CPAP and Rosacea?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

CPAP and Rosacea?

Postby EnglishEric » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi Everyone, I wonder if this rings a bell with anyone? I have been using CPAP since June 2006 with great success for the sleep apnea but coincidentally within 3 months of starting to use the mask on a regular basis I developed pretty full blown Rosacea (persistent red face, particularly the nose) I saw a private consultant dermatologist who diagnosed the condition but would not guess at the cause. I have still got it nearly two years later and it is not only unsightly but also uncomfortably hot (flushed). I know it has to do with the facial blood vessels and it is a fact that my red nose has the exact outline of my nasal mask - hence the question. I manage to wear the mask on average about 7 hours a night and of course the whole exterior of my nose takes a beating from the air pressure but is this is all conjecture on my part? Has anyone else had this particular problem and were they able to deal with it. English Eric
EnglishEric

Re: CPAP and Rosacea?

Postby Todzo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:17 am

EnglishEric wrote:Hi Everyone, I wonder if this rings a bell with anyone? I have been using CPAP since June 2006 with great success for the sleep apnea but coincidentally within 3 months of starting to use the mask on a regular basis I developed pretty full blown Rosacea (persistent red face, particularly the nose) I saw a private consultant dermatologist who diagnosed the condition but would not guess at the cause. I have still got it nearly two years later and it is not only unsightly but also uncomfortably hot (flushed). I know it has to do with the facial blood vessels and it is a fact that my red nose has the exact outline of my nasal mask - hence the question. I manage to wear the mask on average about 7 hours a night and of course the whole exterior of my nose takes a beating from the air pressure but is this is all conjecture on my part? Has anyone else had this particular problem and were they able to deal with it. English Eric

Hi English Eric!

My son has Rosacea, and I have noticed a bit of it myself lately apparently from CPAP use as you describe. As I Google the subject "CPAP and Rosacea" I do get several good on topic hits (and a fair ammount of advertisemet). Frankly I am a bit sleepy now and need to get to bed but if no one else does so will try to remember to form a resource post for the "interesting links" section concerning this issue.

It appears to be partially genetics, partially bacteria, possibly food related, possibly food alergy related. There are several products out there and procedures out there to try.

May we both be less red faced!

Todzo
Todzo

Rosacea

Postby Neet » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:10 pm

I have Rosacea which started 13 years ago. It first began with what appeared to be pimples on my face and at 36, that was quite odd. The doc put me on teenager acne meds which made the pimples go away.The doc diagnosed me with the Rosacea and gave me a gel to use twice daily which will help the condition from worsening. I have only been on CPAP for 2 weeks so I'm not sure how I wil be affected. Rosacea is autoimmune and usually strikes women around 35 years old, but anyone can acquire it. That's what I was told.
Neet

Postby Genie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:19 pm

I have rosacea, and have had for 6 or so years. I have only been using the CPAP for about 18 months so I know that the CPAP did not cause my rosacea. I was advised to use cortisone creme on the rash twice a day to keep it from getting worse. I still use this as the rash tends to be just outside the area covered by my mask. For a brief time, the rash improved when I started the CPAP, but that did not last. Most of the time the rash is pretty stable is size and discomfort.

I have been told that rosacea is found among fair skinned celtic people ..... and as both my mother and my sister also have it, the possibility of a genetic link seems highly likely to me.

Hope that this helps you.
:oops:
ResMed ultra mirage full face mask and ResMed Escape S8 with humidifier. First dx in Jan '07.
Genie

Postby lynn543 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:31 pm

the nasal pillows type masks have less contact with the face
resmed S6 lightweight, respironics comfort gell mask using CPAP since 1995, no humidifier
during my many years of undiagnosed severe fatigue, no doctor ever asked me if I snored
lynn543

• Site Supporter