CPAP Equipment Dryers

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

CPAP Equipment Dryers

Postby coolsuits » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:03 am

I know that I don't clean my CPAP tubing and equipment nearly often enough. The main reason for me is the hassle and also frustration with the fact that I can never get the tubing totally dry. However, I recently had a sleep study and saw a brochure from a company called Siestamed that is actually located fairly close to me. They make dryers (called Hurriicane SCE and HE) for both sleep centers and home users. This seems to be a fairly new product as I am not finding a lot of information online. I think the home user version would be a worthwhile investment for me IF it really works. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other equipment that can dry CPAP tubing efficiently?

Thanks, John :?:
coolsuits

Postby Tarhead » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 am

I just run the machine with everything connected without water and the heater turned up to max for 30 minutes. The report separates the drying time data it from the time I am connected.
Tarhead

Postby base2balls » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:32 pm

:-D :-D :-D What I do is put mine under the elctric blanket for about an hour or so and that helps too. I do this when I have a rain out problem also. Sure helps or you could go out side and swing it around like a cowboy with a lasso. Good luck, Huggies, Fay.........P.S. My DME told me I could use a blow dryer on a low setting, but I wouldn't reccomend that as it could melt the hose.
base2balls

Postby jrinker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 pm

If the hose not drying completely is your biggest issue, then base2balls is right - just wash/rinse it out first thing in the morning, then take it outside and swing it around a few times to get most of the water out. (Besides, it will amuse your neighbors! :lol: ) Then just hang it over the shower rod for the rest of the day and it should be dry by night. If not, it will dry out after you've had your machine on for awhile.

Good Luck
jrinker
Resmed Vpap Adapt SV Enhanced, Respironics Fit Life total face mask, Forma full face mask.
Complex apnea, original AHI 80
jrinker

Machine: Resmed Adapt SV Enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby base2balls » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:42 am

:-D :-D :-D I found a site that you might want to have a look at, do a google on Siestamed and they have a machine that dries cpap stuff that is washable. It is called the Hurricane SCE and HE .. The HE one is for the home cpap stuff. Have a look, it is interesting, but I bet it 'll cost a pretty penny. I also saw another site that has a brush for cleaning the hose and I may get that. I can't remember that site, but I'll have to look for it and order that brush next payday as it is inexpensive. Have a great night, Huggies, Fay
base2balls

Postby coolsuits » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:38 am

base2balls: The Siestamed website didn't list pricing for the Hurricane HE. It only had links to a half dozen distributors, one of which is Mvapmed in Newbury Park. I believe that is where you saw the cleaning brush. The Hurricane HE kit is priced at $169 on that site and the brush is included. One of my aunt's lives in Newbury Park so that is why I keyed in on that distributor and haven't checked pricing from the others (yet). John :-D
coolsuits

Postby base2balls » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:09 pm

:-D :-D :-D Yeah I know it didn't list any of the prices , but I just thought it was interesting to look at. I can see why the sleep labs might invest in the Hurricane SCE as it dries 4 sets of cpap equipment and the HE dries one set so I imagime the SCE is quite a bit more expensive than the He It was interesting to look at , but it's amazing they come up with so much stuff for cpap users. I mean every thing from pillows to aroma therapy to cleaning supplies and the whole bit and we may not even need near as much that is advertised. Some things are neede for comfort and others are not needed. A person can make thier own hose buddy and I made a nice dust cover for my machine. I wish we could post pictures. Well I only cover the machine when it is not in use to help keep any dust and such from getting into the machine and not only that is it pretty to look at. My DME told me I should get the pattern patened and sell the pattern since I created it. Well a nice day to go out walking so every one have a great day, Huggies, Fay
base2balls

Postby Janknitz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 pm

I have two hoses (hose?). I can wash one and let it dry as long as it needs to while using the other. I just switch them out. A simple, frugal, and low tech solution :-)
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

Postby jessy 49 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Two hoses -- the $10.00 solution
Hurricane HE -- the $149-$169.00 solution

Seems like a no-brainer to me :-)
jessy 49

Postby Janknitz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 pm

Think of the polar bears you'll save.

For that matter, how many polar bears have to die so we can breathe at night? :shock:
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

Siestamed Hurricane CPAP Suppies Dryer (Home Edition) Review

Postby coolsuits » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:20 pm

All,

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. I did end up purchasing the Hurricane HE002 kit (including RespiKit® cleaning solution and 5 foot CPAP tube brush) from MVAP in Newbury Park and utilized it to dry my equipment last night. I was very impressed with the product. I did not get home until around 4:30 p.m., read the instructions, and cleaned all my equipment in just a few minutes. The CPAP tube brush was very effective and I could feel it gently rubbing against the inside of my CPAP tube. The RespiSoak fluid seems to be a good product too, but it requires you soak your equipment for at least four hours. I did the math and figured out that my CPAP tube and mask would be ready to dry around 9:30 p.m. I then went out for dinner, returned around 10 p.m., and immediately rinsed my equipment, placed it in the Hurricane dryer and set it for 30 minutes. At the end of the 30 minutes the inside of my CPAP tube, which is 8 feet long, was almost entirely dry! The separate one foot section that connects with my mask was still a little wet on the inside so I plugged it into the outlet and set it for 15 minutes. At the end of 45 (30 + 15) minutes my equipment was completely dry! The only thing that I noticed was a little discoloration (actually residue from the cleaning solution) on the pillow, which I was able to remove by rubbing it with a Citrus II CPAP mask wipe. The instructions for the RespiSoak process recommend using RespiClean™ Respiratory Equipment Towels, which I will do next time before I put equipment in the Hurricane HE for drying.

My ratings are as follows:

Hurricane HE dryer = 5 stars (completely dries equipment in 60 minutes or less as advertised)
CPAP tube brush = 5 stars (You can feel it gently scrubbing the inside of the tube so you know you are agitating the surfaces and cleaning it)
RespiSoak cleaning solution = 4 stars (seems to work well but requires soaking for four hours, so you may keep your current cleaning system)

* RespiSoak is manufactured by MVAP and not Siestamed.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the purchase because it frees me to clean and dry my equipment at my convenience. Before I would need to make sure I cleaned it first thing in the morning because it would take an entire day or more to drip dry. No more hanging hoses off my shower curtain like panty hose. No need to swing the hose around like a lasso to get out the water (I don't have a back yard). As for the cost, I rationalized it as follows:

Number of cleanings per week = 1 or 2
Number of weeks per year = 52
Estimated life of the machine = 5 years (although it may last much longer)
Cost amortized over more than 250 cleanings = very low
Convenience (and personal empowerment derived from me controlling my circumstances rather than my medical condition controlling me) = priceless

The polar bear argument rests on global warming science which is not yet proven. However my guess is the very small amount of heat used to dry CPAP equipment would dissipate very quickly. I'm guessing the manufacture of CPAP hoses and tubes introduces more bi-products to the environment.

Thanks again everyone for their help!

John :-D
coolsuits

Postby Tarhead » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 pm

John,
I'm glad you're happy with it. I'm not in a budget situation to be able to afford it. I'll just continue to use the CPAP machine as a tubing dryer after draining most of the water out of it. With the heater turned up to 4, I get the chamber, mask and tubing dry in 30 minutes.
Tarhead

Postby base2balls » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:48 pm

:-D :-D :-D Wow, John. I do have a question on the brush. is it a hard bristle brush or does it have soft bristles. I'm wondering if the brush will cause scratching marks inside the hose over time. I'm thinking about getting the brush on payday, but will have to save for the dryer. I think it would be nice to have when you are pressed for time on the day you usually clean your cpap equipment. So glad you are happy with your purchases. Huggies, Fay
base2balls

Postby Bearded One » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Why are you concerned about drying the inside of your CPAP hose? A wet CPAP hose works just as well as a dry hose. In the past 14 years or so, I have never had a need to dry the inside of my CPAP hose. I can think of many things that would be better to buy after waiting for payday than a CPAP hose brush.

A clean towel as normally found in the bathroom or kitchen works very well to dry the outside of the hose. If really necessary; a small piece of absorbent cloth, a small weight, and a piece of string a foot or so longer than your hose can be assembled into a device that works well to swab the inside of your hose (it can be used for either cleaning or drying).
Bearded One

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I have about 6 years of happy papping...never thought of, not found the need of drying my hose other than swirling it a few times...but then, I am just an old fashioned, non techie, frugal girl...a cheap date ;-)

Good to have this info though... ;-)
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions