 month and i wake up every morning expecting a baby elephant and after about half an hour of (very loud) wind my stomach goes down...much to the amusement of my boyfriend!!!! i will be watching this closely for any remedies. good luck!! :oops:
fiona

Postby dastahl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:39 pm

After 3 months with my CPAP - I have just started to experience severe stomach bloating as well. What is odd is that some days its ok - but somedays I'll wake up and feel as if someone hooked my intestines up to the air pump at the gas station and filled me up to 32 PSI!!!

If anyone talked with a doc and has a reply to why this might be happening - please let me know! :)

Thanks,

D
dastahl

Postby superslacker87 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:15 pm

I have been seen at least twice for aerophagia. Basically what I do to alleviate it is before I go to bed I take two extra strength Gas-X and take two more in the morning before I wake up.

Maybe it's psychological, but it works.
superslacker87

Postby Madre » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:15 pm

Superslacker87,

I don't think it is psychological as that is exactly what my doctor told me to do for this problem. It really does help. If I forget, though. . . . well it is NOT a happy morning.

Madre
Believe in yourself--you are fantastic!!
Madre

Postby JohnnyV » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Ok, I gotta know how you take the two in the morning before you wake up?
JohnnyV

Postby timrailroader » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:59 pm

JohnnyV got a good nights sleep last night. :lol:
timrailroader

Postby timrailroader » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 pm

but seriously, I'm experiencing the bloating also. Its concerning because I've also recently had Lap Band surgery. Its difficult to get the air back out, it gets stuck behind the lap band. I'm hoping the weight loss will get me off the cpap. So far since I've had the surgery I've had two sleep studies. I'm kinda going backwards in pressure, starting at 12 then to 15 now at 17. The bloating wasn't an issue till I was at 15. At 17 its really bad. I appreciate the commiserating but sure hope someone posts a solution that stops the air swallowing. I have enough symptom controls in my medicine cabinet as it is.
timrailroader

Postby bdz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:57 am

I used to get relief by just drinking Selzer water in the morning, but now I take one Phazyme in the am and things start happening at once. I am thinking about trying the charcoal tablets as the Phazyme is not as cheap as I need it to be. :cry: Took a muscle relaxant last night and woke up 9 months pregnant!! I find that taking even Advil or having an alcoholic drink (1, as I am a cheap date) makes me more susceptible to having tons of air.
Barb
Peace begins with each of us, as individuals
bdz

Machine: Fisher Paykel Premo CPAP
Mask: Oracle
Humidifier: Premo
Year Diagnosed: 2007

New with air in stomach

Postby oldfartcg » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Hello:

I am new to this. (3 weeks) the mask reminds me of Alien when the creature grabed the guys mask. and the sounds reminds me of Darth-Vador. But seriously, I can't sleep, as I wake up all the time with a bloated stomach. I also understand the 'sufficating' feeling. They say this is to help me, but I am still Very tired ( as I can't sleep with this thing, particularly the gas - thats why I made up this username). From this thread, either not many people have this issue, or no one has a solution, they say my pressure ranges from 12-14. the plumbing doctor (Gas- somthing) said to get the pressure reduced. I will watch this forum for a solution.

I have already been banished to the basement.
oldfartcg

Postby robysue » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Some practical tips for all of those posting on this thread about aerophagia---the air in tummy leads to gas problem.

In addition to Gas-X and the like, you might want to google GERD. The self-help guidelines for managing GERD often help bring some relief to CPAPers with aerophagia. In particular, you might try eating light suppers, watch what you eat at supper, and not eat for several hours before bedtime. There does seem to be a correlation between OSA sufferers with GERD and OSA sufferers with aerophagia. So when you read through the symptoms of GERD, if they sound familiar, you might want to get tested for GERD.

You also need to make sure that your leaks are under control and in particular that you are not leaking through your mouth. If excess air gets into your mouth, there's a tendency to swallow it.

Finally you might try teaching yourself to fall asleep with your tongue touching the roof of your mouth and the back of your front teeth. When the tongue is in this position, it tends to help keep the CPAP air out of the mouth and inside the upper airway where it belongs.

Finally, if all else fails, bring the issue up with your sleep doctor---particularly if you think you are coming close to simply abandoning CPAP because of the aerophagia: Some people with aerophagia do better on a bi-level machine than they do on straight CPAP or APAP. But switching to a bilevel requires a prescription, a new titration study, and likely a letter of medical necessity sent to the insurance company if you want them to pay for any of it.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:16 pm

And I had no problems w/aerophagia UNTIL I was switched to a bi-level. *sigh* HOWEVER, I'm also at a considerably higher pressure w/my bi-level. From 8 cms straight CPAP pressure, to 8-13 APAP pressure range to IPAP 16, EPAP 11 on bi-level.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Grandma » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Would a full face mask as opposed to a nasal mask make any difference in the amount of air swallowed?
ResMed Quattro Full Face Mask
Proud and happy owner of a new Resmed S9 Autoset
Pressure range 8 to 20
Grandma

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes, it very easily could. It did/does for me.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Next

• Site Supporter